Laquer disaster...

32buds

I've been working on a wee kit now ,for a few weeks, and have reached the point of glossing it and applying decals.
This is the result of a well shaken Tamiya rattle can,over Tamiya acrylics.
It's not overspray and the can was well shaken, but the paint just dissolved.
Any advice on how this can be corrected.
TAM laq.jpg

Rule of thumb to remember: NEVER, NEVER spray Laquer, enamels or Lacquer-Based paint over acrylics. Never. The solvents are 'hot' and will dissolve and eat the acrylics.

You can always spray acrylics over dried and cured lacquer and enamels but not the other way around.

The only exception on some occasions is if you have sprayed Future/Pledge floor care over your acrylics and sealed them solid after curing.

Rule of thumb to remember: NEVER, NEVER spray Laquer, enamels or Lacquer-Based paint over acrylics. Never.

Quoted again for emphasis.

In order of 'cold' to 'hot' paints, you have acrylics, enamels, and then lacquers. Lacquers being the hottest, these paints make good base coats, as do enamels. Acrylics can go over them both without issues.

SB

I spray lacquer clears to seal over acrylic paints and lacquer paints all the time. I use the Testors lacquer clears from cans, Duplicolor clears in an HVLP sprayer and Polytranspar clears in an airbrush or HVLP sprayer. You have to spray several light coats and let the first coat dry for a few minutes. Letting the first coat dry for a few minutes will protect the underlying base coat from running. The next coats can be a little heavier but you have to be careful not to put too much on at one time. The same will happen if you spray a heavy coat of lacquer clear over a lacquer base....it will run if its too heavy.

Hard to tell in the picture how bad the paint ran but you may be able to wet-sand down those areas where the paint ran so it's smooth......repaint and touch up the details and then clear the whole model again

It's heartbreaking to see something like this..... perhaps the old saying " when god gives you lemons, make lemonade," Is appropriate here. For a quick save, Try weathering the model paying attention to the damaged paint. You may like the results.

I've been looking at the run marks, giving it some thought. The whole point in this hobby is to have fun-so it's battle damage time!
Some scorch marks and soot stains along with some scuffing and weathering will put it to rights.
Decals next then!

i use sometimes use tamiya TS-80 flat clear spray over acrylic paint.it uses a synthetic laquer so i suppose that makes a difference and doesn't harm acrylic paint.
sorry can't help with fixing your paint damage.

God gave me a lemon, so I made lemonade:).
I left it for a while, then put the decals on and lacquered it-again(very lightly this time!). Then I let loose with charcoal, an old scrappy brush and some Tamiya liquid glue, to bond the soot.
Guess the old girl's seen some action....

sp2.jpgsp1.jpgsp6.jpgsp3.jpg

Rule of thumb to remember: NEVER, NEVER spray Laquer, enamels or Lacquer-Based paint over acrylics. Never. The solvents are 'hot' and will dissolve and eat the acrylics.

You can always spray acrylics over dried and cured lacquer and enamels but not the other way around.

The only exception on some occasions is if you have sprayed Future/Pledge floor care over your acrylics and sealed them solid after curing.

I've been spraying Testor's Dullcoat over acrylics for years with no issues.

Same here- Tamiya and any other brand, through an airbrush. First time from a rattlecan and boom-the paint just dissolved away.
Happy enough with how it turned out though.
Scudman- thanks for the compliment on the Cygnus. That was a fun build.....
Pride of place, though!

When life gives you lemons... make lemonade! You've done a great just of creating a fine weathered model out of a potential disaster. Now, when somebody asks you "How'd you get that great dissolved paint look?"...

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back