Stranger Things (Netflix)

I caught a goof. RE the blue Camaro. In an earlier episode the mean older brother used a power window switch. But in episode 5 he picks up Max at the arcade and there is a window crank on the door panel.

finished it last night. We liked it.

No foolin'? .....wow...
100% serious. He has since made a public apology for missing the premier and all that, saying he's trying to get the matter resolved. No apology for the cocaine, but his statement made it seem like it was a misunderstanding. Although I'm not sure how drug dogs mistake cocaine..

100% serious. He has since made a public apology for missing the premier and all that, saying he's trying to get the matter resolved. No apology for the cocaine, but his statement made it seem like it was a misunderstanding. Although I'm not sure how drug dogs mistake cocaine..

A drug smugglers suitcase breaks open in-flight? :)

demo.jpg

. Although I'm not sure how drug dogs mistake cocaine..

Sniffer dogs provide an indication, they're not 100% all the time.

I really enjoyed this season, a very worthy follow up to the 1st. My only real issue was Max and BIlly and Ep 7.

Max was OK, and was good to bring tesnsion to the group, but Billy seemed to exist purely to have that fight with Steve, which would prevent him from stopping the kids acting out their plan to burn the tunnels. Hopefully he will be fleshed out or have a purpose in S3.

Ep 7 was a bit off, I liked El having her own episode, I just felt it could have been a lot better. This seems like a set up for a spin off that would be another X-Men/Heroes clone.

Also, Rudy should have made it.

Sniffer dogs provide an indication, they're not 100% all the time.

I really enjoyed this season, a very worthy follow up to the 1st. My only real issue was Max and BIlly and Ep 7.

Max was OK, and was good to bring tesnsion to the group, but Billy seemed to exist purely to have that fight with Steve, which would prevent him from stopping the kids acting out their plan to burn the tunnels. Hopefully he will be fleshed out or have a purpose in S3.

Ep 7 was a bit off, I liked El having her own episode, I just felt it could have been a lot better. This seems like a set up for a spin off that would be another X-Men/Heroes clone.

Also, Rudy should have made it.

I agree with that. They never gave sufficient reason why Billy acted the way that he did, he was just a ********* to everyone for no appreciable reason.

Because he was being abused/bullied by his dad. That's classically how the cycle goes.

That said, he still didn't do much for the plot and they set it up to be something worse. They redeemed Steve and they couldn't help but redeem Billy slightly too. I would have loved for him just to have been a dick that gets a demi-dog to the face.

I agree with that. They never gave sufficient reason why Billy acted the way that he did, he was just a ********* to everyone for no appreciable reason.

I've been thinking about this.

Growing up there was a kid that lived down the street from me, a couple of years older than I was. He lived with his dad, brother, step-brother, and step-mom.

He was ALWAYS violent...getting in fights, constantly had an attitude, seemed pretty self destructive.

It wasn't until years later that my parents told me that this kid's father had always been fairly abusive, and on more than one occasion his "punishments" had basically just been his dad beating on him.

Thinking back on it, this guy acted EXTREMELY similarly to the way Billy does in the show. He was extremely mean and often times borderline abusive with his step-brother, but at the same time ultra, ultra protective of that brother, to the point of seeming suspicious of everyone his step-brother associated with. He treated him the same way that Billy treats Max. He was HYPER competitive when it came to sports...oddly enough, basketball was his primary sport. When he got his drivers license he drove like a maniac.

I hadn't put much thought into it, but once I started thinking about it, this kid WAS Billy...like so much so that it's kind of scary.

They did a really poor job of conveying the motivations of Billy. And none of his motivations served the plot at all.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

They did a really poor job of conveying the motivations of Billy. And none of his motivations served the plot at all.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I think he served the purpose of being a 'bad guy' for Max to overcome. She was out of the loop for 90% of the Upside-down related events, so this was her own evil to overcome. Just my thoughts on the topic.

Finished Stranger Things 2 last night. So bummed it's over!! I'm a HUGE fan of the show and I really enjoyed it. I didn't have many expectations going into 2, so I enjoyed it greatly for what it was. It's got a slow start, but once it gets going, boy does it get going. Probably not as good as the first and it had some flaws, but overall I thought it was 'b*tchin'.

So many great things! Glad they did some world building, expanding what the Upside Down is and the kinds of beings that inhabit it. The Mind Flayer was a really neat villain - they really upped the ante from the lone Demagorgon. Every scene with Hopp and Eleven was epic. I got a kick out of the obvious Gremlins references with Dustin and Dart. Poor Will never gets a break, but dang did that kid do a great job with that role! Joyce was great too, and it was great how they trashed her house again - can't wait for what it will look like in 3 haha. Steve playing Mr. Mom at the end was amazing and totally unexpected! The Snow Ball dance at the end was fantastic in every way. I laughed my ass off when Dustin showed up with the new hairdo and it was so sweet of Nancy to dance with him. This show never fails to warm my heart.

Lots of great character arcs, but I wasparticularly happy how well written Steve's was this time around. I always liked him in the first, but now that he's a full-on awesome dude, he's my favorite character.

