The inconel Obi saber emitter...

ssdesigner

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I know that it's been discussed here before, but I'd like to think that with every part found, and every detail followed with these parts....why not try to get a limited run going?

So what if they cost a few hundred dollars a piece? I'm wondering if 100+ people were on board, why couldn't this happen?

-Ss

I would get a couple. I have tried to get quotes a few times. Most shops balk, not because of the price of the material (which is high), but because of the cost of tools, machine time needed, and tool breakage due to difficulty in machining inconel. I also asked about press fitting the parts together and then machining the emitter face.

Would be great to see this finally done.

I thought inconel would be hard to machine too, but when we got all those Bps, I was first to try to modify a male pipe and I lathed it down just fine here at home. Nice clean cut. Granted it was a small cut and didn't take a lot of effort...

It would be nice. It certainly has a specific look... especially after all burned up.

Are both the inside and the outside the original balance pipe in inconel? I remember hearing a long time ago that only the inside part would have been inconel and that the outer part was steel.

Are both the inside and the outside the original balance pipe in inconel? I remember hearing a long time ago that only the inside part would have been inconel and that the outer part was steel.

Nope, solid inconel unless I'm deeply mistaken....

There are several alloys of inconel and I messaged some suppliers a few months ago to see if any knew which would have been used on vintage RR jet engines. Most didn't even respond, or just sent a "No idea." It would be a shame to get these made using the wrong type of inconel. If I were to join a group buy, I would want to know that this detail had been established with a reasonable degree of certainty.

You are correct. I mentioned that. There are 3 versions of the BP. Only one had an inner part made of Inconel.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back