Hindsight..the time travel book you were looking for

dimejinky99

Hindsight - Matthew Keegan

I’m not a fan of time travel usually but this book changed that. It’s brilliant. It’s on amazon for $4. Really well written and thought out. Give it a go you’ll be glad you did. This is the blurb

The year is 2065.
The super-rich have a new way to vacation and collect rare items, Time Travel.
One man can allow you to travel back in time to witness a major event, see an old friend or relative long gone or to attain a rare work of art.
But you cannot interact, you cannot divert from the path and you must not change what takes place.
Thomson Carr is the creator of the Market, a man ‘out of time’ most of his life, and with the assistance of a specially selected team he can offer these services.
Martin Townes is a man that simply wants to right a wrong. Nothing more, and he’ll do whatever it takes to achieve it.
Even if it means shattering time.
Spanning hundreds of years in time, The Market will take us to places and lead us to mysteries we never had fully answered, offering a glimpse of what was, and always asking the question…

What would you change…in hindsight?

I’d go back and stop 9/11 from happening

Interesting. I've often thought the same thing, but how exactly would you go about doing that? Call the Pentagon? Do you really think they would believe you? And if they didn't and then it still happened, you better believe you would be right at the top of the list of suspects. Are you going to try and explain that you are a time traveler? And if you can't prove that you are--your ass is grass.

It's a great idea and I'm right there with you on it, but seriously, how would you do it?

Last edited:
Doctor Who has an elegant way to describe the inability to change major events like WW2, the attack on Kennedy and the sinking of the Titanic: He defines them as "fix points" in space and time. No matter how you try it, these events are going to occur one way or another. There is no way to stop them from happening. I think the reason for that is that humanity needs catastrophies to evolve and learn. Just imagine someone killed Hitler in the 1920s. That might have prevented the Holocaust, however, how would history, technology and society have looked like then afterwards? There would have been no European Union, no advance in rocket technology, no space race. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not "pro-War" or so. However, mankind would be lulled in a false sense of security if there was some kind of "time police" that eradicated unpleasant events from history before they have become history.

Second thought: Just imagine a time traveller comes into our present to prevent a catastrophy from happening. How would society react toward him? If he tries to convince people using words I'm sure he won't be heard. People would think he would be a madman and maybe would put him into a sanatorium. If he tries to actually change history using measures like sabotage and / or murder he will be hunted down and put behind bars or executed.

Third thought: Let's imagine there already IS a "Time Cop" project that operates covertly, under the radar and independently from any authority we know. They analyse all events and decide what to do to prevent certain disasters. They need to carefully select and dissect every piece of the puzzle that leads to the catastrophy. Many times they succeed by using ways they disguise as accidents or coincidences no-one will ever be able to uncover (like setting a fire that destroys a technical device which could pave the way to a Terminator). They could already be active without us noticing. Maybe they are unable to stop certain things from happening because they are too big to handle, but maybe they are able to change things to make the effects less grave (like "allowing" WW2 to happen but at the same time preventing WW2 to culminate into a nuclear destruction of Earth).

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back