Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

Can somebody please show me exactly where it officially says Kennedy is stepping down from Lucas Films otherwise this thread is completely useless, like most Star Wars threads of the last 20 or so years.
It doesn't say that anywhere, because this is and always has been pure speculation and wishful thinking.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

10% at best, nowhere near 40% of "planning" The only thing LFL and ILM were aware about was the limited Lucas outline that was eventually scrapped.

The Art of books, interviews, and twitter post tell a different story. George's outline was indeed kept. But mainly for ep8. After Michael Arndt wrote the first draft of 7, which was decided upon before the sale. He concluded that every time Luke showed up he kinda took over. So when J.J. was brought on, he and Lawrence rewrote ep7 shifing the timeline back. Leaving George to say that they had thrown out what he had given, something he said before he had even seen trailer. This means that ep8 became what ep7 was going to be, hence no time jump.

https://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/01/04/star-wars-the-last-jedi-force-awakens-george-lucas-idea/

There's also that bit about george asking the question 'what happens to anakin's/vaders grandkids' - plural.

Not sure who writes the Art of books, but i'd wager LFL has say so over whether or not they go to press, if not control the whole thing. Gotta take those things with a grain or two of salt.

The OT wasn't fully planned out ahead of time. George, originally had 12 flicks planned out in his head. Started at 4, but whittle it to stand alone flick as there was no guarantee of any more. After it was a success he moved forward, but wound up condensing at least 6-9 in ROTJ as he didn't want to continue another 10 years. So, while it wasn't completely planned out - he did know where it was going. The ST? They do their damnedest to make sure everyone thinks they have no clue. Unless they're trying to perpetuate a massive fake out somehow - there's no reason to end all your story points in part 2 of a trilogy. There's absolutely no indication anywhere that JJ and RJ were not given full carte blanche to do whatever they wanted.

You're not getting anyone to believe that without having george's actual treatments. Just not happening. IF they were, he half assed his way through them based on what we've seen to this point.

Just in the first two tweets of that link, two descendants become one, the one doesn't get corrupted, he just 'is' when we meet him, snoke was created off a different idea, etc. Doesn't sound like it follows the treatment too much. Also seems the article's defense is that 'he could have changed his mind later'. While that could betrue, it would seem to be completely buying the corporate tag line. Which i seriously doubt. Also, if that's true, why wouldn't they acknowledge it from the get-go and not only AFTER there was lots of blow back? George wouldn't have trashed luke. That's on RJ i'm sure.

I'm sure elements were kept, but i'm guessing the overall story line wasn't. A Jedi Killer named Talon? Implies luke did restart the Jedi. Otherwise, how can you be a jedi-killer? An inference to that was that Skyler (i.e. Ben) knew Talon and that in the end of 7 or 8, Luke takes down Talon which pushes Skyler off to the dark side Seems very different that what we got. Different to the point of tossing the orignal outlines. Taking a queue here and there does not amount to largely following the treatments.

Again, the word we have is the corporate office who, face it, is a level of damage control. They want us to believe they're telling the truth, give us the treatments. Simple as that.

Does it even matter if this was GL's idea or not? If you like or dislike the film would the person that wrote it being someone different change anyone's mind at this point?
George had a great idea for Star Wars 40 yrs ago but the OT wasn't a one man show. It wasn't great just because of the story. A lot of factors came together to make it great.

There's also that bit about george asking the question 'what happens to anakin's/vaders grandkids' - plural.

Not sure who writes the Art of books, but i'd wager LFL has say so over whether or not they go to press, if not control the whole thing. Gotta take those things with a grain or two of salt.

The OT wasn't fully planned out ahead of time. George, originally had 12 flicks planned out in his head. Started at 4, but whittle it to stand alone flick as there was no guarantee of any more. After it was a success he moved forward, but wound up condensing at least 6-9 in ROTJ as he didn't want to continue another 10 years. So, while it wasn't completely planned out - he did know where it was going. The ST? They do their damnedest to make sure everyone thinks they have no clue. Unless they're trying to perpetuate a massive fake out somehow - there's no reason to end all your story points in part 2 of a trilogy. There's absolutely no indication anywhere that JJ and RJ were not given full carte blanche to do whatever they wanted.

You're not getting anyone to believe that without having george's actual treatments. Just not happening. IF they were, he half assed his way through them based on what we've seen to this point.

Just in the first two tweets of that link, two descendants become one, the one doesn't get corrupted, he just 'is' when we meet him, snoke was created off a different idea, etc. Doesn't sound like it follows the treatment too much. Also seems the article's defense is that 'he could have changed his mind later'. While that could betrue, it would seem to be completely buying the corporate tag line. Which i seriously doubt. Also, if that's true, why wouldn't they acknowledge it from the get-go and not only AFTER there was lots of blow back? George wouldn't have trashed luke. That's on RJ i'm sure.

