Alita: Battle Angel (Post-release)

What did you think of Alita: Battle Angel?

• Total voters
The eyes weirded me out at first but I can understand that it’s pretty much how she looked in the manga. I would expect to really hate on this but, as a fan of the manga, I’m actually really impressed at how faithful a lot of the shots looked compared to the way the art was paneled in the comics (e.g. her new arms). When I saw that it’s Robert Rodriguez directing it all made sense. Rodriguez is a comic artist himself and did that great adaptation of Sin City (the good one). He knows how to visually translate comics to screen verbatim like nobody else. If you know the comics this actually looks really good. I just hope I can get over the eyes.

I understand that she's an android/non-human, but I'm really tired of these uncanny cgi faces that continue to populate movies lately. I would like to see these stories told where I don't have to suspend disbelief and look past a rubber face, no matter how well done it is. I will probably see the movie because it looks like interesting sci-fi in spite of those decisions.

In the manga and anime, everyone was drawn in a manga style.

BTW, I wish they made this movie five-ten years ago starring Christina Ricci. She (had) got the right look for the character without any CGI -- and already got an aura about her of being dangerous and adorable at the same time which would fit right in.
Although ... where as now people compare this movie to Ghost In The Shell, a few years ago people would have compared it to anything with Summer Glau. :p

In the manga and anime, everyone was drawn in a manga style.

BTW, I wish they made this movie five-ten years ago starring Christina Ricci. She (had) got the right look for the character without any CGI -- and already got an aura about her of being dangerous and adorable at the same time which would fit right in.
Although ... where as now people compare this movie to Ghost In The Shell, a few years ago people would have compared it to anything with Summer Glau. :p
Since Elysium ripped off the manga shamelessly in concept and design there might also be some comparison there.

It seems they're grabbing material from at least the first 4 volumes. That's a bit of a shame. Her gradual evolution as a character across the volumes is one of the things I liked best about the manga. If they're trying to cram all 9 of the first volumes of the first series it'll be a mess. I wish they would have just stuck to the first 1-2 volumes because there's plenty of story there alone.

Then again I never thought Zack could fit Watchmen into a single movie but he did (even if the story was somewhat corrupted).

But most importantly the action, violence and horror should be as hyperbolic as they are in the manga otherwise it'll be a total waste. I would expect a hard "R" or "unrated" if that were the case. If it's "PG-13" I might just rent it instead.

Last edited:
I just don't understand their decision to Roger Rabbit this.
I'd be much more interested if it was a real person instead of a cartoon.

I guess this is for people like me, I only have a cursory understanding of manga and was never even remotely interested in reading any of it.

However, I may see this movie at the theater which is saying something becuase I only do thast 2-3 times a year.

Not seeing any Motorball in that trailer. I predict a GITS style weak sauce adaption. Mangas are generally too deep or too weird for Hollywood, and BAA is really just Alita/Gally's life and adventures with no concise plotline.

I'm not at all familiar with this particular Manga, so I have no preconceptions. I think it looks decent, and I'll go out on a limb here and say this is more like what Ghost in the Shell should have been.

This is one of the films that I look forward to watching this December. The trailer itself looks interesting, I just hope that they will correct the release date that they post on the trailer in YT and in google.

OK this is looking better after this trailer.

I don't know how they're going to depict her panzer kunst. The manga depicts beautiful static shots of her tumbling in mid-air where it's impossible to work out her actual physical mechanics. I think it would be a cop-out if they only had her doing only fast martial arts moves. I hope RR finds a credible way to work in some of those bizarre moves.

latest?cb=20130518061804.jpg

BA01-126.jpg

And if they can’t portray the gore I want there to be an unrated director’s cut in 4K to be released.

D3F2835E-2799-420B-A52F-D67A979373D6.jpeg

If anyone is interested the original 1993 anime is also up on youtube. Only an hour long but I remember really liking it as a kid.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back