GOTG: Milano Tapedeck by Nova Props

IronManiac

Sr Member
I've wanted one of these hanging on my wall for a while, so let's see how it goes. :)

Started by drawing it out in illustrator:

Screen Shot 2015-05-20 at 10.49.31 PM.png

Work on some knobs:

Screen Shot 2015-05-20 at 10.51.13 PM.png

Move everything to autodesk and begin modeling:

Screen Shot 2015-05-20 at 10.37.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-20 at 10.38.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-20 at 10.38.45 PM.png

Now to start construction. We're considering a few different methods. Anybody have experience with CNC milling MDF?

awesome, are you going to CNC the metal parts?
Please show how you do your large knob bezels, that was probably the most difficult part.
I was able to find the wood at the local Home Depot.

good luck.

We are looking into CNC to machine the knobs. For our kits we would likely offer casts of the metal knobs to save our clients money. I'm sure custom CNC'd knobs in every kit would get expensive.

The frame of the tapedeck will likely be MDF that we paint or finish to look like metal. As for the large knob bezels, I will model them and 3d print.

We are looking into CNC to machine the knobs. For our kits we would likely offer casts of the metal knobs to save our clients money. I'm sure custom CNC'd knobs in every kit would get expensive.

The frame of the tapedeck will likely be MDF that we paint or finish to look like metal. As for the large knob bezels, I will model them and 3d print.

Is the face going to be plywood? How are you going to replicate the wood grain?

I'm thinking 1/4" plywood that has a finished wood surface, you can stain in it and you're ready to go. We'll have the plywood milled out to the right shape as well as cutting the holes for the knobs, gauges and tapedeck. We want a kit that's pretty easy to assemble.

No we had a hard time finding a reliable person with a laser cutter. However a good friend of ours just got a new one on Wednesday!! We're hoping to make this a reality soon.
Kevin Gossett is printing the knobs on his form2 for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back