I'm sure elements were kept, but i'm guessing the overall story line wasn't. A Jedi Killer named Talon? Implies luke did restart the Jedi. Otherwise, how can you be a jedi-killer? An inference to that was that Skyler (i.e. Ben) knew Talon and that in the end of 7 or 8, Luke takes down Talon which pushes Skyler off to the dark side Seems very different that what we got. Different to the point of tossing the orignal outlines. Taking a queue here and there does not amount to largely following the treatments.

Again, the word we have is the corporate office who, face it, is a level of damage control. They want us to believe they're telling the truth, give us the treatments. Simple as that.

From the very start there were 3 main characters, Kira, Skylar, and the Son. Eventually Kira became Rey, Skylar became Sam then Finn. And the Son became "the Jedi Killer" who got named Ben Solo/Kylo Ren.

Kira or Rey, changed the least. She shown from the very start being a young girl on junk planet. Skylar/Sam changed a bit more and gets morphed a bit more. Becoming a turn coat stormtrooper. The Son and "the Jedi Killer" started off as two different people, but not for long. And Luke did restart the Jedi order, but Ben killed most of his students and the rest left to presumably become the Knights of Ren. So Ben is "the Jedi Killer".

I just put these two things together.

In The Art of The Last Jedi, one of concept artists says "We've seen dead a Jedi come back as blue ghosts. Maybe Sith can come back. And maybe there's some all powerful mastermind Sith that's controlling whatever the Dark Side is. We did talk a lot about how the final battle frontier for Jedi might be in the spirit realm. So you have to have a bad guy ghost."

Reminds me a little of how George was wanting to explore the ins and outs of the Force, midi-chlorians, Whills and all that.

The force is no longer The force, seems like the new SW has 2 separate forces that sit on character's shoulders like cartoon devils and angels, whispering in thier ear to " make" them take actions they normally wouldn't. :facepalm
A childish concept that doesn't allow for any real character growth.

The force is no longer The force, seems like the new SW has 2 separate forces that sit on character's shoulders like cartoon devils and angels, whispering in thier ear to " make" them take actions they normally wouldn't. :facepalm
A childish concept that doesn't allow for any real character growth.

Um well that's the way the Force has always been. People cab say it's Buddhist Zen like thing. But Zen stuff doesn't show you the future or the past. It doesn't let people come back from the dead in the form of shimmering ghosts. Or show tangible manifestations that have physical form.

"The Force evolved out of various developments of character and plot. I wanted a concept of religion based on the premise that there is a God and there is good and evil. I began to distill the essence of all religions into what I thought was a basic idea common to all religions and common to primitive thinking. I wanted to develop something that was nondenominational but still had a kind of religious reality."- George Lucas

Um well that's the way the Force has always been. People cab say it's Buddhist Zen like thing. But Zen stuff doesn't show you the future or the past. It doesn't let people come back from the dead in the form of shimmering ghosts. Or show tangible manifestations that have physical form.

"The Force evolved out of various developments of character and plot. I wanted a concept of religion based on the premise that there is a God and there is good and evil. I began to distill the essence of all religions into what I thought was a basic idea common to all religions and common to primitive thinking. I wanted to develop something that was nondenominational but still had a kind of religious reality."- George Lucas

No real world religions give you"visions" of the past or future, or bring people back from the dead. This is still fiction we're talking about. ;)
I don't know when that quote is from (GL changes his mind frequently about his "original" intent) but nothing in it suggests the Force is good or evil, only that good and evil exist.
I've never got the sense that the Force causes people to be good/bad, the light/dark side seems to be within each individual and effects how they tap into the energy field of the force. It never occurred to me that when Luke makes good choices it's the "Lightside" rather than his own heroism. Likewise when he makes poor choices it doesn't seem (to me) that the external "Darkside" is influencing him, more like he's wrestling with the duality of selfishness and selflessness that exists within all human beings.
The idea that the characters are puppets being driven by a schizophrenic Light/Dark Force makes the story uninteresting to me.

I remember reading an interview with Lucas around the time of ROTS where he explains why he introduced the story of Darth Plagueis told by Palpatine,.....it was brought in to explain how Anakin came back as a force ghost at the end of ROTJ......Plagueis teachings were passed onto Palpatine, who also passed on the method onto Vader....

