On Hand Materials, Old Parts, Junk Parks Hellboy Mecha-Glove Build

Why not glue it first and then paint it?
I would do that for more then a few parts

Ya, I meant the binder :rolleyes
Still have problems with my English, damn it...

Well, regarding the paint, some parts need to be painted first, then assembled. Then attached to the glove.

I do admit that sometimes I do some "touch up" paint once the part is applied. Think about parts that need to be taped off. It's easier to tape off the parts then paint, then assemble.

Once the parts are added to the glove, it's too complex and a pain to paint them. If that makes sense.

Gotcha, the binder. No worries on your english, it's all good. :) the image on the cover of the binder is concept art of the mecha-glove. I put it in the cover of the binder because I thought it was cool and it provides good reference for "some" of the parts used in the movie prop. But, mostly because it looks cool as a cover. :lol

Joshua

Last edited:
Got more work done on the upper portion of the glove. Added some leather to back of the glove where the scorpion cage attaches and added the palm pad.

Working on the motivator now. More pics soon.

2015-08-28 00.39.13.jpg2015-08-27 15.42.09.jpg

Some more dry fitting parts.

I also added some foam to the inside of the arm tube so that it stays on my arm a bit better.

Other than attaching the glove to the lower arm tube it's mostly just attaching small parts and then some touch up paint.

DragonCon is fast approaching, looks like I just might finish in time. :)

2015-08-28 02.30.37.jpg2015-08-28 02.33.46.jpg

Sorry I've been quite on here I've been up to my eyes in work but hoping to be back on this soon. Can I ask where you got the artwork for the dial a demon face? Been looking for it but can't find anything.

Sorry I've been quite on here I've been up to my eyes in work but hoping to be back on this soon. Can I ask where you got the artwork for the dial a demon face? Been looking for it but can't find anything.

Hey stranger, was wondering when you'd pop back up.

Client work is always good though, I'm freelance too so when I have a full project roster that stuff comes first.

Regarding the dial a demon artwork. I found great reference on joatrash fx's mecha-glove thread and I found a font that is close to the font they mentioned on his thread. I then made the graphic in Photoshop, there is also artwork that goes under the vinegaroon (inside the scorpion box) there is a nazi symbol under the bug.

"Dial A Demon" gauge artwork is attached. I have to figure out where I saved the artwork for below the vinegaroon, I'll attach it when I find it.

dial a demon guage.jpg

Can't wait to see progress on your version. After DragonCon I'm gonna tackle a more screen accurate version.

EDIT: my "dial a demon" artwork is very specific to the parts I used on my glove, and my dial is not the correct size, it's actually larger than the found part that was used on the movie prop - so make sure to size it for your version of the dial. Just FYI.

I finished a crude yet effective hinge mechanism for the scorpion box. I took two brass nails (the kind that come with cheap furniture for tacking on the backing to a bookshelf) and cut them in half with a pair of dykes / nippers. Then I drilled holes. I put some super glue on the underside of the head of the brass nails and now the scorpion box opens and closes.

I attached the "Scorpion Box" to the back of the hand on the glove. Also glued some other parts to the glove. May not be a great pic of the progress. But made leaps and bounds worth of progress today.

2015-08-29 15.17.23.jpg

I added some other parts too, but mostly small stuff like detail screws. I also added the quilt material above the arm tube - attached to the main glove. Not custom quilting like asavage just quilting fabric from Hancock Fabrics. Pretty close though IMHO. Good enough for my use, no knits picked here.

I think it might be time to share a video, what do you guys think? Still got greeblies and small parts to attach. Almost done.

Joshua

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey stranger, was wondering when you'd pop back up.

Client work is always good though, I'm freelance too so when I have a full project roster that stuff comes first.

Regarding the dial a demon artwork. I found great reference on joatrash fx's mecha-glove thread and I found a font that is close to the font they mentioned on his thread. I then made the graphic in Photoshop, there is also artwork that goes under the vinegaroon (inside the scorpion box) there is a nazi symbol under the bug.

"Dial A Demon" gauge artwork is attached. I have to figure out where I saved the artwork for below the vinegaroon, I'll attach it when I find it.

View attachment 521579

Can't wait to see progress on your version. After DragonCon I'm gonna tackle a more screen accurate version.

EDIT: my "dial a demon" artwork is very specific to the parts I used on my glove, and my dial is not the correct size, it's actually larger than the found part that was used on the movie prop - so make sure to size it for your version of the dial. Just FYI.

thanks for artwork and info it's a big helps. Hope to have something up for you soon.

yeah i'd like to see a video!
it looks like it's coming out quite well...good job so far man!

Thanks! I'll do a video post DragonCon and get that up on YouTube.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for artwork and info it's a big helps. Hope to have something up for you soon.

No problem.

I also found the nazi symbol graphic for under the vinegaroon (scorpion box)

nazi symbol for under the vinegaroon.jpg

Can't wait to see what you come up.

