Post Your Photo with Carrie Fisher. Or your story with her. (Here's mine.)

The Wook

Master Member
[I've been meaning to start this thread. After watching that touching tribute video to Carrie tonight, I couldn't wait any longer. What's your story with Carrie. Post a photo if you have one. Here's mine.]

I said after her passing, Carrie is the only celebrity whose death I have ever mourned. It's as though a small part of me died with her. And I only met the woman for one minute.

Just one minute, barely long enough to take this photo. It was late in the day, and San Diego Comic-Con was wrapping up, circa 2006. I didn't even notice the princess, as a friend and I were exiting the main room. Carrie excitedly shouted, "Hey Chewie, can I get a photo with you?!", as she jumped to her feet, hustling to fetch her camera from her bag before I disappeared. Carrie handed her camera to my friend who snapped a photo, and then the same photo was taken with my camera, which I had quickly dug out of my pouch. I was exhausted, after a full day of performing at the con for Master Replicas. For some reason, I stayed in character for Carrie, never removing my mask, and communicating with her only through hugs and roars. A minute later, I left.

Carrie was virtually all alone at her booth, and the convention floor had practically emptied. I could've taken off my mask, sat down with her, and enjoyed a great conversation with this wonderful woman, who'd been such a colossal figure in my childhood. All of which I knew at the time. But between being the LFL promotional Chewie, and also doing frequent high-profile events with the 501st, I remember thinking, "I am wiped out. I'll have ample opportunities to meet her again.".

I never did.

Oh, the folly of youth. I thought I had all the time in the world to have that conversation with her. How I wish I had taken that opportunity when it was right in front of me. Today, with Carrie gone forever, I sometimes think about all the things I would say to her...if I could only have that chance back.

The Wook

sdcc06 005cNew.jpg

Last edited:
That's a really sweet story. How many of these public figures have the generosity to reach out to fans on an equal footing, asking for a fan photo…?

Outstanding costume, BTW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well at least you got to meet her, big fella,...& it was her that wanted a photo with you

Although I've never met her, I know how you feel about her,...she was something else

J

That's a really sweet story. How many of these public figures have the generosity to reach out to fans on an equal footing, asking for a fan photo…?

Outstanding costume, BTW.

Thanks. Ya know, that's what was so special about Carrie. A member of Hollywood royalty in real life, she also played a princess in the movies--and yet, she was anything but imperious.

Carrie was one of a kind. And we were so lucky to know her...even if it was only on the silver screen.

The Wook

I was so looking forward to her being at ECCC this year because I didn't get to meet her last time she was here and I really, desperately wanted to. I like to tell people that growing up, I had my own "holy trinity" that I looked up to: Linda Carter's Wonder Woman, Wilma Deering, and Princess Leia. They were my fierce, beautiful role models who showed me that sometimes it's up to the girls to rescue the guys and that doesn't mean you can't be feminine and beautiful at the same time.

I met Erin Grey some years ago at ECCC and had hoped to meet Carrie as well. Alas, it was not to be...

I was so looking forward to her being at ECCC this year because I didn't get to meet her last time she was here and I really, desperately wanted to. I like to tell people that growing up, I had my own "holy trinity" that I looked up to: Linda Carter's Wonder Woman, Wilma Deering, and Princess Leia. They were my fierce, beautiful role models who showed me that sometimes it's up to the girls to rescue the guys and that doesn't mean you can't be feminine and beautiful at the same time.

I met Erin Grey some years ago at ECCC and had hoped to meet Carrie as well. Alas, it was not to be...

Firesprite, I'm sure Carrie would've loved hearing about your "Holy Trinity".

The Wook

Great photo The Wook and a lovely story to accompany :) Attending SWCE II in Essen back in 2013 as CREW member wearing my Jedi robe over my CREW-outfit ... the lovely Carrie Fisher, probably on her way to her photo-opportunity booth or perhaps the main stage, passed me by . . . so I quickly whispered just loud enough for her to notice ... 'I love you . . . and I love your dog!' She immediately halted in her step ... looked me straight into my eyes with that gentle yet fierce gleam in hers, as only Princess Leia can and replied : 'Why thank you!'

Priceless . . . thank you Carrie Fisher for that brief moment in time in this corner of the galaxy . . . you'll always be my only Princess . . . with Gary along your side :)

Chaïm

Great photo The Wook and a lovely story to accompany :) Attending SWCE II in Essen back in 2013 as CREW member wearing my Jedi robe over my CREW-outfit ... the lovely Carrie Fisher, probably on her way to her photo-opportunity booth or perhaps the main stage, passed me by . . . so I quickly whispered just loud enough for her to notice ... 'I love you . . . and I love your dog!' She immediately halted in her step ... looked me straight into my eyes with that gentle yet fierce gleam in hers, as only Princess Leia can and replied : 'Why thank you!'

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/Carrie Fisher 1956 - 2016_zpstbteoqo7.jpg

Priceless . . . thank you Carrie Fisher for that brief moment in time in this corner of the galaxy . . . you'll always be my only Princess . . . with Gary along your side :)

Chaïm

Very cool moment to share with the princess, Sym-Cha.

The Wook

I had a paid meet and great with her at Phoenix Comic-Con about 4 years ago but couldn't stay until my scheduled time and had to leave. :(

I've had this sitting on my DVR for the last several months and just worked up the wherewithal to watch:

I still miss our Princess terribly, but it was wonderful getting this insight into her real life and seeing just how bad ass the woman behind Leia really was.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great story Wook!

I never met her. But every time I think of her, I think of my 5 year old daughter. Leia was the perfect feminist. She didn't have time for anything. She didn't have the patience for dealing with bullcrap. The fact that even when Tarkin was gonna blow up her planet, she friggin' lied to him about the location of the rebel base.

Leia and Carrie are the heroes I want for my daughter.

I was standing in line at the disney store when I got the news about Carrie's death. My daughter was with me and we were buying some stupid princess doll. It was so hard not to tell her about it. I should have. When I got to the front of the line, I told the cashier (of the disney store) that Carrie fisher just died. She looked at me blankly and I had to explain who it was.

Incidentally, That's a fantastic wookie costume! I took my daughter to the fan-expo (toronto) when she was two years old and she encountered the best wookie costume I had ever seen. I swear it was 12 feet tall. She was more scared than she had ever been. It totally scarred her. She still hasn't gotten over it and can't go anywhere near people in costume. I totally messed her up.

So horrible what happned and yet how beautiful that they were not seperated for long... :(

I've had this sitting on my DVR for the last several months and just worked up the wherewithal to watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K97Rthh-qmk

I still miss our Princess terribly, but it was wonderful getting this insight into her real life and seeing just how bad ass the woman behind Leia really was.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back