2013 Movie Recommendations

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
Time to roll back another year!

I am always on the lookout for good movies I haven't seen. They don't have to be blockbusters or Oscar winners. Just something good that I may have missed. Right now, I am looking back at 2013.

Here are the movies I liked from 2013.... and there are a LOT of them! If you can think of any movies from 2013 that you liked that aren't on this list, please post them and I'll give them a shot!

My top 3 films for 2013:
Man of Steel
The Wolf of Wall Street
Lone Survivor

Worth Watching:
47 Ronin
After Earth (Stop laughing... it had... moments)
Carrie
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2
Coherence
Despicable Me 2
Elysium
Ender's Game
GI Joe Retaliation
Gravity
Her
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
House Hunting (this is a really great low-budget film!)
How I Live Now
The Hunger Games (whatever one came out that year)
Insidious 2
Iron Man 3
Mud
Now You See Me
Oblivion
Olympus Has Fallen
Pacific Rim
Prisoners
Riddick
Star Trek: Into Darkness
Thor: The Dark World
The Wolverine

Last edited:
This Is The End
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone
The World's End
Rush
Captain Philips
Escape Plan ( hey, its Ahnuld and Sly!)
American Hustle

I second kalkamel's recommendation for..

The World's End
This Is The End
Rush

Along with..

Frances Ha
Upstream Color
The Hunt

The World's End was pretty good/funny (although not as much as Hot Fuzz).

Didn't care for American Hustle.

Adding all the rest to my queue.

This Is The End

My review: Do you ever feel like you shouldn't like something but despite your best efforts, for some undefinable reason you like it anyway? That is my general feeling with Seth Rogen and his usual company of comedians. I don't like him. I don't like his humor. I don't like Jonah Hill. I hate Danny McBride. I had to lookup to even find out who Jay Baruchel was.... you get the point. Despite all that, I liked this movie and found myself laughing throughout. This is the second time this has happened. The first was The Interview; another movie I absolutely should not have liked, yet for some reason, I did. I don't know what more there is to say except this movie had a lot of funny moments, and isn't that what a comedy should be?

Captain Philips

My review: I feel like this was made in such a way as to create a sense of humanity and therefore sympathy toward the plight of the pirates and the world they live in. However, as Captain Philips says, "You are not just a fisherman!" I simply endured two hours of film so I could get to the part where Seal Team Six arrives. Tom Hanks does a great job, but instead of being captivated by the story or being drawn into it I just kept waiting for "that part" and found myself checking the film time several times to see how much longer I was going to have to wait. Worth a watch? Sure. As great as I remember everyone saying it was a couple of years ago? Not to me.

Frances Ha

My review: I simply couldn't get past the 20 minute mark. I don' t know what this film is about but it certainly couldn't capture my interest.

My review: Watching this story unfold was one of the most uncomfortable and upsetting situations I have experienced in a while, mostly because the situation seemed so plausible and so utterly hopeless. I kept asking myself "what would I do in a situation like this?" and the answer is, there is NOTHING you could do... just nothing at all. Watching this in 2018, in the middle of a witch-hunt where virtually every man in America being accused of some type of misconduct (real or imagined), the point is only further driven home. When I was younger, I worked with children and younger teens a lot at summer camps, and it is scary to think about the things that could have happened from just the word of one angry person. Between this movie and our current cultural climate I am left never wanting to talk to any woman or child again. Getting back to the film, I am not sure I could call it "great" but it was exceedingly effective and very emotionally charged. Mads did an amazing job and this one is well worth the watch.

A couple really good movies from this year are Dunkirk and Darkest Hour.....these two movies almost go hand-in-hand actually, as Darkest Hour is about Churchill's anguish at making such wrenching political decisions during World War II (during the battle at Dunkirk), and then the movie Dunkirk is about the actual battle. You almost have to watch Darkest Hour with Dunkirk to appreciate what's happening outside both situations, and both are really superbly done!

A couple really good movies from this year are Dunkirk and Darkest Hour.....these two movies almost go hand-in-hand actually, as Darkest Hour is about Churchill's anguish at making such wrenching political decisions during World War II (during the battle at Dunkirk), and then the movie Dunkirk is about the actual battle. You almost have to watch Darkest Hour with Dunkirk to appreciate what's happening outside both situations, and both are really superbly done!

Saw Dunkirk. It was certainly interesting. Haven't watched Darkest Hour yet.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back