Star Wars stand alone films on hold...

They are floating it out there and seeing the response.

Disney wants to make money. Why invest in four big budget movies that are iffy?

They thought Star Wars would be bullet proof, they believed in RJ, they were wrong twice.

The Ewok movie is still a go, though. And the musical will feature Fran Drescher, Sofia Vergara, and Curtis Armstrong. Uwe Boll will EDIT take over if RJ gets the boot!

Sofia : Aye! Juu know I cannot take dees any more
Curtis: Oh my young padawan, I aim to settle the score
Fran: Babe, don't worry, I'm here to take you under my wing (he-uhuhuhuhuhuh)
Sofia: Ohhh Keep away craysee lady, juu laughers really steenk
Curtis: My lightsaber, glowing with wrath in my hand
Sofia: (runs behind Fran) Dees man esss loco, 'e kill me where I stan'
Fran: I got cha babe, no one's gonna hurt choo
Curtis: The so be it (slowing down) I will do what ever I mmmuust doooooooooo.

LOL. The thing is as most people who know how the system works, Johnsons trilogy will never officially be cancelled,it will just never happen. The only real comments about it at all have come from his producer and all he said was we hope to know soon and we should start writing the story soon. Soon.:lol Do you really think they are going to go with a Johnson film one year then a GoT film the next year and so on? I dont. Chances are he will have to go with the Seinfeld pitch to a whole new leadership and I doubt that`s going to fly twice.

Last edited:
As far as his comment about being okay with half the audience hating him-- it's not that he's shooting for it, it;s that derision is better than indifference. Derision sells more movie tickets, causes more discussion, and makes for more news than a movie that leaves everyone MEH.

He's not setting out to intentionally **** off half the audience. He's going out, making extreme choices knowing some people will hate it, and not letting that dissuade him. Considering that you can't make everyone happy, especially SW fans, it's probably the only attitude you can have and not want to shoot yourself.

What filmmaker dives in wanting to make "extreme choices"? What about coherent choices, that adhere to some measure of continuity, tonal consistency, and adherence to preciously established rules? I fear some are setting the bar so low, they're measuring this film and this man against some arbitrary standard, and just making up boundaries for him to work within, so as to either defend some sort of artistic elitism of his that isn't even a real thing, or...to just push buttons like he does, maybe, I don't know. I honestly just don't get it. A quality story, well edited and coherently presented, never leaves anyone "Meh".

Again, he's not talking about making you think, he's talking about making you react. There's a world of difference. He's the absolute essence of a provocateur, only wanting to be loved, or reviled - it doesn't matter which - because either way, HE is the center of attention, not the film. Surely everyone must see this?

I've tried to straddle the fence as much as I'm able with the TLJ thing, but this is absolutely the tipping point, Every SW fan - hell, every fan of storytelling - should be insulted by this approach to filmmaking.

...He's the absolute essence of a provocateur, only wanting to be loved, or reviled - it doesn't matter which - because either way, HE is the center of attention, not the film. Surely everyone must see this?

I've tried to straddle the fence as much as I'm able with the TLJ thing, but this is absolutely the tipping point, Every SW fan - hell, every fan of storytelling - should be insulted by this approach to filmmaking.

So much this ^.

What filmmaker dives in wanting to make "extreme choices"? What about coherent choices, that adhere to some measure of continuity, tonal consistency, and adherence to preciously established rules? I fear some are setting the bar so low, they're measuring this film and this man against some arbitrary standard, and just making up boundaries for him to work within, so as to either defend some sort of artistic elitism of his that isn't even a real thing, or...to just push buttons like he does, maybe, I don't know. I honestly just don't get it. A quality story, well edited and coherently presented, never leaves anyone "Meh".

Again, he's not talking about making you think, he's talking about making you react. There's a world of difference. He's the absolute essence of a provocateur, only wanting to be loved, or reviled - it doesn't matter which - because either way, HE is the center of attention, not the film. Surely everyone must see this?

Exactly.

