New BMF coming

While waiting to do some major surgery, the LED strip (30cm, 12 LEDs) I ordered for the engine has arrived and I've started messing around with an enclosure. I found this neato super-thin, frosted-plastic cutting mat at the dollar store, just the right length to make the engine. Problem is I need to move the LEDs about 14cm away from it to get decent (removing all hotspots) diffusion on it, which is far engouh to noticeably dim the overall effect. So I'm trying to find a way to make my diffuser...diffuse-ier. I thought I'd try sanding the inward-facing side, but that doesn't seem to have gotten me very much closer - still working away at it though. I seem to recall saber-makers stuffing their poly-carb tubes with wadded up clear celo gift-wrap, but I don't know how well that works. Aside from sanding, is there anything else I could be looking at to try and get better diffusion on this thing while staying more like 5cm away?

While waiting to do some major surgery, the LED strip (30cm, 12 LEDs) I ordered for the engine has arrived and I've started messing around with an enclosure. I found this neato super-thin, frosted-plastic cutting mat at the dollar store, just the right length to make the engine. Problem is I need to move the LEDs about 14cm away from it to get decent (removing all hotspots) diffusion on it, which is far engouh to noticeably dim the overall effect. So I'm trying to find a way to make my diffuser...diffuse-ier. I thought I'd try sanding the inward-facing side, but that doesn't seem to have gotten me very much closer - still working away at it though. I seem to recall saber-makers stuffing their poly-carb tubes with wadded up clear celo gift-wrap, but I don't know how well that works. Aside from sanding, is there anything else I could be looking at to try and get better diffusion on this thing while staying more like 5cm away?

This may sound funny but it works. Try cotton balls. Take a few cotton balls and thin them out into almost a sheet by pulling and stretching them being careful not to pull them too far apart. Then place them on the backside of the clear plastic to act as a diffuser. Works very well. It dims the brightenss down a bit depending on how thick you make the balls, but it will remove any and all hot spots you have.

I got a full wire harness from the Legacy MF....with the lights and sounds from the engines and famous sayings from the film...quite a bit on there....and it lights up the backend of the engine vents really well ...not sure if any of you have a kit like this, very impressive , though.....but I am not sure I am even going to use it !!!

Coolio, thanks guys, I'll give those a shot each and see how they work. gyoung, welllll...I HAVE access to one, but I think my kids might cry :) One thing the BMF lighting rig did suggest to me is that if I can't get it diffused sufficiently, I might try adding the grill from the SEs - rather not, as I was going for something closer to the filming miniature look. I grew up with it, and the grill has just never sat right with me.

I got the engine grill of the Legacy falcon too....the inside lining of it looks great with detail, but the outer clear plastic piece is quite large......not sure I can use that...was hoping other people might have tried it and seen !!!...Not sure I want to mess with it or not !!!

I got the engine grill of the Legacy falcon too....the inside lining of it looks great with detail, but the outer clear plastic piece is quite large......not sure I can use that...was hoping other people might have tried it and seen !!!...Not sure I want to mess with it or not !!!

My son has the galactic hero version of the falcon, I would never cut it up, but sound affects on it and the at-at are excellent , I keep my eye open for them now at boot sales .

Yeah, the engine light from the BMF is totally too large to use by itself. I was more thinking not so much about using it directly, but it did get me thinking about disguising any hot spots by adding a (properly scaled) grill to my Falcon if necessary. Really hoping I can just get the light diffused properly instead as I'd prefer the film look. Spent some more time with some 400 grit on the plastic tonight; some progress, but still not there yet. Tomorrow I'll give the cotton balls a try...

I finally decided , I am not going to do anything to this Hasbro MF.....I really don't have the time to mess with all of what it needs , plus I got the Deagostini falcon stuff coming in....I guess it was not worth my effort trying to get this stuff.....I just don't have the time !!!

I finally decided , I am not going to do anything to this Hasbro MF.....I really don't have the time to mess with all of what it needs , plus I got the Deagostini falcon stuff coming in....I guess it was not worth my effort trying to get this stuff.....I just don't have the time !!!

