Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I'm surprised that Mr Takahashi incorrectly remarked that the MPC Falcon was based on the Episode V design, when it actually came out before then. But that nitpickiness aside, it's fun to see how unabashedly thrilled and proud he is to have worked on this thing. Don't blame him. :)

I'm surprised that Mr Takahashi incorrectly remarked that the MPC Falcon was based on the Episode V design, when it actually came out before then. But that nitpickiness aside, it's fun to see how unabashedly thrilled and proud he is to have worked on this thing. Don't blame him. :)

The subtitles got it wrong in that part. What he is actually saying is: "... there was one (Episode IV version kit) from MPC a long time ago, but the many kits which followed were based on Episode V."

I went to a self-organized exhibition of a group of modelling enthusiasts today, and they had a finished perfect grade Falcon on display.

View attachment 764403View attachment 764404View attachment 764405

Anazing work on that Falcon.

Btw, does anyone where to get those type of stands, or what they are called??

Also, anyone remember when USA Gundam said the estimated shipping for these would be??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously, whoever set this up is a filmmaker or photographer. It looks like a light stand with a grip swivel on it. I guess they glued a 5/8ths bolt (or a tripod quick change socket) inside the body of the Falcon. With this rig, the model is easy to move into many poses. The downside would be that the light stand legs would take up a lot of room on the floor. I think it would be fairly easy to build tubular mounting points into this kit from the rear quarter or the bottom, so you could have a choice of the mounting rig.

Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Obviously, whoever set this up is a filmmaker or photographer. It looks like a light stand with a grip swivel on it. I guess they glued a 5/8ths bolt (or a tripod quick change socket) inside the body of the Falcon. With this rig, the model is easy to move into many poses. The downside would be that the light stand legs would take up a lot of room on the floor. I think it would be fairly easy to build tubular mounting points into this kit from the rear quarter or the bottom, so you could have a choice of the mounting rig.

Thanks Sourdoh, ive been thinking if adding this to my 1/72 falcon and my McQuarrie X Wing.
Only trouble is that o know those swivel mounts occasionally get loose. Hate to have it give out.

Thanks Sourdoh, ive been thinking if adding this to my 1/72 falcon and my McQuarrie X Wing.
Only trouble is that o know those swivel mounts occasionally get loose. Hate to have it give out.

You should be fine with something as light and small as this Falcon. I use swivel ball mount stands on my much heavier SS Y and X wings with metal armatures with no problem.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

You should be fine with something as light and small as this Falcon. I use swivel ball mount stands on my much heavier SS Y and X wings with metal armatures with no problem.

Thanks Kokkari.

Any tips on specific brands or types?

Been looking at security camera swivel mounts but the black ones (the color i prefer) only have poles that are about 5".
Looking for something a bit longer. Maybe 7" or 8"?

Also, any tips for reinforcing the hole where it attaches to the model?

Thanks Kokkari.

Any tips on specific brands or types?

Been looking at security camera swivel mounts but the black ones (the color i prefer) only have poles that are about 5".
Looking for something a bit longer. Maybe 7" or 8"?

Also, any tips for reinforcing the hole where it attaches to the model?

A lot of guys like the Panavise stands. They make them all different sizes. 6, 9 inch or telescoping.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/272614682685

I have to wait until I get my Falcon in hand to figure out how to mount it. I don't know what I have to work with on the inside until I can see it.

One of the great things about this kit, is that during the assembly, there are tons of instances where you get to gaze the ingenious details of the Falcon from forbidden angles.

P2030652rs.jpg

The upside about ordering from Culttvman, besides the price, is they conservatively estimated the ship date. No disappointments and possibly a nice surprise :)

C'mon. How many of us would do more than fondle parts and watch other builds for reference in the next couple of months if we got it today?

Well, if Sprue Brothers had the kit, it'd be great. They are so quick you get stuff a day or two before you even order it. As it is, I pre-ordered with Amazon two months ago thinking the end of October was conservative. Like they were thinking, "We'll have it by the end of October for sure, but probably sooner." Shoulda known it was Amazon. Stuff pretty much never gets here late, but it never gets here early, either.

I have added a mount to replace the kit stand.
I did some measurements and 3D-printed this in nylon...

P2030495rs.jpg

... in which a long-nut was inserted, and simply glued to the lower hull like this:

P2030513rs.jpg

I have sacrificed the lower gunport interior, but not the window frame (The turret may be placed if the mounting rod is unscrewed).

P2030659rs.jpgP2030663rs.jpg

I know that I could have used a less bulkier mount if it were just for static display purpose, but I wanted something reliable to go through the building and painting process.
The grip head shall be replaced with a much lighter stand when the model is finished.

Once you start assembling this kit, you realize that you need to think of ways to securely hold the body upside-down while you paint the underside.
I have designed the mount so that the rod can be screwed both ways, until the upper gunbay interior is glued for good.

P2030658rs.jpg

The temporary grip head enables the body to be held in desired angles during the assembly and the painting.

P2030667rs.jpg

I have added a mount to replace the kit stand.
I did some measurements and 3D-printed this in nylon...

View attachment 766887

... in which a long-nut was inserted, and simply glued to the lower hull like this:

View attachment 766888

I have sacrificed the lower gunport interior, but not the window frame (The turret may be placed if the mounting rod is unscrewed).

View attachment 766892View attachment 766904

I know that I could have used a less bulkier mount if it were just for static display purpose, but I wanted something reliable to go through the building and painting process.
The grip head shall be replaced with a much lighter stand when the model is finished.

Once you start assembling this kit, you realize that you need to think of ways to securely hold the body upside-down while you paint the underside.
I have designed the mount so that the rod can be screwed both ways, until the upper gunbay interior is glued for good.

View attachment 766907

The temporary grip head enables the body to be held in desired angles during the assembly and the painting.

View attachment 766908
This is fantastic Lab! I like how the structure of your mount interlocks with the given nooks for stability.

would there be a way to add an additional mount inside one of the docking rings, the way the studio model was rigged? This thing is just begging to be filmed against a bluescreen as though it were the 5' original...

I'm sure, where there is a will, there is a way.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back