This quote from the very article this thread is based on perfectly sums up the situation with Johnson, though some would automatically assume its directed at Lord and Miller etc, it`s virtually a verbatim quote from Ridley Scott about the problem with Johnson and the overall public perception of TLJ.

"Disney is done experimenting with new or unusual filmmakers and will go back to proven veteran talent who they know can handle a big budget Star Wars production in an effort to prevent future production chaos, drama, and firings".

Oh, I don’t disagree, it’s misguided for sure. I’m just saying he’s not the evil villain who wants to destroy StarWars as he’s made out to be by so many.

Oh, I don’t disagree, it’s misguided for sure. I’m just saying he’s not the evil villain who wants to destroy StarWars as he’s made out to be by so many.

That's the sad thing, I think Rian is a good director, but he's not a good writer. He needed 1-2 cowriters and a lot more time. Rushing these movies every two years is too fast, they need more time to get the stories right.

He's like Thanos. He thinks he did a good thing, i.e. made an epic masterpiece. But when he snapped his fingers, half the people loved it but the other half loathed it. But while I to a certain extent sympathize with Thanos, I don't feel any sympathy with Johnson.

Last edited:
Nobody's really sure, but the theory is if they didn't explicitly cancel it, then it isn't cancelled yet. They explicitly cancelled the standalone films we knew about (Kenobi and Fett), but the rest remains up in the air. The one article suggests that his trilogy is still on, which I suspect will be the continuation of the Rey story.

Regarding Rey in RJ’s trilogy ... I could be wrong but , I don’t think so .

His specific ( underwhelming ) pitch for his trilogy reportedly , was that it takes place in galaxy far removed from the existing one ( settings / characters etc ... ) , and seeings how Rey is a part of this galaxy ... !?

Best option imo ... don’t let him near SW ever again , he’s done enough damage .

:cheersGed

Last edited:
Regarding Rey in RJ’s trilogy ... I could be wrong but , I don’t think so .

His specific ( underwhelming ) pitch for his trilogy reportedly , was that it takes place in galaxy far removed from the existing one ( settings / characters etc ... ) , and seeings how Rey is a part of this galaxy ... !?

Best option imo ... don’t let him near SW ever again , he’s done enough damage .

:cheersGed

Is this right? :facepalm Star Wars is set in a galaxy far far away. So far removed from our galaxy. That is part of the magic of SW and a basic fundamental setting for everything under the SW banner.
This comment and TLJ clearly show RJ does not understand the mythology, the appeal or the pre established boundaries of Star Wars.
When I sat and suffered through TLJ, I was pulled out of the movie so many times by things from our world that have no place in the SWU.
RJ is directly and undeniably responsible for the rift within the fandom. If Disney does not acknowledge and act on this, by which I mean remove Johnson from any potential projects, then SW will continue to fail.

The powers that be seem to have misdirected the blame because of Solo’s poor BO when the real problem lies with saga movies and the lack of any planning. If they had taken more time to make the best continuing trilogy the anthology films could have been hit and miss with far less damage to the whole.
If Johnson had been given a stand alone rather than an episode which he treated like a one off movie of his own creation. I believe we would not be in this situation now. It would be far easier to disregard a one off movie than a chapter of a well established story.
Experimenting, subverting or plain old F’ing things up should have been reserved for the anthology films.

Already posted up the page. And both articles are based on more speculation and rumor, neither mention any specific source. The first simply says Lucasfilm and the second only a source at ABC news. Still seems like the rumor machine is running things.

Last edited:
He's not setting out to intentionally **** off half the audience. He's going out, making extreme choices knowing some people will hate it, and not letting that dissuade him. Considering that you can't make everyone happy, especially SW fans, it's probably the only attitude you can have and not want to shoot yourself.

Well to quote a character in a little movie "He chose poorly..." :)

WOW.jpg

................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Well to quote a character in a little movie "He chose poorly..." :)

Can you imagine what three, two and a half hour extended scene Canto Bites movies inter cut with poorly thought out or lore breaking space battles would do to Disneys bottom line?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back