I agree with the previous sentiments about ep. 7. I get that Eleven needed her Luke/Yoda moment and I did enjoyed the jarring punk setting juxtaposing the rural town of Hawkins. I just thought it slowed the pacing dramatically just as things were getting totally crazy back in Hawkins.

As for our new additions...Bob was great! I didn't quite get him at first, but once he grew on me I was sad he didn't make it. I also didn't quite get Max in the beginning either. I kept waiting for her to turn out to be another experiment and was honestly disappointed she was just a normal girl. Billy was interesting and mysterious, and I liked what they were going for, but I just wished he'd been more of a pressing threat to the kids throughout the whole thing and not just the finale. I kind of hope he in in 3.

Dr. Owens was pretty good too. I don't think I ever fully trusted him at any point, though. I wonder if that was intentional. Even after he decides to step up and actually help, there's just something that's still kind of creepy about him that I just don't like. I wonder how big of a role he'll have going forward.

Those are just some thoughts I have after my first viewing. Can't wait for Stranger Things 3!

Last edited:
I think Billy was just to highlight the evolution of Steve...Steve in season 1 was the "Billy" Character also brought another family type into the mix

(You have Mike an Lucas with the traditional mom/dad/sibling)
(you have Dustin,Will and Jonathan - Single Mom)
(Hopper and 11 - Single Dad)
(Billy/Max - step parents)

which also I feel was a big thing in the late 80's- I didn't have many friends who had step siblings in the early mid eighties but by the late 80's early 90's many of my friends parents had divorced and re-married so in away they bring that to the show as well about how much the real world was changing.

While the side episode with El didn't seem to please most I kinda think they did it to show (more people with powers exist...and potentially some of them bad...or also with the ability to Open The Gate. and the fact Brenner is alive.

cause with El about to have a public life and the Gate closed you gotta imagine an outsider is going to have to be the one to re-introduce the up-side-down and open the gate.

Billy was interesting and mysterious, and I liked what they were going for, but I just wished he'd been more of a pressing threat to the kids throughout the whole thing and not just the finale. I kind of hope he in in 3.

Billy bugged me. I too get what they were going for but he was like an "uncanny valley" metal\stoner\hesher type dude. He had the music, the car, the clothes but was just too... pretty and clean... Nothing about him looked like he's smelled of stale Vodka\OJ, cigarettes and denim and as a pressing threat, they really needed to give him a small group or something. I mean growing up around that time there was always that group of older neighborhood kids that liked to **** with you.. a single agro dude.. not so much of a threat. Like, give him a group of friends like the Jocks from "Dazed and Confused" who were terrorizing the incoming freshmen. The type that made you re-think maybe going to the arcade that night or taking a street\path home.. not some dude who just rolls up and revs his engine loudly while looking pained in the driver seat.

Yeah a group standing behind him, looking up to him with psychotic worship, is what you need...

a guy who can control that group snapping his fingers...

Think of Keifer Sutherland's "Ace" in Stand By Me... He didn't actually do anything and he was intimidating as *****

I also had to look up Billy's age... I was POSITIVE he was 35...

But he was only 22.

Drink your milk, kids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Billy bugged me. I too get what they were going for but he was like an "uncanny valley" metal\stoner\hesher type dude. He had the music, the car, the clothes but was just too... pretty and clean... Nothing about him looked like he's smelled of stale Vodka\OJ, cigarettes and denim and as a pressing threat, they really needed to give him a small group or something. I mean growing up around that time there was always that group of older neighborhood kids that liked to **** with you.. a single agro dude.. not so much of a threat. Like, give him a group of friends like the Jocks from "Dazed and Confused" who were terrorizing the incoming freshmen. The type that made you re-think maybe going to the arcade that night or taking a street\path home.. not some dude who just rolls up and revs his engine loudly while looking pained in the driver seat.

I totally agree. They kind of hinted at this with Tommy (following Billy at the party chanting his name and giving Steve a hard time in the showers after practice), but this never came to fruition. Tommy and a couple other jerks like him would have been perfect for that little band of a**hats terrorizing the kids. I don't think that we've seen the last of Billy, and I expect the Duffers will write in something similar to Ace's group in 3. At least I hope they do.

Because he was being abused/bullied by his dad. That's classically how the cycle goes.

That said, he still didn't do much for the plot and they set it up to be something worse. They redeemed Steve and they couldn't help but redeem Billy slightly too. I would have loved for him just to have been a dick that gets a demi-dog to the face.

Except nowhere did they show him getting physically abused or necessarily bullied. There was one scene where his father yelled at him, mostly because Billy was a complete screw up and deserved it. There was nowhere that they showed his dad as drunk, where he hit him or even threatened him with physical harm or even referred to having ever caused physical harm. Essentially, it was "Billy, you're a jerk, you screwed up and didn't do what you were supposed to do, so now you're getting a well-deserved punishment."

And Steve never really got redeemed either, except in the eyes of the kids. He was still, even in the very last scene he was in, telling Dustin not to care what anyone thinks of him. He learned no lessons. He didn't become a better person. He was still a jerk.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back