Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial (Master Thread)

Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial

Hi everyone!
I've been aging my aluminium with bleach solution - the pommel has darkened really well yet the booster and upper section has
turned quite a bronzey colour - anyone else had this happen? Also here are all my dents in the pommel!
IMG_0905.JPGIMG_0913.JPG

Hi everyone!
I've been aging my aluminium with bleach solution - the pommel has darkened really well yet the booster and upper section has
turned quite a bronzey colour - anyone else had this happen? Also here are all my dents in the pommel!
View attachment 825954View attachment 825955

thanks for sharing with the bleach trick! what do you actually do? just dip it in? how long does it soak? very cool trick!

Alright, i finally figured out what i was doing wrong. Special shout out to Trooper Trent for hooking me up with this combo. the video is long, but it kinda has to be to explain how this all goes.. sorry if im babbling or mumbling... ive shot these clips late at night a few nights this past week...

Last edited by a moderator:

Updates:

- added wind vane color video to video index

- while doing the stencils on the next v2 im working on, i have taken new pictures to update the thread

- We have seen that a bunch of people have been having a hard time aligning stencil 2 with stencil 1. i have talked with trent, and he has come up with some really simple ways to double check you alignment line before applying the stencil. I have this video in the works, really easy, really simple.

- Working on clamp mod video

I have to apologize, i have way too much on my plate right now in the real world... very overwhelmed. i plan on sitting down one night this weekend and just relying back to all the PM's. thats itself is overwhelming

sorry i havent been as active as i normally am. just been the busiest ive every been in my whole life.. still appreciate all the positive comments, really means a lot to me guys!

I need to make some time to start on my v2! I know I will be back when I need some tips and tricks. Great following along buddy!

I need to make some time to start on my v2! I know I will be back when I need some tips and tricks. Great following along buddy!

Thank you! I gotta update this weekend with a few more trent tips

This week has been a living hell... can’t wait to start a new one Monday and forget this past one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@halliwax - Great video, amazing you had time despite your week - thank you!
1/3 bleach 2/3 water - leave in there between 4 - 8 hours depending on darkness required. Wire wool 0000, then repeat to build up depth.

Wow great stuff on the windvane!

Going by Brendan's photo, do you think the whole lower portion of the neck should be brown too?

Wow great stuff on the windvane!

Going by Brendan's photo, do you think the whole lower portion of the neck should be brown too?

At the time of ANH it was, but now much has come off. There’s defiantly remains on the bottom neck...

And even some brown on chips on the emitter...

45d671fee814d4cbf2cba00b4c709db0.heic

Don’t fret Kylash, when I go to paint trents I’m going to cover it :p

I’m working on the clamp videos next, and showing off the kylash chip ;)

So I sprayed my emitter with that Professional Rustoleum Flat Black and found that its really easy to chip off with a fingernail after curing overnight. I'm not sure if I just had too many oils on the aluminum before painting? Its pretty impossible to get those stencils on without ever touching the metal if you clean it first so I'm not sure.

So I sprayed my emitter with that Professional Rustoleum Flat Black and found that its really easy to chip off with a fingernail after curing overnight. I'm not sure if I just had too many oils on the aluminum before painting? Its pretty impossible to get those stencils on without ever touching the metal if you clean it first so I'm not sure.

after you apply the stencil, you can wipe the whole thing down with alcohol and a cotton swap. The exposed parts are what need to be free of oils anyway. you could also lightly mist with a very very light coat of primer also. Rustoleum also makes a 2 in 1 primer paint. A lot of people say they don't like it but I've never had any issue.

Ok, I just assumed the alcohol would wipe the stencils off. Good to know:).

Ok, I just assumed the alcohol would wipe the stencils off. Good to know:).

The stencils are vinyl so rubbing alcohol done lightly with a swab, taking care to focus on exposed aluminum should be just fine.

What exactly is rubbing alcohol for us non-english. Is it acetone (which i believe will possibly melt vinyl) or heptane (C7H16) or just ethanol?

Alcohol should be only ethanol. Everything like pentan, hexan or heptan or aceton will definitely melt the vinyl.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

What exactly is rubbing alcohol for us non-english. Is it acetone (which i believe will possibly melt vinyl) or heptane (C7H16) or just ethanol?

Isopropyl alcohol, but it looks like maybe it is a controlled substance in Sweden and prohibited.
in that case, any mild cleaner that is good for removing oils should be ok. maybe glass cleaner.

Maybe there is a girlfriend or wife with aceton free nailcleaner. That should work fine, too.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial

Hey gang, have to apologize for being a ghost. I seen a few guys having issues with lining up stencil 1 with stencil 2. So I made this quick video a few nights ago

But haven’t had a friggin minute to my self to update here

So here is a quick alignment video

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back