Sorry to hear that gyoung, BUT have you seen all the fantastic paint jobs of the Hasbro,...with no modifications

Practice & refine your painting skills,......then you'll be ready to paint up the DeAgostini ......& you'll also have a super light alcon to hang on a wall

J

Sorry to hear that gyoung, BUT have you seen all the fantastic paint jobs of the Hasbro,...with no modifications

Practice & refine your painting skills,......then you'll be ready to paint up the DeAgostini ......& you'll also have a super light alcon to hang on a wall

J
I agree...for $30 bucks..this falcon is a least a great practice model for how you may want to paint you DeAgostini

True , but I just don't have skills like some of you ...I mostly purchase whats already painted...LOL...I have like a closet full of models , I may never get too ...the way it looking...hehe

True , but I just don't have skills like some of you ...I mostly purchase whats already painted...LOL...I have like a closet full of models , I may never get too ...the way it looking...hehe
I guess the good news is that the DeAgostini falcon looks to have some ok paint on it...not perfect but not the worst thing I've seen... I'm going to wait until I have more parts to figure out what I'm going to do. The guns on the top and the chairs fall into the MUST PAINT category so far.

The only thing so far that looks kinda wonky are those super black laser blast marks...very slapped on

I agree tho..sometimes it's nice to buy something already finished...Open the box, sit on the shelf...finished....enjoy :) Then again, i'm sure some of you repaint your HOT TOYS..heheh

Sadly I also have a closet full of unpainted models....

I guess the good news is that the DeAgostini falcon looks to have some ok paint on it...not perfect but not the worst thing I've seen... I'm going to wait until I have more parts to figure out what I'm going to do. The guns on the top and the chairs fall into the MUST PAINT category so far.

The only thing so far that looks kinda wonky are those super black laser blast marks...very slapped on

I agree tho..sometimes it's nice to buy something already finished...Open the box, sit on the shelf...finished....enjoy :) Then again, i'm sure some of you repaint your HOT TOYS..heheh

Sadly I also have a closet full of unpainted models....

Not sure what was meant on the Hot toys comment......I know the 2 iron man hoys I have ...never have been touched , the came out of the box and put on the shelf......but for me , I thought I could get into model building however , I never can find time to invest that extreme amount of hours , or patience painting.....that is why the deagostini MF wont require very much weathering , so it is very tolerable .......paintwise the cabin seats etc , do needpainting for sure

Not sure what was meant on the Hot toys comment......I know the 2 iron man hoys I have ...never have been touched , the came out of the box and put on the shelf......but for me , I thought I could get into model building however , I never can find time to invest that extreme amount of hours , or patience painting.....that is why the deagostini MF wont require very much weathering , so it is very tolerable .......paintwise the cabin seats etc , do needpainting for sure

The hot toys comment is... they cost $200-$800 bucks and look amazing..yet I'm sure there are some people out there who still repaint them :)

I don't doubt that, but to me that's insane !!!....LOL....let me ask you this TronGod.....if I ever purchased a long cone for this MF Hasbro project , and cut the other cabin off, how would I get the 3d printed cone to attach to this and strengthen it....JB QUICK ??????????? Had considered that at one time...because I would want that to be very tough to hold , and not merely just barely glued on, what techniques is everyone going to use ??????

I don't doubt that, but to me that's insane !!!....LOL....let me ask you this TronGod.....if I ever purchased a long cone for this MF Hasbro project , and cut the other cabin off, how would I get the 3d printed cone to attach to this and strengthen it....JB QUICK ??????????? Had considered that at one time...because I would want that to be very tough to hold , and not merely just barely glued on, what techniques is everyone going to use ??????
Well the old cone just pops off...it uses some tabs to hold into place. I do have the long cabin 3d printed shapeways part..but have not attached it...but my thinking is that once you put in the 3d printed cockpit stuff that will help hold it into place...because the back wall will be held to the body, or even part of an internal frame.... So I believe you can get the cone held into place pretty good. ... That being said, it will never be as secure as the DeAgostini one that uses screws and such.
I always looked at the hasbro falcon as something that can't be mucked with after its built... that horrible dumpster plastic that its made out of will always be a source of some headaches..at least to me. This finally lead me to my horrible plan..I was planning on recasting some parts in resin... This was before I knew I could get a DeAgos.. I still think I may do this, but its going to be awhile because that would get expensive fast.

This plastic also gives a lot...so I was going to cover the inside with some resin or something. My big fear is that the paint would crack too easily otherwise..

I will point out (to be fair) there are a lot more people who have actually gotten a lot further with this project..so will be nice to hear others chime in...

Saw one post where someone got their first three DeArgostini sets and the body panels in each issue were all painted different base colors, close but obviously some darker or just off from the one next to it

Saw one post where someone got their first three DeArgostini sets and the body panels in each issue were all painted different base colors, close but obviously some darker or just off from the one next to it

I saw that too, but that was during the first couple of runs. The parts I got all the colors match perfectly.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back