Denix Mauser Mods and ESB Blaster Re-Build WIP

I've been thinking about this as I'm half way through a build and know the scope mount with the single screw is very unstable. I seem to remember reading somewhere years ago that the hoth scenes were filmed after the bespin scenes by which time the prop was damaged by continually tightening the single hand wheel, the prop guys took the gun and drilled three holes and bolted the hole thing back together with a disk glued on to cover the central hole. (Maybe this has been debunked now it must be 20 something years since I read it).

I was thinking of using a couple of pins to lock it in place.

C.

very interesting! The Hoth scenes used an MGC metal replica, and the Bespin scenes used a couple Live mausers. There may have been a stunt that this happened to.

What I've heard recently was that MGCs were used when they couldn't import live weapons like when filming in Norway or moving to the states for ROTJ

I've been thinking about this as I'm half way through a build and know the scope mount with the single screw is very unstable. I seem to remember reading somewhere years ago that the hoth scenes were filmed after the bespin scenes by which time the prop was damaged by continually tightening the single hand wheel, the prop guys took the gun and drilled three holes and bolted the hole thing back together with a disk glued on to cover the central hole. (Maybe this has been debunked now it must be 20 something years since I read it).

I was thinking of using a couple of pins to lock it in place.

C.

sounds like something someone made up. There are photos of the prop post production with no hardware on it and I can tell you it still only had the single stud.

Aside from that, the Bespin guns are real, and Hoth; MGC... not related at all.

You can also see promo pics of Han's gun with the mount skewed in different positions.

Quick question. How did you install the brass grip hardware? On the Denix I have with the wood grips, they are held on with two screws. The brass doesn't work at all.

Did you have to modify them?

Thanks.

Yeah, that took a little work. The plastic grips were so thin the brass parts would pull right through when you tightened the screw. I imagine the wood grips are similar. I epoxied small washers inside to butt up against the metal post inside the handle. I also drilled all the way through the post to put the single long screw through. I think that was all I did. I ended up not using any of this stuff anyway.

1283C1FD-A7E2-4DD8-8F8F-27347D9C0C46.jpeg

Hey there Matty! Just bumping your amazing thread... I was curious to know what was your painting technique for the denix frame? Did you use a primer? Or did you blue it then paint over the top?

What paints did you end up using?

Did you seal it with anything to stop it from scratching?

Thanks heaps

Julz

Hey there Matty! Just bumping your amazing thread... I was curious to know what was your painting technique for the denix frame? Did you use a primer? Or did you blue it then paint over the top?

What paints did you end up using?

Did you seal it with anything to stop it from scratching?

Thanks heaps

Julz

I didn’t use a primer. Just painted on the bare metal after wiping with acetone. The black I used was Krylon BBQ satin black. After it cured I remember rubbing it with fine steel wool. I think I also gave it a coat or two of Testors Dulcote and then burnished it to a nice finish. I’m pretty sure that’s what I did.

Neat :) thanks for letting me know. I've had terrible results with bluing. Have you had any issues with your paint rubbing off without using a primer?

Just came across this thread, I've got a Denix on the way and this is simply amazing!

I'm doing mine as Han's ANH blaster with the HW scope. Good thing about Han's blaster is the scope mount is symmetrical either way and since I'm a southpaw my scope and mount will be going on the left.

Again, just spectacular. Well done.

Just came across this thread, I've got a Denix on the way and this is simply amazing!

I'm doing mine as Han's ANH blaster with the HW scope. Good thing about Han's blaster is the scope mount is symmetrical either way and since I'm a southpaw my scope and mount will be going on the left.

Again, just spectacular. Well done.

Thank you! I'm glad people are still finding inspiration in this.

I scored a cheap Denix on eBay, I've got an entire set of leftover ANH Hero parts, so I'll be referencing this thread to aid my mods.

When I'm done the blaster will go up for sale.