These same teachings were the ones that Qui Gon had been learning,....who then passed onto Yoda & Obi Wan

A Sith cannot become one with the Force unless they release all hate & embrace the light side of the Force,.....which Anakin did when he saved Luke

Things have probably changed since that interview

J

No real world religions give you"visions" of the past or future, or bring people back from the dead. This is still fiction we're talking about. ;)
I don't know when that quote is from (GL changes his mind frequently about his "original" intent) but nothing in it suggests the Force is good or evil, only that good and evil exist.
I've never got the sense that the Force causes people to be good/bad, the light/dark side seems to be within each individual and effects how they tap into the energy field of the force. It never occurred to me that when Luke makes good choices it's the "Lightside" rather than his own heroism. Likewise when he makes poor choices it doesn't seem (to me) that the external "Darkside" is influencing him, more like he's wrestling with the duality of selfishness and selflessness that exists within all human beings.
The idea that the characters are puppets being driven by a schizophrenic Light/Dark Force makes the story uninteresting to me.

The Force is one thing in Star Wars that seems to have changed the least. The Whills were in early drafts, and the most recent thing from George, talking about the Whills. They haven't really changed. And midi-chlorians were talked about by George in 78, and were finally mentioned in 99, completely unchanged.

Oh and remember when Han says he doesn't believe in "one all-powerful force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny." To which Obi-Wan just smiles at, never tries to correct him on.

I remember reading an interview with Lucas around the time of ROTS where he explains why he introduced the story of Darth Plagueis told by Palpatine,.....it was brought in to explain how Anakin came back as a force ghost at the end of ROTJ......Plagueis teachings were passed onto Palpatine, who also passed on the method onto Vader....

These same teachings were the ones that Qui Gon had been learning,....who then passed onto Yoda & Obi Wan

A Sith cannot become one with the Force unless they release all hate & embrace the light side of the Force,.....which Anakin did when he saved Luke

Things have probably changed since that interview

J

Any chance you could find that interview, I'd love to read it.

As of the Clone Wars Dark Side users cannot become Force ghosts. But it seems that they can become more of a traditional ghost, haunting a place or item.

The OT wasn't planned out in detail, but they had a rough idea what the backdrop was(the civil war), what the themes were, and where the characters needed to go. There was cohesion, but not a detailed story.

The PT had an ending and a beginning more or less set, and the fact the Clone Wars had to happen. Everything in between was filler.

The ST had a start point and a question to answer. Beyond that, it was to be a round robin hand off.

In all cases I think it's obvious what worked well, what was passable, and what was a mess.

The Force is one thing in Star Wars that seems to have changed the least. The Whills were in early drafts, and the most recent thing from George, talking about the Whills. They haven't really changed. And midi-chlorians were talked about by George in 78, and were finally mentioned in 99, completely unchanged.

Oh and remember when Han says he doesn't believe in "one all-powerful force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny." To which Obi-Wan just smiles at, never tries to correct him on.
You're confusing what GL says with what is on the screen, Midichlorians and the whills or whatever aren't in the OT. If the audience isn't made aware of what's in a writer's head then it's not part of the story being told.

You're confusing what GL says with what is on the screen, Midichlorians and the whills or whatever aren't in the OT. If the audience isn't made aware of what's in a writer's head then it's not part of the story being told.

Nevertheless the Whills and midi-chlorians were on his mind while he was writing Star Wars. Just because they aren't mentioned, doesn't necessarily mean they are not there.

It doesn't say that anywhere, because this is and always has been pure speculation and wishful thinking.
It was not posted as speculation but as rumours supposedly originating from within a Disney subsidiary. If the source has been debunked then I would like to see info on that.

According to the rumours from months ago, she should be stepping down some time this month.

Nevertheless the Whills and midi-chlorians were on his mind while he was writing Star Wars. Just because they aren't mentioned, doesn't necessarily mean they are not there.

Actually that's exactly what it means!
It doesn't matter what was on Leo's mind when he painted the Mona Lisa, what matters to the viewer is what made it on the canvas. Likewise with George, what matters is what made it into the OT, not what he thought about or clumsily attempted to shoehorned in 20 years later.
I get we view the story differently, using the force as what I see as a weak plot device just doesn't work for me.

It was not posted as speculation but as rumours supposedly originating from within a Disney subsidiary. If the source has been debunked then I would like to see info on that.

According to the rumours from months ago, she should be stepping down some time this month.

That is just it, unless someone is willing to put their name behind one of these rumors they are just wishful thinking and mean nothing. Having 104 pages, as of now, based on a rumor is just nuts.

Hold your breath waiting. I double dog dare ya. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That is just it, unless someone is willing to put their name behind one of these rumors they are just wishful thinking and mean nothing. Having 104 pages, as of now, based on a rumor is just nuts.

No, there are no more than 6 six pages that deal with the thread title subject. The fact it is 104 pages is because someone wants to make the most of his fifteen minutes of fame after being chased out of the You Tube comments section. Would people be more or less offended if this thread were only 7 or 8 pages long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back