Obscure request - does anyone remember a thread about someone complaining a Stormtroo

BlueSaber

...Stormtrooper mask they bought was TOO accurate to the original movie filming prop? In other words, the original prop was cheap and flimsy and the prop replica replicated the cheapness to be accurate, but the guy wasn't happy because he wasn't expecting poor quality for the price?

I'm not even sure it was this forum I just remember reading about it.

Re: Obscure request - does anyone remember a thread about someone complaining a Storm

That happend not only once. Bad made, but accurate props against what it should be in the movie is a long old discussion.

Re: Obscure request - does anyone remember a thread about someone complaining a Storm

Yeah you have to make sure before you buy if you want "ugly and accurate" or "idealised and sturdy"." Bad made " shouldn't come into the former as it takes time and effort to reproduce a helmet of screen accuracy. Even if it seems cheap, a lot of thought and time have gone to match the original. If however an idealised helmet is bad made then that is no excuse. I prefer the "ugly and accurate". And it takes great lengths to make them cheap and nasty like the originals. :)

Ben

That happened not just with Stormtrooper gear, but also with Vader and other props. So yeah, there are people who like idealized stuff, and others who like accurate stuff. I'm the latter.

" Bad made " shouldn't come into the former as it takes time and effort to reproduce a helmet of screen accuracy. Even if it seems cheap, a lot of thought and time have gone to match the original.

Aye, i have to correct - "bad made" was refered to the crappy made originals, if a copy is made exact the same crappy way it is a well made copy of the existing stuff in film.

Aye, i have to correct - "bad made" was refered to the crappy made originals, if a copy is made exact the same crappy way it is a well made copy of the existing stuff in film.

I knew what you meant. ;)

Most makers of accurate stuff nowadays explain in detail now so people realise it may seem cheap and nasty,but that's part of the accuracy and tell people to go elsewhere if they want idealism.

Ben

This is a pretty common complaint from people who don't know how the actual helmets were. I have seen it on threads about the Anovos helmets (ST, TIE pilot. AT-AT driver).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

This is a pretty common complaint from people who don't know how the actual helmets were.

People who are allowed to buy online should be smart enough to inform themself what they buy. :rolleyes

I´m one of those who don´t want something like a RS on display in my home, but if i would have bought it there would be only one person to blame. :lol

People who are allowed to buy online should be smart enough to inform themself what they buy. :rolleyes

I´m one of those who don´t want something like a RS on display in my home, but if i would have bought it there would be only one person to blame. [emoji38]
I agree people should do research before buying. Unfortunately some people just ask who makes the best whatever product. Many people just reply with a maker but no other info.

In the case of stormtrooper helmets, the RS Props may be best for some, but not everyone. It depends what each person wants from the item. Some want ultimate accuracy to the original prop. Others want what they remember seeing on screen. Others may have some different criteria. There is no definitive "best" for everyone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

We've talked about this before that there are people who want an exact replica of the prop and some who like a replica of the in-universe item. I usually fall into the latter. I say that because I think with Stormtrooper helmets, for example, they were using the best stuff they had at the time and were on a schedule. I think if they had had the resources they have now, the Stormtrooper helmets wouldn't have gaps where the parts were attached ("ears" the most noticeable).

If they had the resources and budget they have now, maybe the ST suits and helmets would have looked more like the Rogue One suits/helmets.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I prefer ugly and accurate. I've had a few friends who aren't avid fans get to look at my helmets close up and they're always saying it feels like a cheap Halloween mask.
That's how they were, when it comes to my props, that's how I want them to be.

I try to find a middle ground where it LOOKS as accurate as it can, but is made out of idealized parts.

Example: I try to mimic weathering and dents, but usually will prefer metal over plastic or wood painted to look metal. So it's technically idealized, but not "as new"

But everyone has their own preference on this. It never pays to assume the seller agrees with your taste.

Whoa thats sxacrly the one! Thank you. I wanted it for historical curiosity. It reminds me of when I looked Star Trek TNg tricorders.
Something's id want film prop accuracy (tricorder, Indiana jones stuff, graflex lightsaber). Others I'd want idealized like other lightsabers, helmets etc

Buddy of mine had the chance to see Hammil's trooper helmet once. He is not a prop guy but he did comment that he was astounded how cheap the think was in real life. I think he expected a military helmet and not a hunk of thin plastic.

I kind of ride the line. I go for accuracy but will sacrifice some for durability ' sake because I want to be able to use my pieces. My collecting philosophy is that if all it can do is sit on a shelf and collect dust then I typically don't want to own it. Part of the replication process is the enjoyment of being able to use each piece.

Buddy of mine had the chance to see Hammil's trooper helmet once. He is not a prop guy but he did comment that he was astounded how cheap the think was in real life. I think he expected a military helmet and not a hunk of thin plastic.

You're alive! Someone was just asking what happened to you in the OT section.

I got an accurate, for the time, Altman X-Wing helmet years ago and a friend said it wasn't right. He thought the strip on the "mohawk" was wrong even though they put that on to cover where they put the halves of the vacuuformed halves together..

I bought a stormtrooper helmet kit from ATA that was asymmetrical and thin. The goal was to keep it as real as the originals. That's why I bought it. All of my props were built with the intention of accuracy vrs idealized
IMG_2740.JPG

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back