I've had this Denix for a long time, and it's way overdue for an overhaul. You guys know how bad these are. All the edges are extremely soft, pitting everywhere, etc. I've going to strip it down and sharpen all the edges, clean things up, and add some detail. I've got some old Blast-Tech parts I can reuse and a new knurled disk coming from Boba Debt's run.

Before pics. Typical Denix. I'm getting rid of the left side greeblies.

IMG_1165_zpswvipnek5.jpg

IMG_1166_zpsxrjrdlsd.jpg

I got a set of the brass grip hardware on ebay for $5. I'll be sticking with the plastic grips for the time being since they fit correctly.

IMG_1164_zpsywmbl3qh.jpg

IMG_1167_zpsianrcdan.jpg

I took everything apart and started to sharpen angles and clean things up. I'm filing everything by hand.

IMG_1169_zpsv2djkg8m.jpg

IMG_1172_zpscnfrkvni.jpg

Things are shaping up.

IMG_1182_zpsvokisuz4.jpg

Lots more work to do, but the results are pretty good so far.
How’d you go about taking the bolt out after having ground down the pin at the back that the hammer rests on?

How’d you go about taking the bolt out after having ground down the pin at the back that the hammer rests on?
What I do is pull the hammer back exposing the spring and bolt on the left side. I then use a small pair of needle nose pliers to force the pin back and out. This takes a bit of force depending on how hard the pin was forced into the compression fitting.

What I do is pull the hammer back exposing the spring and bolt on the left side. I then use a small pair of needle nose pliers to force the pin back and out. This takes a bit of force depending on how hard the pin was forced into the compression fitting.
I was trying this the other day without success, but hearing that you do it that way gives me more confidence to push harder. May just need smaller pliers. Thank you I’ll give this another try!

Amazing work, I have Field Marshal's Kit but I got my own Denix and seeing this I want to make some change. What do you use for the Bluing? I'm not sure how to do it to be honest. Also on my version, the site slider doesn't move, it appears to be one molded piece which is a pain.

Amazing work, I have Field Marshal's Kit but I got my own Denix and seeing this I want to make some change. What do you use for the Bluing? I'm not sure how to do it to be honest. Also on my version, the site slider doesn't move, it appears to be one molded piece which is a pain.
Mine came the same way, I wonder if it’s just a new model they are making? Not sure. As for blueing your Denix I recommend “Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black”. The Denix is made from Zinc I believe, but this product works great on the Denix surface with good prep and a heat gun. (Heat isn’t required just gets a better blue). Sand the surface well and use a degreaser, wash, then follow the bottle instructions. You will have to look at what material your kit is made of (scope, flash hider, etc) to decide wether you can use the same product on your Field Marshal parts.

Im working on my own ANH blaster right now and blued the upper of my Denix last night. Turned out pretty well with some small things I need to fix here and there.

Mine came the same way, I wonder if it’s just a new model they are making? Not sure. As for blueing your Denix I recommend “Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black”. The Denix is made from Zinc I believe, but this product works great on the Denix surface with good prep and a heat gun. (Heat isn’t required just gets a better blue). Sand the surface well and use a degreaser, wash, then follow the bottle instructions. You will have to look at what material your kit is made of (scope, flash hider, etc) to decide wether you can use the same product on your Field Marshal parts.

Im working on my own ANH blaster right now and blued the upper of my Denix last night. Turned out pretty well with some small things I need to fix here and there.
yeah very possible, its a shame as it would be good to be able to rework it. thanks for the recommendation I'll have a look at that. I wasn't going to mess around with it too much but after seeing this thread I've decided I really need to lol Do you have a build thread going?

yeah very possible, its a shame as it would be good to be able to rework it. thanks for the recommendation I'll have a look at that. I wasn't going to mess around with it too much but after seeing this thread I've decided I really need to lol Do you have a build thread going?
I do not have one going, but I’m sure I’ll post the finished result somewhere lol

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back