EFX DARTH VADER ANH PCR HELMETS (SPECIAL and STANDARD EDITIONS)

Well, seems that for this helmet to be 501ST eligible, I'll need to fix the side tusks seams. Really nervous about doing that. Going to have to repaint the entire helmet now, I'm sure too.

Its really not that bright at all in person It's a shame. It's just so sunny here today that all I'm getting on the Iphone and the little camera that I've got is this bright contrasty nonsence.

https://s19.postimg.org/umaucc1xf/mydarth71.jpg

Plus its not really finished yet, I just wanted to post todays progress after not touching it for a while :) but for those who asked, here it is with the helmet on and lenses (which have been cut in half to fit the new openings) and grills just temporarily stuck in place before it all comes apart again.

https://s19.postimg.org/q2u0d2uo3/myvader460.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/915roq56r/mydarth75.jpg

Dude! I'm totally going to rework mine the same way. That looks AMAZING!

Well, seems that for this helmet to be 501ST eligible, I'll need to fix the side tusks seams. Really nervous about doing that. Going to have to repaint the entire helmet now, I'm sure too.
really? That's weird, one would think that wouldn't be as much of an issue. When I read the 501st ANH vader list, the first thing I noticed is that the helmet needs to have Y-shaped indentation in the dome near the widows peak ( which the EFX doesn't have) And I thought THAT would be the dealbreaker.

I totally love mine. This really was the helmet I was looking for. Its sitting next to my fiberglass ROTS helmet and certainly does not pale in comparison being "only" plastic. I know so many people hate the ROTS helmet, but I think it represents the prequel trilogy brilliantly. Prequels were a fireworks of polished digital effects without the tangible real-world feel of SW I have loved since I was a kid. The smooth, sharp, shiny and symmetrical helmet speaks the same language. The ANH helmet then again has that wonderful real-world feeling. While I love them both, the ROTS helmet does pale in comparison as the ANH just looks so frigging awesome!

Got a question as well. I have some stains on the eFX dome, looks to me its mold release. Vigorous polishing with a micro fiber cloth kinda helped on one, but what would you guys recommend for removal?

Got a question as well. I have some stains on the eFX dome, looks to me its mold release. Vigorous polishing with a micro fiber cloth kinda helped on one, but what would you guys recommend for removal?
You could try Novus plastic polish. Or 3M does some more advanced polishing compounds.

Thank you so much for the info....but can anyone ballpark guess as to why the original poster said that the helmets felt "cheap?" Is it simply because it doesn't have the weight of fiberglass? I've never thought my DP Classic Action felt cheap, even after I bought my first fiberglass helmet. I guess I just wonder what the op chose the phrase "cheap."

I think and I concurr, this is a really nice helmet but the dome looks like it's a plastic dome. That's not a knock the quality, more on the finish. The finish on the dome is very shiny /plasticky. While the fcemask doesn't look like that. This is the biggest reason for me to have it repainted, because the thing looks absolutely beautiful but the dome looks like a toy vader helmet dome with an incredible sculpt.

I'd like to chime in and say this helmet (dome) could feel much more like the real thing if it just had a simple and thin layer of fibre glass layer in a well prepped inner.
Seal with glue of filler the join between the raised centre and dome halves.
fix little bump above right eye and paint.
I may not glass the inside of mine (as I don't really mind it being lightweight for a change) but the rest I still intend to do.
I just don't know when I'll get round to it as it looks really ok as is.....

Stuff like this makes me mad. I remember a few years ago thinking the majority of 501st-er's weren't that concerned with accuracy. It bothered me a lot. Especially the bobble-heads. Now the opposite is happening. They come off sounding like a bunch of elitist jerks if this is truly the case with Vader.

I'd like to add more of an obvious Y to the dome and also get rid of/sand out that bump on the helmets right side brow. I'm just concerned about getting the plastic surface smooth again in both areas. Any tips on how to do this?

Stuff like this makes me mad. I remember a few years ago thinking the majority of 501st-er's weren't that concerned with accuracy. It bothered me a lot. Especially the bobble-heads. Now the opposite is happening. They come off sounding like a bunch of elitist jerks if this is truly the case with Vader.

