(WIP) (Repaint) Rubies helmet to ROTS

Re: ROTS Darth Vader helmet

Well, just by virtue of someone recasting something they didn't make in the first place should tell you what kind of person they are and whether or not you can trust them in other aspects. So, if you do find someone then realize that it's going to be a purchase at your own (often considerable) risk. I doubt you'll find a recommendation for that on here though.

-Rog

Well, just by virtue of someone recasting something they didn't make in the first place should tell you what kind of person they are and whether or not you can trust them in other aspects. So, if you do find someone then realize that it's going to be a purchase at your own (often considerable) risk. I doubt you'll find a recommendation for that on here though.

-Rog

I didn't know recasting was frowned upon, forgive me. I'm new to the prop replica scene.

Let me add this then; I cannot find a single Vader helmet, custom, licensed or a recast, that is based on ROTS aside from the currently $2000+ Master Replicas helmet. All of the ones I find (be it EFX, MR, Anovos or customs/recasts) are based on OT designs.

I am really just looking for a non-MR ROTS Vader helmet.

The only guy I know of that made a ROTS helmet was potumac but his was not a MR recast but his own sculpt

Portumac made an ROTS helmet indeed ... just go check the SLD Forums and if not a member yet post an introduction ... that first post will grant you access to Wattoo's Junkyard ... and you'll need a little less than a grant to get your mittens on a MR ROTS :)

Chaïm

The only guy I know of that made a ROTS helmet was potumac but his was not a MR recast but his own sculpt

I'm not personally interested in them but I frequently see MR ROTS Vader helmets being sold on eBay for less than $1000. Depends on the wording of the listing, but I've seen more than a few go for $700-800. Maybe that's still outside your budget, I dunno.

I've never checked the "sold" ROTS helmet listings, but I know I see them all the time for "asking" for those high prices. Most of the ones I see for sale are the signature edition also.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
This is mine. With its flat lenses, long neck, crap movie, & a myriad of other issues, it's the least popular Vader out there.
Good luck!

Thanks for all of the responses.

I found another thread where someone was asking pretty much the same question and apparently Portumac helmets are no more.

I might just repaint my Rubies helmet and touch it up a bit to give it a ROTS look. I actually already bought flat lenses for it.

Keep us informed about your progress ... with Rogue One in sight this Vader of yours might become quite popular again ... oh and welcome aboard :)

Chaïm

How on earth do you remove the grills from one of these?

Edit: Never mind, finally got them off.

Painting this puppy tonight :D

Last edited:

Please help me guys, I screwed up. BIG TIME.

When I painted it, it got wet somehow, and now there are ugly bubbles all over the helmet. How do I get them out?

I generally use something quite fine if sanding down paintwork possibly even a sanding sponge so as to limit the damage to the item.

if you are up to the challenge...there is a pep file for a rots helmet that you may want to try. ;), there is also a member here who modded a hasbro voice changer helmet and added a pepped/glassed rots dome ( end result looks great). the symmetry ( or lack thereof) on the Rubies might not make the best ROTS and would require a lot of modifications.

Last edited:

if you are up to the challenge...there is a pep file for a rots helmet that you may want to try. ;), there is also a member here who modded a hasbro voice changer helmet and added a pepped/glassed rots dome ( end result looks great). the symmetry ( or lack thereof) on the Rubies might not make the best ROTS and would require a lot of modifications.

Thanks for the tips, got links?

Using the Hasbro mask as a base sounds doable. I'd like to see how the other guy did it.

Last edited:

Anybody know of a good paint that matches the ROTS nose?

And the grill? Is the grill gloss black like the rest of the helmet?

Last edited:

I found this image on Google, not sure of the source. Does anyone know where it comes from?

I am almost certain that the helmet on the left is just a repainted Rubies. The dome line gives it away. It looks so great next to the MR! That is what I hope to achieve.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1481165820439.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1481165820439.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 309

The nose and grill usually are aluminum or silver in color . . . any hobby or kits model shop should have it . . . Revell paints . . . I'm not that familiar with Vader ROTS to know the color of the grill ... use some several ROTS screen shots as your reference not just any google picture with unknown source, okay? :)

Chaïm

Anybody know of a good paint that matches the ROTS nose?

And the grill? Is the grill gloss black like the rest of the helmet?

I gave my helmet to a buddy of mine for him to paint, I'm sure he'll do a much better job than me.

I'll report back with pictures when he's done, whenever that will be.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back