Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

=Thank you. This isn't the first time you've done what you did either ...

Maybe you can point out what exactly I did, because I'm still trying to figure it out. Where was I "trying to be an expert". The only thing I can find is you refuting something I posed about the engine lighting that Bandai said. I'm not sure how I come off as an expert in this post with all the question marks.

"So is it total RPF folklore then that the engine vents were functional in order to cool the engine lighting? I always assumed that there were engine lights. Didn't the Bandai crew that examined the model say that they were white lights?"

Then there was your post right after.

"Bandai said the engine lights in the film were white. That is, as you see them in the film. They said nothing about the model being lit. I seem to remember that the engine glow was rotoscoped in."

I ask, who is coming across as the expert?

Following this post multiple people said the engines were lit also, yet I'm the one that is arrogant and an "expert"? Anyone who actually knows me on these boards, knows that I am not this way. I would invite you to ask yourself if I really said anything that was different than anyone else? Who is the one calling people out by name and criticizing them publicly? This is the last I will say of it so these people can concentrate on the subject at hand. I refuse to be bullied by someone sitting behind a keyboard.

It seems clear that a large model dish, larger and independent of the five foot set, was made for Star Wars (1977), but it was only used in a very brief moment during the Death Star escape sequence. Which is odd they went to all that trouble, as it's a pretty motion-blurred pan of a clip. Perhaps they were thinking of using the model elsewhere but never did.

You can see that there are a few subtle differences between the five foot dish and the large dish. The battle scars are different, the pipe details are slightly different, the curved edge has additional detail on the large dish, and so on.

Five foot dish, from movie freeze frame:

View attachment 763795

Large dish, from movie freeze frame:

View attachment 763796

Large dish model, from Chronicles book:

View attachment 763797

Look at THAT! You're right. Yeah, it seems like only that one shot made it into the finished film. Very cool! I wonder then if that was the dish they motion controlled later in ROTJ to represent the dish impact.
B5gtlGO.jpg

I'm still not convinced this isn't a "tomato/tom-ah-to" thing, J. Not saying you're wrong, but personal tastes and all.

Well theres no argument there,....its tomato, Ha

The colours in the SE's are terrible.....go back to what was originally there,....a lot more to be appreciated

J

Well theres no argument there,....its tomato, Ha

The colours in the SE's are terrible.....go back to what was originally there,....a lot more to be appreciated

J

By "originally" do you mean the 2006 DVDs or the 2003 DVDs? Or the laserdiscs? Or the 1990s VHS versions? Or the 1980s VHS versions? Or the original films prints (that often varied from theater to theater)? 35mm prints or the 70mm prints? I mean, what is the baseline and who determines whether its acceptable, the filmmakers or the fans? If its the fans, where do I vote on who gets the final say? :cheers:p

Well....the 2006 GOUT release is the best we have officially of the pre Lowry Digital clean-up.......the colours depth can also be seen on the TeamNegative1 35mm scan,.....& also Mike Verta's clean up of that scene.....

Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 21.28.37.png

Team Negative 1

J

I'll be honest with you, J, as someone who directed a film in the pre-digital days, and just as a filmmaker in general, I'm so not cool with fans taking it upon themselves to re-color time movies they didn't make, don't own, and don't have access to original negatives -- regardless of their good intentions. They didn't make the movie, shoot the movie, or edit the movie. They're making judgement calls made on incomplete information and personal preferences. I don't like unauthorized fan edits or "restorations." Which isn't to say criticisms of release prints are bad -- they're even necessary -- but when it involves comparisons to work done by outside fans (regardless of how accomplished or professional those fans may be) it just really rubs me the wrong way. The thought of someone I don't know and without my permission taking MY film and "restoring" it or mucking with the colors is frankly horrifying. It's insulting, even if they believe they're trying to do a good thing. In my book, they should simply NOT be touching other people's films, period. Which isn't to say you have to like any of the official versions. So, to me, it doesn't matter which one is "better." :cheers

- - - Updated - - -

I was preparing a post on the larger dish, but I see someone beat me to it. Here's a few extra pics anyway.
View attachment 763900View attachment 763901View attachment 763902

SWEET! This old dog learned something new today.

Ah, this is the one I was thinking about! Not in the first photo I commented on, but at least it existed.

I'll be honest with you, J, as someone who directed a film in the pre-digital days, and just as a filmmaker in general, I'm so not cool with fans taking it upon themselves to re-color time movies they didn't make, don't own, and don't have access to original negatives -- regardless of their good intentions. They didn't make the movie, shoot the movie, or edit the movie. They're making judgement calls made on incomplete information and personal preferences. I don't like unauthorized fan edits or "restorations." Which isn't to say criticisms of release prints are bad -- they're even necessary -- but when it involves comparisons to work done by outside fans (regardless of how accomplished or professional those fans may be) it just really rubs me the wrong way. The thought of someone I don't know and without my permission taking MY film and "restoring" it or mucking with the colors is frankly horrifying. It's insulting, even if they believe they're trying to do a good thing. In my book, they should simply NOT be touching other people's films, period. Which isn't to say you have to like any of the official versions. So, to me, it doesn't matter which one is "better." :cheers

- - - Updated - - -

SWEET! This old dog learned something new today.

I'm not saying which one is better, I'm just reminding folks of what the films used to look like before Lowry Digital prepared them for the recent re-release

Hopefully they will get the love they deserve

J

I'm not saying which one is better, I'm just reminding folks of what the films used to look like before Lowry Digital prepared them for the recent re-release

Hopefully they will get the love they deserve

J

It's interesting, but I remember back in 2003(ish) when it was announced that Lowry was doing the transfers (they just cleaned up the transfers for the BD release) that internet experts like DigitalBits and others were very happy because Lowry was considered the industry gold standard at the time. Tom-ah-to. ;):cheers

See, these are the conversations that happen as we wait impatiently for our kits to arrive!

It's interesting, but I remember back in 2003(ish) when it was announced that Lowry was doing the transfers (they just cleaned up the transfers for the BD release) that internet experts like DigitalBits and others were very happy because Lowry was considered the industry gold standard at the time. Tom-ah-to. ;):cheers

See, these are the conversations that happen as we wait impatiently for our kits to arrive!

Ha....yes indeed, & I'm still waiting until I can afford to buy it!!

....but back to Lowry

They were & still are (Reliance Media) the industry leaders in film restoration work.....film

Unfortunately Lowry didn't get their hands on film (Reliance Media has now,...well just before LFL was sold to Disney & done a 4k scan & restoration in preparation for the 3D conversion,...which Disney has now put on hold), Lowry were given 2k scans, that LFL did themselves for the first SE films, as files

So really Lowry didn't do their usual high quality service, there were limitations

J

DarthViper107 on the Starship Modeller forums noted that Amazon is stopped taking preorders for the Falcon.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back