I understand how it can seem that way, and I'm sure some people in the group might even see themselves as elite and high and mighty, but I think the standards are a good thing, even though it's pretty frustrating at times, like with this helmet.

They definitely don't feel or look cheap, they are great quality for the price, and there is nothing flimsy about them at all.

I disagree - somewhat...

What surprises me with this helmet is how they truly have a foot on each side of the line. Sitting on the table, it looks perfect. No screaming inaccuracies, no indication of less expensive build or materials.

But when you pick it up and realize it is fairly light plastic - almost like a high-end plastic model kit - it causes a moment of pause.

Have you had the chance to see the Terminator Blu-Ray Endo Skull bust? Horribly inaccurate, and made of vac-metalized plastic. Looks bad; feels cheap. But what if it had the same exact construction, but was dead-on accurate?

Last edited:
I think and I concurr, this is a really nice helmet but the dome looks like it's a plastic dome. That's not a knock the quality, more on the finish. The finish on the dome is very shiny /plasticky. While the fcemask doesn't look like that. This is the biggest reason for me to have it repainted, because the thing looks absolutely beautiful but the dome looks like a toy vader helmet dome with an incredible sculpt.

I had this model as a kid...

tab-vi.jpg

Thing was huge - a foot or two long. I built it un-painted. But it always looked like plastic, not painted sheet metal.

I think you see my point...

Plastic seems to have an essence that communicates "I'm plastic", even if it is intrinsically colored. Painting masks that. Makes sense - you see the paint; not the substrate.

All that being said, the dome on this Vader helmet is more than just "passable" left as is. It honestly doesn't look all that "plasticy" unless you pick it up and dwell upon its construction.

This helmet is not flimsy, not paper thin, and if someone tells you it is, they are being ridiculously picky. It's a solid sturdy helmet and it's lightweight. Shipped, in the box, with all the packing materials, the box shipped was nearly 8 lbs and I'm sure the helmet probably weighs about 6-7, maybe. It's a good helmet that people hate on too much.

The eFX weighs in at 2.75 pounds.

The DP Deluxe weighs 6.75 pounds

Soooooo goooood. Yeah, I just roughly guessed at it. But man, 2.75 lbs vs 6.75? I'm glad I jumped at the EFX even if it does need modded. If the average human head weighs eight pounds according to that Jerry McGuire kid, I don't need 6.75 more weighing on my neck for a total of 14.75 lbs.

I love this helmet!

Egon Spengler the filler I used to fill the gaps was just ordinary car filler, it seems to be as good as anything.
The bump on the dome should be easily sanded and filled.
Can't think of any tips, this plastic is fine for this sort of thing. Sand fill paint sand fill paint like always.
Not like cheap waxy polypropylene, that is weird and annoying stuff.

The 501st Vaders must be over the moon with this lid. Looks as good as a very expensive helmet, weighs the same as a rubies cheap one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks spacebob I just picked up some black Quicksteel epoxy putty by Blue Magic :) Last night I removed the tusks. I'll probably be working on sanding them down tonight to a nice round shape on their inner sides. Thanks again man! Your work was inspiring!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have to pull my plastic EFX helmet out of its box to make sure, but from what I remember when I first got it, the PCR EFX helmet had a very, very similar look to the much more expensive fiberglass Limited that I also own. I took some side-by-side pics and the two were very hard to tell apart. I think as far as finish, shine, texture or whatever else they did a pretty fantastic job. Maybe someone has posted some high-quality comparison pics?

How accurate is that weight? Did someone weigh that, or is that an eFx quote?

I wonder because I just weighed my old DP Classic Action and it weighed 3.0 lbs and I never thought that was flimsy. The dome of the eFx looks twice as thick too.

How accurate is that weight? Did someone weigh that, or is that an eFx quote?

I wonder because I just weighed my old DP Classic Action and it weighed 3.0 lbs and I never thought that was flimsy. The dome of the eFx looks twice as thick too.

I weighed them on my wife's kitchen scale we use for eBay shipping. Placed the faceplates / domes upside down on the scale, and had to steady them with a finger. Doing so can add or subtract weight, so I tried to keep my finger as "un-influential" as possible. So the weights may be off an ounce or two at most.

Makes sense that the DP CA was about the same as the eFX, considering the construction materials.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back