This past Monday was the last day of DragonCon.

And I'm sad. I'm always sad after a convention.

Anyway, I tried my best to get my mecha-glove done for my Rasputin cosplay.

The mecha-glove is almost done, still have to add some wiring and some other small parts.

And I didn't finish my robe for the costume. I ran out of time.

But I did pull off a "Gentleman Rasputin" cosplay at the last minute. Using a top hat and goggle monocle. I think the vest helps sells it. LOL

Here are some pics:

11987211_784507141660725_3233478806645689855_n.jpg11990661_784507098327396_8589329647021216524_n.jpg12004005_784507168327389_5150888829009475342_n.jpg12004097_784507151660724_7856087103648359555_n.jpg

About 75% of the folks that stopped me for pictures knew it was the mecha-glove from Hellboy, the other 25% thought it was some sort of steampunk glove. Either way it worked. LOL.

What do you all think?

i think it's beautiful!

could use a little aging but that's just a little critique.
good job still making due with the time you had and getting something on the floor at the con!

i think it's beautiful!

could use a little aging but that's just a little critique.
good job still making due with the time you had and getting something on the floor at the con!

Thanks man, It's coming together.

Thanks for the feedback. Some aging would make it even better, I agree. Do you have any ideas for that? I want to age it / weather it I just don't know where to start.

I still have to add some parts and wiring. Then I'm ready for the aging. I'm all ears.

Joshua

Ok, so I'm gonna dust off this thread.

I've been working on a v2 Mecha-Glove and my friend @Kcw1204 has been hard at work fabricating my Rasputin Robe for DragonCon this year.

Pics coming soon.

@asavage are you gonna make an appearance at DragonCon this year? No excuses bro! LOL

Joshua

Hope I’m not necro-posting on a dead thread. Would love to see some finished pics of your glove helpfulnerd!
I’m considering my own build of the Mecha-glove and had a question concerning the “Dial-A-Demon” gauge.
Did the dial appear in the movie with the name “Hellboy” on it?
I can understand replicating it that way if it appeared that way but it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me and here is why:
1.Rasputin wasn’t trying to summon Hellboy as I understand it, his arrival was by pure chance.
2.Hellboy wasn’t given that name until after he arrived and it was the American Soldiers who gave it to him.
3.Rasputin later said he knew the Demons true name.
So, shouldn’t the dial in the last slot read “Anung-Un-Rama”?

Great work here guys!

Last edited:
1.Rasputin wasn’t trying to summon Hellboy as I understand it, his arrival was by pure chance.
2.Hellboy wasn’t given that name until after he arrived and it was the American Soldiers who gave it to him.
3.Rasputin later said he knew the Demons true name.
So, shouldn’t the dial in the last slot read “Anung-Un-Rama”?
I've had these SAME questions ever since I first saw that dial-thingy being replicated. (y)lol

Hey Nex! Good to see you!
The only thing I can figure on the dial is that it's an easter egg from Del Toro. If that's the case I can understand wanting to replicate it as is.
But from a continuity standpoint it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

My one other point has to do with the name plaque that Adam used on his glove and as I understand it, some he gave away.
55-67373-part-5-pict-013-1409782028.jpg
I don't have Adam's permission to post this pic so if he prefers I will remove it.
First off- Kudos to Adam for the thought behind this tag. A prop accomplishment like his glove doesn't come along all that often and it's extra little touches like this that can really set a prop off. Secondly- Adam can call the prop anything he wants so I really don't have a leg to stand on here calling it into question so I'll proceed on the premise that I would use a different name tag on my build of the glove and I'll list my reasons below. I too like to label of my work where I can but mostly I use numbered COA's.
Among the things I like about the tag is the word "Jahad" as I had always thought the word was "Jihad" so I first went to the script of the movie and the word used was indeed "Jahad".
So I looked it up and here is what I found=
Jahad (Jihad) comes from “Jahd,” which means, struggle to achieve something. It is said in the writings of Prophet Muhammad that the greatest struggle (Jahad) is the struggle of the human within.

Interesting! So now I went and looked up "Jihad" and here is what I found=
a struggle or fight against the enemies of Islam. "He declared a jihad against the infidels" the spiritual struggle within oneself against sin.
So, obviously you wouldn't use the word "Jihad" because that implies a Holy endeavor.

I'll finish this post in a bit. I have to go to work!

55-67373-part-5-pict-013-1409782028.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ogdru Jahad comes from the original source material of the Hellboy comics:

http://hellboy.wikia.com/wiki/Ogdru_Jahad

I've never heard or read about anyone asking Mignola how he came up with some of the names that he did - and certainly not the use of "Jahad" specifically - but I have to imagine that it has happened at some point.

Just as the names on the dial are probably indeed an easter egg, it's safe to say that Adam's plaque is an easter egg (in reference to the comics) as well.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back