Nosher the Zombie Silicone Mask

Jayesh Ranavaya

Hey guys, So it's been a while since I've posted a new thread here. The last time was when I was making my first Silicone Mask, Freddy Krueger from Nightmare on Elmstreet 2. That turned out ok but this time round I have really done my research and have tried to stick to 'industry standard' techniques. I want to note that I have had no training or been on any course for sculpting, makeup or anything related to mask or prop making. I am self taught and have tried to accumulate as much knowledge throughout the process.

I've been scared to share my work on here as I don't think it's anywhere near as good as the amazing sculpts and masks that get posted on a daily basis but hey ho I thought I'd do it anyway. It is my first proper sculpt and mask on a proper adjusted lifecast core which I did myself. Yes it was a LONG process which started back in June but I am proud of where I am now and how much I have learned along the way. I'm just happy I'll have this silicone mask ready for Halloween!

Anyways here are some pictures:

IMG_20170621_135933_941.jpg
Here's my first Silicone mask created around three years ago. I didn't use a core so had to use the brushing technique. In the end it was a pretty cool looking mask for the time anyway.

final sculpt.jpg
Here is an image of my final sculpt. I was going for a pretty fresh zombie so steered away from exposed teeth. I tinkered with this thing for weeks before I finalised it. In the end I was pleased with it but now I can see areas I could have improved it. I'll bare that in mind next time! O also I changed the bite on his neck but didn't take a picture :(

IMG_20170907_161251_217.jpg
So I created the fibreglass mould and ensured it was nice and strong. As you can see in the picture it is securely bolted to the core and ready for the silicone pour. I poured it via a channel along the back which you can't see in the image.

IMG_20170908_230523_562.jpg
Here is a quick movement test. It moved pretty damn well and I am very happy with the eye fit. It really hugs your eyes. I am probably going to have the paintwork finished by tomorrow so expect an update. Once again the first time ever I'm using an airbrush so I'm still very much learning.

So that's about where I am right now. I hope you enjoyed my ramblings and please feel free to provide feedback or criticism :)

Thanks for reading!

I know nobody replied which is ok. I'm guessing because it's not a well known character and of course it's a zombie which has been done a million times over heh.

I'd like to share a few videos of the paintwork (rotten corpse style) and also the movement of the mask.

Paintwork

Movement Test

Thanks if you decide to watch :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great man. Love the paint job.

Thanks a bunch man. Appreciate that. Going to try a lighter flesh toned version later this week so will post pictures!

I'm actually incredibly happy with the fit. How it hugs the eyes and mouth. I spent a LONG time on the core and ensuring it would result in a good fitting mask. I'm blown away with the results :O

Thanks a bunch man. Appreciate that. Going to try a lighter flesh toned version later this week so will post pictures!

I'm actually incredibly happy with the fit. How it hugs the eyes and mouth. I spent a LONG time on the core and ensuring it would result in a good fitting mask. I'm blown away with the results :O
Is that a custom core of your own, or one you modified?

This is incredible and inspiring. Well done. You willing to show more pics of your mold and core? Love seeing the process of it all.

Hi, thanks a bunch for the kind words. I've been so busy with getting some props done and the few masks I've sold so not had a chance getting this thread updated with more pictures. Erm I'm not sure what other pictures I could post of the mould, maybe the inside? Unfortunately as any mask maker will tell you the core is the key to a good fitting mask so I can't post pictures. Like I mentioned in the first post it took me over a month of editing the lifecast to ensure my mask has a good fit so I have to keep it under wraps I'm afraid. I hope you understand!

I could post pictures of the paint job in process, I have a few pictures.

Hi, thanks a bunch for the kind words. I've been so busy with getting some props done and the few masks I've sold so not had a chance getting this thread updated with more pictures. Erm I'm not sure what other pictures I could post of the mould, maybe the inside? Unfortunately as any mask maker will tell you the core is the key to a good fitting mask so I can't post pictures. Like I mentioned in the first post it took me over a month of editing the lifecast to ensure my mask has a good fit so I have to keep it under wraps I'm afraid. I hope you understand!

I could post pictures of the paint job in process, I have a few pictures.

Absolutely understood and respect your decision. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back