Anyone Know What Mad-Eye’s Wand Actually Looked Like?

The14thDr

Sr Member
For my next Harry Potter replica, I'm planning on making Mad-Eye's wand as it appears in Goblet of Fire. However, my search for decent reference images of the original prop just gave me more questions than answers, which I was hoping some of you might be able to help me with.

My first step was to check the "Harry Potter: Wand Collection" book (a brilliant reference guide containing photos of most of the original props made for the films) and this showed the wand looking just like the version currently being offered by the Noble Collection:
90b186bb315d0da58918d02d5f00665d.jpg

The book also states that "Moody actually kept more than one wand, including a silver one dedicated to the repair of his prosthetic leg."

However, when I looked at these screencaps from the movie, I noticed that the main part of the wand looked smooth, and nothing at all like the rough (almost scaly) texture seen on the Noble and "Wand Collection" wands.
388590a6fc44d218d24e7a5682195741.jpg

10efc600b9f91ed370aa37c4053e512a.jpg

My search then took me to the Harry Potter Wikia page for Mad-Eye's wand, which had the following to say about both the original props and Noble's replica:
A new version of the wand was released by the Noble Collection. It is larger than the original that was available in an Ollivander's box and it has two rings with a metallic look. ..... The 'Ollivanders box' version of the wand is accurate to its appearance in The Goblet of Fire.
So it seems that the photo shown in the Wand Collection book is of the mysterious unseen prop that was made after Goblet of Fire (perhaps for The Deathly Hallows Part 1?)

The mention of an earlier, "Ollivander's Box" version of the Noble replica led me to this, which I found on Google Images:
474f802990136c0e137b47ba9fd3c1a9.jpg

(I also found a review of this particular wand showing it in more detail here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVCjOlPY0G4)

However (as if things weren't already confusing enough!) I then stumbled across an image of the original wand on display at the Warner Bros' Studio Tour in London. As you can see, this looks nothing like any other version of Mad-Eye's wand that we've seen and doesn't seem to match the screencaps taken from the movie, so the only explanation I can come up with is that this might be another of the "more than one wand" mentioned in the reference book that we simply never saw on-screen.
772132c10b47b2566fa92bbd3945f0fe.jpg

So I guess my question is, does anyone have any other information on any of these wands and why they all look so different? At the moment it appears that the closest thing to what we saw on screen is the "Ollivander's Box" replica made by Noble Collection, but I want to be completely sure before I start building my own. I know it's difficult given that we never see the wand's handle in the film, but what we do see (dark, mainly smooth wood with no rings) doesn't match any of the above images that are labelled as the "original prop" (only Noble's "Ollivander's Box" version.)

Finally, if my theory about the studio tour prop is correct, why did they bother making multiple wands for the same character if he is only briefly seen using one?

I know it's kind of a big question, but I'll be extremely grateful for any help/input that I receive with this one.

Kind regards,
14th

I would try to get a hold of a high quality version of Goblet of Fire, like the Blu-Ray, and rewatch it if you haven't already, specifically the unforgivable curses scene. I can't tell how in focus this shot is, as the youtube video I got it from only went up to 240p, but there seems to be a POV shot when he's controlling the first spider that shows the handle of his wand. Here's a screen cap from that poor quality video:
https://imgur.com/a/oqZ4p

Attachments

• MAD EYE.PNG
    MAD EYE.PNG
    504.3 KB · Views: 221
Well,in the Unforgivable Curses scene it was actually Barty Crouch Jr. so it could be any wand. Although it was listed that he was using one of Moody's wands during his impersonation. With the multiple wands on hand and it being Barty in disguise, the use of many varied wands makes sense. Moody also cast with his walking staff so you could make the case that he never had "one" particular wand.

Hey @gryphon38, unfortunately I don’t have a Blu-Ray player, so the best I could do was this shot in 1080p (cropped and brightened to show the wand more clearly.)
4b840ead5edf1bc3e8c2d72e09da414f.jpg

Moody’s hand isn’t really in focus, but I can see enough to be certain that the closest to what was used during the Unforgivable Curses scene was Noble’s “Ollivander’s Box” replica.

EDIT: I wasn’t able to get any clear screenshots but in the scene where Mad-Eye turns Malfoy into a ferret, the wand looks the same as in the Unforgivable Curses scene. Perhaps the script originally called for him to have multiple wands (hence why more than one design was made) but only one ended up being shown on screen?

With the multiple wands on hand and it being Barty in disguise, the use of many varied wands makes sense. Moody also cast with his walking staff so you could make the case that he never had "one" particular wand.
True enough, I guess the only way to be as accurate as possible is to make all 3! (Now I’m really curious about that silver wand mentioned in “The Wand Collection”; if it was mentioned by one of the prop makers in that book, at least one must have been made for the film...)

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to bump this thread after so long, but in doing my own research into the props I thought I'd chime in to clear up any misunderstanding:
Mad-Eye only ever uses one wand in Goblet of Fire - this is the shorter version Noble Collection released earlier. In a few exhibitions it was revealed the club-like version with the golden bands was a concept version that was unused. In 2010, Noble Collection acquired the moulds of many of the wands used in Deathly Hallows Parts 1 and 2 and with that the company released a version which we never see being used on screen, but has elements of both the concept wand and the earlier shorter version - if that makes sense.
The veracity of claims made in the Wand Book is hard to verify because not only does the book present images of props as they appear in the films (cast resin duplicates) it also presents what appears to be early master props - in the case of Lupin's - which are different from their final onscreen prop counterparts. The only bit of trivia I can possibly link to the claim Moody possessed multiple wands concurrently is that the Order of the Phoenix action figure version of the character is given three different wand accessories - 1.) His original shorter version, 2.) The larger 'concept' version and 3.) A metallic version different in design to the rest. So the Wand Book may not have been given access to the entirety of the wand props produced for the series. Where is Flitwick's original wand? What about Cornelius Fudge or Barty Crouch Sr's wands?

I want to also point out that when Noble acquired the newer moulds that this also included updated versions of some of the other characters previously released including Harry's which is a different mould from Noble Collection's original 2004 release.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back