Harry Potter wands

decat

I recently got the book 'Harry Potter: The Wand Collection'. Great photos of the props, but I noticed sone intresting things:

- Harry and Hermione's first wands (PS/COS) are not shown
- Neville is said to have had two wands, with the first one breaking at the Ministry in OOTP, but I've only ever seen one wand for him.
- Padma Patil and Cedric Diggory's wands use the same mold. Cormac McLaggen and Percy Weasley's wands also zhare a mold, and so do Professor Sprout's and Oliver Wood's.
- Mad Eye Moody is said to have multiple wands, including a silver one, but only one is shown. I've found three different wands for Moody, but none are silver! One does have silver bands though.
- The desription for Tonks' wand says it has stripes, but the picture doesn't, yet Noble's replica DOES.
- Pettigrew's wand has a different handle than I've seen before- the snake handle forms a loop instead of being coiled- or maybe the coiled one was a fan made design?
- It says Scabior had a second wand in DH2, but it's not shown and I've never seen a second one for him.
- Not all Death Eater wands are shown
- Alecto Carrow's wand is shown as a generic Death Eater wand instead of the one Noble has for her. Amycus Carrow also has a generic Death Eater wand. Antonin Dolohov is assigned a brown wand with a hooked end that resembles a screaming face.
- Narcissa's wand has two designs: The prop has a straight handle, but the the concept art and the Noble replica have a curved handle.
- Mr Ollivander has a wand that looks very similar to Gregorovitch's wand (which isn't in this book), I'm not sure if they are the same wand or just very similar.

Other Wands Not shown in the book: Percy Weasley, James Potter, Oliver Wood, Flitwick's first wand (also Fudge's), Bellatrix's second wand, Lucius' second wand, Grindelwald, Gregorovitch, Bill Weasley, Nigel, Snatcher wand- yet all of these but Flitwick/Fudge's are made by Noble!

Wands that Noble doesn't make: Padma Patil, Cormac Mclaggen, Hagrid's Umbrella, Flitwick's first wand, Madam Hooch, Lockhart, Pettigrew, Dolohov, Harry, Ron and Hermione's first wands.

Sooo... Just intrested to see what people have to say about these? I'm not sure if this should be in Replica or screen used props since it discusses both- feel free to move if it's not in the right place.

Decat:

That’s very interesting information, especially for those that are really into the HP wands. There is clearly a great amount of inconsistency with the wands, and I don’t think that Warner Bros really put much thought into them until after the 2nd or 3rd movies, when it looked like fans were really going to get into the minutia of individual character’s wands. I don’t know a great deal about them myself really, but it seems that a book on the subject should have been better researched and documented, that’s for sure.

I have a book on the paintings of Hogwarts, and the book doesn’t show any of Gilderoy Lockharts painting in it at all; (they were displayed in his DADA class at Hogwarts, after all) and are sort of icon paintings for the series, so there are some glaring discrepancies in some of these later fan books.

I guess it’s up to some individual interpretations for wands.

Harry Potter: The Wand Collection is a really great book if you’re interested in the original props and how they were made/designed. I love reading any behind-the-scenes material about the making of the Harry Potter films; purely because of how much thought and detail went into every single aspect of creating that world.

decat: I hope you don’t mind me answering your post in separate quotes? You’ve made some great points and I just really love discussing the wand props.

- Harry and Hermione's first wands (PS/COS) are not shown
Yes, I was quite disappointed by this too. Especially since Ron’s PS wand is shown alongside the broken one from CoS and his new wand from the PoA-onwards. The only explanation I could think of is that his PS/CoS wand is supposed to be design to the one he uses in the later films, whereas Harry’s and Hermione’s were meant to be the same throughout (in-universe.) Still, it would have been interesting to see the original designs.

- Neville is said to have had two wands, with the first one breaking at the Ministry in OOTP, but I've only ever seen one wand for him.
I believe the one shown in the Wand Collection is Neville’s second wand from HBP-onwards. Unfortunately we never get a good look at his first wand - even in the promotional photos for OoTP the lower half is always obscured by the actor’s hand.

