Anton Yelchin dead

NuChekov joins old Spock in the great beyond. RIP.

I was 200% sure this had to be a mistake. But as always, age doesn't matter one bit. What an odd way to go :(
Eff you 2016.

Unreal.

Thank you Anton Yelchin,

... you made my day when first watching you in your role as Chekov ... you'll be sadly missed :cry

Chaim

I'm not too sure they would do that. Recasting roles after an actor has taken multiple outings as the character have become pretty frowned upon by viewers IMO, and especially in this case when the new Trek will be one of his last big roles. If they were to re-reboot the series sure, but in continuity I don't think viewers or even the crew would be happy to go on without him playing the character. When it's a death that pulls an actor from future outings vs contract disputes/etc. you can't even lampshade the change with a joke (like when Cheadle shows up in IM2) because it would be in bad taste.

dick-york-dick-sargent-darrin-stephens_zpsjtpiw2b9.jpg

my hair has stood up in shock to many times this year.... as others have stated I also really like him... 2016 (WTF???) has truly left me lost and sad.... :cry

Such sad news! I've been pretty bummed since I first heard about it.

Though it was the only role I've seen him in, I remember speaking fondly of his take on Chekov back when Star Trek hit in 2009. He brought that bright-eyed innocence and eagerness to do good to the crew, keeping me grounded in peacekeeping mission Captain Pike spoke of. It's sort of an gushy take on it, but he made me believe that the peaceful foundation was still there, under all the drama and visual excitement.

Star Trek Beyond will be bittersweet to watch.

My money's on him being replaced,but if they do kill the character off they could play it as the time line is really screwed up.

But I doubt it.

Really a weird death,unfortunate,tragic (a word I hate),unexpected all rolled into one horrible little package.

gunnerk19 I did say has BECOME frowned on, especially in this world of long running cinematic universes. Viewers are fairly conscious of continuity, especially with a member of the principal cast. I know it could be done, but I dont think it should be, but I'm against recasting 9 times out of 10

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, in Game of Thrones we've had two Daario Naharis-es, and three Gregor Cleganes, and none of those actors died.

I think folks would be accepting of another actor stepping in to play Chekov, especially under the circumstances.

Terribly sad news. So much talent and career ahead of him. Another celeb joins the 27 club. Its quite a list if you have seen it before including people like Amy Winehouse, Jimmy Hendrix, Jim Morrison and Kurt Cobain.

Thats one hell of a show he's got going in upstairs.

They could just have Chekov Regenerate. It's not like Trek hasn't "Borrowed" from Dr. Who before. Maybe a transporter accident makes him come out different.

They could just have Chekov Regenerate. It's not like Trek hasn't "Borrowed" from Dr. Who before. Maybe a transporter accident makes him come out different.

Maybe older? In this way Walter Koenig could return as Chekov. And die, similar to Kirk in "Generations".

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back