Round 2 1/48 Space 1999 Eagle build

Caffeine65

Hi all. I don't post here much, but I've been having so much fun with my 22" Eagle and the good folks in the Space 1999 Props & Ships Facebook group, I thought I'd share here as well. Here's my build so far. I'm going for a "prop" look rather than a mini spaceship, so I'm working on weathering it accordingly (rather than in a realistic manner). My weathering, color, and paint choices are deeply inspired by David Sisson's Eagle 1 restoration photos.

Some added greeblies to the inner boxes.
26404392916_44593b578e_c.jpg

I tried to make the inner boxes as filthy looking as I could (if you look at the resto photos at the link above, you'll see what I mean). When I sprayed the outer structure, the overspray lightened them up so they look more blended.
26404396066_5caeab281d_c.jpg

The spine, cages and inner boxes in place. Although it's impossible to tell from the terrible photo, I used a gradient of light aircraft gray and white, with splotches of modern desert sand on the underside.
25827523083_a888c07a3f_c.jpg

Some subtle washes of black and oak, plus a little brass dry brushed here and there.
25825480564_0df5c2b43c_c.jpg

Here, I am trying to emulate the maze of panel lines on Eagle 1's shoulder pods. Not going for an exact replica, just the flavor.
25825483954_51f7f45b27_c.jpg

Panel lines, ghost panels, and decals finished. Ghost panels were done with CreateFX gray stain.
25825483524_9f5cb6e4f7_c.jpg

Black and oak wash on the shoulder pods. The control module is currently getting the same treatment.
26337986042_eefc435a0d_c.jpg

26364143371_1f92aef5e6_c.jpg

You've got that weathered look perfect Caffine,....it looks spot on
J
this is looking great!!!!!

Thanks, guys! A little more progress pics to show.

Command module panel lines and wash to match the shoulder pods. I think I went just a touch overboard with these, but they're striking and I like the overall look, so I'm happy.
26544210252_0bbd68ca0a_c.jpg

For the cockpit interior and pilots, I really wanted a Star Wars prop feel. I left off the clear windows, and the pilots are decidedly crude. The colors (and crudeness) are meant to closely resemble the Eagle 1 filming miniature.
26031625084_f004ec92b4_c.jpg

26544211962_977f817c03_c.jpg

Rescue pod given panels lines and heavy weathering.
26571776641_6d19ccca76_c.jpg

Still lots to do. Landing gear is next, and still need to decide how I'm going to finish all the thrusters and engine bells. Also, after looking at my own photos, I see a lot of areas that need touched up, hehehe.

26544213512_3d57b98a08_c.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Looks great

Great job on the paint, you really nailed the look.

Outstanding work! Can't wait to see more

Thanks! Considering how many pros there are on this forum, I appreciate your compliments!

Looking every part the real deal, great weathering and it makes a change to see someone do the medical ship.

Check out the Space 1999 Props & Ships Facebook group. It seems to be the favorite. TONS of rescue Eagles being painted up. The red stripes definitely help break up all the grays and whites.

Not much progress lately on my build. It seems like once I got in the home stretch, life suddenly became very busy.

I did mange to get a coat of paint on the landing gear though. Since I'm mimicking the studio model, the lower parts of the skids just need to look like filthy plastic, while the upper part should appear metal. The surface rust was done with cheap chalk pastels. First time trying something like this, and even though it's not great, it was really easy! The hardest part was getting my kid to let me raid her art supplies.

26263298714_5615cd5c2f_c.jpg

As always, thanks for looking!

Looks very nice but when using restoration pictures as a reference, don't you risk making the model too dirty? After all, look at all the dirt that is in there. Since it's the inside and not visible that dirt wasn't planned but merely an accumulation of dust and other dirt it acquired during its use. The same then must go for its exterior.

On a side note: what were the makers thinking to put rust on the landing gear? 1) It's in space so vacuum so no exposure to corroding gasses. 2) wouldn't the space agency have made those vehicles from non-corroding materials. After all the vehicles are meant for use in an environment where you really can't afford structural weakness.

Fantastic weathering, it really has a unique and realistic look to it.

Looks great! Hey that thing looks like its actually been on the moon!

Thanks!

Looks very nice but when using restoration pictures as a reference, don't you risk making the model too dirty? After all, look at all the dirt that is in there. Since it's the inside and not visible that dirt wasn't planned but merely an accumulation of dust and other dirt it acquired during its use. The same then must go for its exterior.

On a side note: what were the makers thinking to put rust on the landing gear? 1) It's in space so vacuum so no exposure to corroding gasses. 2) wouldn't the space agency have made those vehicles from non-corroding materials. After all the vehicles are meant for use in an environment where you really can't afford structural weakness.

I like the way you think. Don't worry, it's been my goal to keep things making sense (mostly). I've been very careful not to dirty things up too much, and held back a lot on the weathering because too much won't look right (or good). If you see my model in person, overall it appears fairly unremarkable. It's when you look closely at certain areas that you see subtle weathering, paint chipping, dirt leaking out, whatever.

About the rusty landing gear, I'm sure they kept them rust-free during the show. It's only later when the surviving models are changing owners and making appearances that you can see rust forming.

I like the rust look on the landing pads, I think it makes it look more realistic. Entering and reentering planets atmospheres might give them a look like that.

Really enjoying your build especially since I am seriously considering adding this kit to my collection. How did you apply the panel lines? Your paint and weathering are excellent.

Speaking of realism, the Moon's surface is extremely 'dirty'; read about how Nasa learned the hard way just how pervasively 'sticky' moon dust could be... like microscopic versions of a sand-burr. So a heavy coating of gray dust is definitely appropriate. Yeah, 'rust' probably not so much. But it looks cool, Mom! ;^P

R/ Robert

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back