- ... Cormac McLaggen and Percy Weasley's wands also zhare a mold, and so do Professor Sprout's and Oliver Wood's.
I never noticed this before, thanks for pointing it out! I guess they didn’t want to spend too much time creating new wands for some of the secondary characters (I’m thinking of Cormac here) who wouldn’t have had much screen time and their wands wouldn’t have been seen in enough detail for people to realise it was the same as another character’s.
I can understand Sprout and Percy’s wands sharing the same design, however, because in the first two movies all characters had the same basic, “baton”-shaped wands - just cast in different colours.

- Mad Eye Moody is said to have multiple wands, including a silver one, but only one is shown. I've found three different wands for Moody, but none are silver! One does have silver bands though.
This is perhaps the part I was most disappointed in. I was hoping that since they mentioned Moody having multiple wands they could have shown them all - similar to Ron’s page where all three of his wands were shown on the page. Not to mention the mysterious silver wand; I’ve never been able to find any other mention of it online, let alone any photos! But if it was mentioned in a book about the props, surely one must have been made for the movies?
(I actually started a thread not too long ago trying to decipher each of Moody’s different wands, here is the link if you’re interested: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=288972)

- The desription for Tonks' wand says it has stripes, but the picture doesn't, yet Noble's replica DOES.
Again, I never noticed this before! I think the photos in the book are of the original wooden master props that were molded and cast to create extra props as needed, so maybe the stripes were added once the prop had been cast? Then again, it says that Tonks’ wand is “carved of two different woods” - but the photo just looks like one type of wood to me.

- Pettigrew's wand has a different handle than I've seen before- the snake handle forms a loop instead of being coiled- or maybe the coiled one was a fan made design?
This is another thing that surprised me when reading the book. I couldn’t find any images online that showed the handle of Pettigrew’s wand in enormous amount of detail, but Noble Collection’s replica has the cooled handle do the only explanation I could come up with is that they got the design wrong (or, more likely, based it on some early concept art which had a different handle - similar to what they did with Narcissa’s wand) and then the fan-made replicas just copied Noble’s version.

- It says Scabior had a second wand in DH2, but it's not shown and I've never seen a second one for him.
Yeah, I was disappointed that the book didn’t show the various characters’ second wands. Although it does say “Scabior appears briefly onscreen with a different wand”, so I might see whether I can get some screencaps of it from the Battle of Hogwarts scene.

- Alecto Carrow's wand is shown as a generic Death Eater wand instead of the one Noble has for her. Amycus Carrow also has a generic Death Eater wand. Antonin Dolohov is assigned a brown wand with a hooked end that resembles a screaming face.
Thanks for pointing all this out (again, this isn’t something I noticed at first.) I haven’t been able to find any clear images of these Death Eaters using their wands so it was difficult to make out whose is who’s anyway. A lot of the Death Eater wands on Noble Collection’s website seem to have generic names like “skull wand” and “stallion wand”.

- Narcissa's wand has two designs: The prop has a straight handle, but the the concept art and the Noble replica have a curved handle.
The most likely explanation is that Noble Collection based their replica of Narcissa’s wand on the early concept art rather than the final prop.

- Mr Ollivander has a wand that looks very similar to Gregorovitch's wand (which isn't in this book), I'm not sure if they are the same wand or just very similar.
To be honest I don’t remember seeing either character using their own wands in any of the films, but you’re right: Noble Collection’s Gregorovitch wand looks pretty much identical to the one shown on Ollivander’s page in the book.

Other Wands Not shown in the book: Percy Weasley, James Potter, Oliver Wood, Flitwick's first wand (also Fudge's), Bellatrix's second wand, Lucius' second wand, Grindelwald, Gregorovitch, Bill Weasley, Nigel, Snatcher wand- yet all of these but Flitwick/Fudge's are made by Noble!
Yeah, as great as this book is; I was pretty disappointed at many of the wands not being included (particularly the ones that were shown clearly in the films: i.e. Flitwick’s/Fudge’s, Grindelwald’s and the Snatcher wand.) Strangely enough, Professor Flitwick’s page actually has a photo of him from Philosopher’s Stone holding his original wand, yet they only go on to show his updated wand from the later films. :confused

All in all, however, I think it’s a great little book that shows off the original props beautifully as well as giving a nice insight into their design from Pierre Bohanna and the actors. (The back page showing the length of each of the props is particularly helpful for people wanting to make their own replicas as accurate as possible.)

