Alien: Covenant (Post-release)

I went to the second showing of this last night, and to my surprise, there were quite a few people there! (When I saw GOTG2, there were maybe only 30-40 people there, whereas there were around 80-90 people at A:C's showing).

Having said that, I could tell the audience was VERY restless in the first act of the film. There was a lot of moving around, audible sighs, etc. Once the action started, this calmed down, but picked up again once the crane scene had concluded, and several people used that opportunity to get up and use the restroom/get food refills. It was quite interesting seeing their reactions to things though. Many people leaned back/squirmed when the Neomorphs were birthed, and one lady covered her eyes near me, putting her face down.

Personally, I really enjoy anything David related, so I liked this film for that reason. One standout scenes was his interaction with the Neomorph, and I honestly wish there were more occasions where he lost "emotional" control. That scene was very disturbing, and I loved it! The Walter/David dynamic was really cool too, and those scenes with both Fassbenders were awesome. The kiss between them was also super weird too, and I really liked that creepy scene too. The Peter Weyland prologue was fun too.

I didn't really feel much connection to any of the crew, though I did like the "new" captain, who was the God-oriented man. The chubby cheeked female lead didn't do anything for me. She just seemed like a throw-away character, as did everyone else. Throughout the entire movie I literally didn't care about one of them...

The story was decent, and if Aliens is not cannon any longer, then I think this is a fun alternative to how the Xenos came to be...I assume the un-canonization of non-Scott films will continue (as per cancellation of Blom's Alien movie), and we'll see more established "facts" stepped on in the near future...

Yeah checked it out last night.... I'd review, but most people are saying the same complaints.

The only think I'll say is, where' the awe?

None of these people would know there's an alien species capable of space travel, yet seeing wheat on a fluke stopover planet, and an alien ship, and another "Walter" and crazy aliens, and fossilized larger humanoids...

"Meh.... is that a ship? ehhhh... whatevs "

These colonists should have freaked the frak out over these discoveries. Almost no reaction.

Had they seen too many of these movies as well?

I love how David had not only hair dye available, but the correct color available to look just like Walter. Why exactly did David crash the Engineer ship anyway? I doubt he woke Shaw up after unleashing hell on the Primitive/yet far more advanced than us Engineer home world. You think he would have just up and went back to Earth after experimenting using the ship at the end if the Engineer ship was busted?

And lastly, that.."I'll do the fingering" line. Was anyone in a showing where the audience was not laughing after that?

Did anyone, ANYONE, think that was Walter and not David at the end?

Yeah don't have an offscreen death. No one buys it.

Also, anyone catch the wink at Bladerunner?

Walter doing his best Roy Batty...

"That's the SPIRIT!"

Last edited by a moderator:
NeoRutty, exactly! I lol'd at David saying "that's the spirit", and instantly thought Blade Runner.

I still don't get the black goo. So the Engineers from Prometheus use it to create life on Earth, but it also It is supposedly very unpredictable and will either kill you or make a neomorph?

Last edited by a moderator:
I love how David had not only hair dye available, but the correct color available to look just like Walter. Why exactly did David crash the Engineer ship anyway? I doubt he woke Shaw up after unleashing hell on the Primitive/yet far more advanced than us Engineer home world. You think he would have just up and went back to Earth after experimenting using the ship at the end if the Engineer ship was busted?

And lastly, that.."I'll do the fingering" line. Was anyone in a showing where the audience was not laughing after that?

He dyed his hair once, a whole movie ago.

Happy Birthday to me. Happy Birthday to me. Happy Birthday Dear Ted. Happy Birthday to-

"I'll do the fingering."

amts2v.jpg_zps6ssltg1v.gif

Yeah caught that, did you catch David mimicking a "REAL ACTOR" in a "REAL CLASSIC FILM" in this, which by the way I am getting ready to que up on the Blu-Ray player

Hmmm... Not sure what you're asking...or just restating? ha.

I love Fassbender... He's a real actor....

This however will never be a classic. And I too am popping in Blade Runner tonight.

In Promethius David was watching "Lawrence Of Arabia", in this travesty of a film he was singing the same song Peter O Toole sang.

If you have not seen that classic film I highly recommend it, it is a Cinematic Master Piece !

Hmmm... Not sure what you're asking...or just restating? ha.

I love Fassbender... He's a real actor....

This however will never be a classic. And I too am popping in Blade Runner tonight.

He dyed his hair once, a whole movie ago.

Yep, but his hair was long and blonde when we first see him at the Acopolis. He then cuts it, and it is the same color as Walters. Like I said, he just happened to have some hair dye available?

Also, on a side note...is no one going to talk about the baby Groot alien that pops out of the Captain and raises his hands at David? I was almost expecting him to wave.

In Promethius David was watching "Lawrence Of Arabia", in this travesty of a film he was singing the same song Peter O Toole sang.

If you have not seen that classic film I highly recommend it, it is a Cinematic Master Piece !

Ah yes, I see what you're saying. I have seen it, didn't make your connection.

I do need to rewatch that... it's been a loooong time.

I'll still put in Blade Runner first! heh.

:lol One of the most blatent and cringe inducing moments in this hamfisted piece of Trash! :lol

That the chestburster had that look at all bugged me.

We all have seen a chestburster a million times. I get that you can write it off as "Well it's a first generation... "

Eh. Looked dumb.

I'd have prefered it put on a top hat and sang "Hello, my baby"

Okay, David dropped the ampule dust onto the Engineers in that old Roman looking city, killing them all. So I am to believe that every Engineer on that entire planet lived in that one little city and all died in that amphitheater? Wouldn't there be billions of Engineers all over the planet?

And also, where is all the Engineers technology? There were no more Juggernaughts anywhere? No flying cars? No skyscrapers, no computers, no nothing? They lived in caves with glowing rocks for light???

Let me get this straight. You have a Facehugger that can latch onto someone's face, implant an Alien embryo into their body within the span of 10 seconds without rendering the them unconscious? Oh, and you can simply 'remove' the Facehugger during the process? How did the first film go again?

Dallas: Paralyzes him, puts him in a coma.... and keeps him alive. Now what the hell is that? Well we've got to get it off of him.
Ash: Just a minute. Just a minute. Let's not be too hasty. We don't know anything about 'it'. Now we're assuming it's feeding him Oxygen. If we remove it, it could kill him.​

That was pretty creepy point in explaining how the Facehugger worked. Was the implantation process so complex that the Facehugger would, intentionally or not, kill the host as a result? Well,

Bishop: Surgically removed before embryo implantation. Subject: Marachek, John J. died during the procedure. They killed him taking it off.​

Apparently yes! If Dallas was successful at removing the Facehugger, Kane would have died even without the chestburster inside of him. That's some scary stuff right there.

So what the fudge is this nonsense in Covenant? It's so out of the blue and unnecessary that it feels like that moment in AvP where a facehugger randomly appears and assaults the Predator. And to AvP's credit, we knew the Facehugger got the Predator. Here? It felt like they had actually managed to get the Facehugger off the guy's face in time before anything bad actually happened. Because why wouldn't it be? The Facehugger needs time to gestate on the host before it implants the Xenomorph embryo. You did it in ALIEN, Cameron did it in ALIENS (Even deleting a scene in ALIENS with Burke because it felt too quick). But here? NOPE! That Facehugger did the whole nine yards on that guy in the span of 10 freaking seconds! You're worse at honoring the mythology of your franchise than Paul W. Anderson!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back