Just watched Highlander for the first time. Just awful!

The series was great and had a who's who of washed up Rock stars in various roles, Joan Jett, Vanity, Sheena Easton, Martin Kemp.

Roland Gift was great as the evil Xavier St. Cloud and of course the awesome performances Rock God Roger Daltry gave as the irrascible Hugh Fitzcarin

I've never see Highlander in it's entirety. I could never get through it.

I saw the original in the theater when I was 13 and heavily into Dungeons & Dragons. It definitely has a tremendous amount of nostalgia attached to it for me. I still enjoy it today and have more appreciation for the gritty look of the film, the camera movements and scene transitions. It was the first time I saw something in the fantasy genre that the film makers seemed to take seriously. Has anyone mentioned the costumes and props? GORGEOUS! I really prefer the European release to the theatrical release in the states. Watched it with my kid when she was 13 and she liked it but not to the degree I did.
I've never seen any sequels or the TV show, one of the aspects I liked to the original was that it was a self contained story. When the sequel was announced I rolled my eyes, knowing it was just a cash grab. There can be only one!

Next year my brothers will be living in the same part of the county as me, we're considering a you tube series of 5 shorts telling the tales of immortals being hunted down by the Kurgan pre-gathering. One brother is 6'8" 280lbs, he'd make a great Kurgan!

.....and thank you for this thread which has me watching episodes of the series again :thumbsup

The point was I watched a movie the other night because its so well regarded. I didnt like what so ever and I was looking for some opinions as to why people loved it so much. Simple as that. You answered my questions wonderfully. Thank you. The opening to your response seems a bit hostile though don't you think?

I recently attended Adrian Paul’s SWORD EXPERIENCE!

Nothing compares to sword fighting THE HIGHLANDER!!

b50519a3673cded53b250854a450d6b4.jpg

ff4a56ab830a31ace2a7aa766d8da46f.jpg

I recently attended Adrian Paul’s SWORD EXPERIENCE!

Nothing compares to sword fighting THE HIGHLANDER!!

Did you manage to chop off his head? Admittedly I'd be pretty happy for you if you had, but also mad at you for killing Adrian Paul.

Did you manage to chop off his head? Admittedly I'd be pretty happy for you if you had, but also mad at you for killing Adrian Paul.

That'd be pretty difficult to do with a bokken.

Also, does Paul actually know how to fight with a sword or is this more of a stage-fighting thing?

That'd be pretty difficult to do with a bokken.

Also, does Paul actually know how to fight with a sword or is this more of a stage-fighting thing?
Difficult, but not impossible, it's about patience. :lol
I always wondered that myself, I think it's a bit of a mix with movie swordfights, they would need to learn to a degree to look authentic, but then all moves are planned and practiced ahead. Would love to know more in depth, I really liked watching BTS footage of Star Wars and the like where they were training with the swords.

Adrian started out knowing some martial arts, but not much sword stuff. That, plus bad-guys-of-the-week who weren't cast for their swordsmanship, and we got a whole season of those gawdawful sped-up fight sequences. He definitely threw himself into it, though. Not just the mechanics, but also the meditative and philosophical aspects. I think it bugged him that there was something so closely related to what he already knew and was interested in that he hadn't grokked. *heh*

I absolutely love Highlander, the cinematography, the 80's music video vibe, the crazy NY cops, the cheeky music cues, the otherness of Lambert and Connery as the imortals, and especially the wonderful Queen soundtrack. It's a cult of it's time and I will watch it through every time it comes on TV. FUN FUN FUN! :)

When I hear people badmouthing Highlander:

BURN HIM!

....They’ll be no burning here today...we’ll banish him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a guilty pleasure film for sure. But you have to give it up for Clancy Brown, he's a blast. If he wasn't in the flik it barely would be watchable.

I used to go to the bar where Connor talks to the girl. It's the great Peter McManus Cafe on 7th and 19th St. One of the last honest-to-god corner bars remaining in NYC.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back