I’d definitely recommend The Wand Collection to anyone thinking of buying it. [emoji4]

I've been a fan and collector of the Noble wands since they came out. I have quite a few of them, as well as the Universal parks wands. Once I got the book it turned something loose, and now I NEED to find each and every variant there is. Its an expensive habit at times.

I've been a fan and collector of the Noble wands since they came out. I have quite a few of them, as well as the Universal parks wands. Once I got the book it turned something loose, and now I NEED to find each and every variant there is. Its an expensive habit at times.
I think a lot of us here can relate to this, ha ha.

I believe the silver wand in question is the one Moody uses in the scene in the 4th film in his office where he instructs Harry about the first task. He is shown retrieving what I believe is a plain silver colored wand from his supplies, though some may say it looks a bit too thin to be a wand.
Sorry I couldn't find an exact screencap, but I'm sure you know which scene I'm referring to.

As for Scabior's, the scene in DH part 2 right after the protective enchantments around Hogwarts are broken shows a close up of Scabior holding a wand with a clearly defined handle. It can be seen as part of the shield comes floating downwards at the group of snatchers lead by him. The wand looks more refined and noticeably different from the hewn texture of the previous one.

I think a lot of us here can relate to this, ha ha.

I believe the silver wand in question is the one Moody uses in the scene in the 4th film in his office where he instructs Harry about the first task. He is shown retrieving what I believe is a plain silver colored wand from his supplies, though some may say it looks a bit too thin to be a wand.
Sorry I couldn't find an exact screencap, but I'm sure you know which scene I'm referring to.

I think Moody is retrieving a pen or a pencil in that particular scene and not a wand.

For Deathly Hallows Part 1 his wand was redesigned to be longer with a silver ring breaking up the bottom section from the shaft. I believe he only ever had two distinct wands.

decat: Wormtail's wand has the looped snake design, Noble Collection never released a replica - there have been a few inaccurate fan made ones floating around for a while which incorrectly have the snake coiled.

For what it's worth I think the Wands of Harry Potter book is nice, but skims on some of the more important design information - it would've been nice to see the concept designs for the wands alongside the finished props.

The14thDr - there is a photo in the book 'Harry Potter: Page to Screen' showing props of Narcissa's wand with the curved handle. Possibly the rounded handle version was made for HBP, and the straight hamndle for DH? But why change it? *Shrug*
VortexRunner - I came to the same conclusion about Pettigrew's wand; The coiled handle seems to be a fanmade design, which has spread all over the internet and even on to the HP Wiki. Unfortunatley the wiki seems to have quite a few dubious images and information- which shows why it is important to go back to the books and movies themselves to check things.

Last edited by a moderator:
decat I once had a photo of the Wormtail prop, I'm still trying to dig it out of whatever folder I left it in.

The concept art shows the bulbous handle for Narcissa's wand, but there could've been other designs that we haven't seen that they chose to replicate.

Last edited by a moderator:
pettigrew img058.jpgNYT_Harry_Potter_Still_Lifes-3572_v2-e1310410392230.jpgnarcissa DSC_0692.JPG

- 2 pics of Wormtail's wand, one scanned from the wand collection, the other found online
- pic of Narcissa's wand scanned from page to screen

Someone with some skills needs to sculpt and offer up that Wormtail wand!
It’s on the to-do list! I’ve been experimenting with ways of bending dowel to create the winding effect down the shaft, although the handle will definitely need to be sculpted (or at least just the part that curves back over itself.)

I've put together a visual list of all known wands from the films- most of the images are from the wand collection, plus some from other sources for wands that weren't in that book. I've also attached a scan from the wand collection, a diagram of Harry's wand, which I thought was interesting.

Attachments

• img073.jpg
    img073.jpg
    813.3 KB · Views: 2,575
  • wandlist1.png
    wandlist1.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 17,342
  • wandlist2.png
    wandlist2.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 58,825
  • wandlist3.png
    wandlist3.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 4,523
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back