Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

I really like the new neck/throat area. Nice interpretation.

In some of those reference pics, it was looking like a longer flap was hanging down from the mask to connect to the chest area just like what you have here. I'm glad you are going for that look. :)

Nick

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words :)

it looks too heavy on top? will it break? :confused

:lol You'd think so & TBH I am carefull but its actually very sturdy. This is quite heavy ATM with all the clay, once its cast it'll be alot lighter :)

I really like the new neck/throat area. Nice interpretation.

In some of those reference pics, it was looking like a longer flap was hanging down from the mask to connect to the chest area just like what you have here. I'm glad you are going for that look. :)

Nick

Thats what I was looking at. The pics of the suit fresh from the mould show two more vertebrae but there are a couple of ref pics & a pic in the book that show this look. As you say it looks as though they remade the neck with a flap that comes down a few inches between the pauldrons. At what stage they changed the neck I dont know? I've tried a compromise by replacing one of the vertebrae:
481.jpg

What do you think? with or without that top vertebrae?

Last edited:
I dig the top addition. Integrates the chest/pauldron/neck areas together nicely and pays homage to the two different version seen in the reference material.

Smart move yet again.

Nick

Thanks Guy's :)

He's getting close to being ready for moulding :) I've really just got to do some shaping on one pauldron & then its a smooth & texture. When I say close I dont mean tomorrow though :D

I thought I'd take a pic to try & give some idea of his size, since I havent got any cans of pop I used a regular CD case as a guide:
482.jpg

At the moment he's 29.5" high but I'm thinking the base needs to be thicker just as it looks a little flat compared to the rest of him. I'm thinking about adding an inch to the bottom of the base & detailing the visible sides, that'll push him up to 30.5" plus maybe a quarter of an inch with the dome.

Also I'm thinking to texture the underside of his body maybe a hammered metal finish rather than just a rough worked finish :confused

What do you think?

:)

Last edited:
I hate to be the only negative voice here, but personally I prefered the more organic look to this version:

451.jpg

I think it was visually much more appealing.

I'm not a fan of the sharp 'edges' of the revision in this picture...

475.jpg

...where it appears that the spine has been sliced from the torso. For me, it doesn't tie in with the rest of the sculpture where the body has been morphed and adapted to to blend into the base. Having said that, it may just be the low angle of the photo, because it seems to look better in most of the other angles.

Everytime I visit this excellent thread, I worry about the moulding and casting of this piece. I'm not a moulding expert by any means, but I've a little experience in the art, and the challenges and cost of casting this monster frighten me :D Following on from Guilty Gear's comment about the top heaviness of the piece, I was also thinking about the weight in resin after it has been cast. The thin stem and the fact that it leans forward make it a very weak spot to support all that weight (hollow cast or not) and is going to need some reinforcment. The normal way would be to add one or more rigid steel rods to the resin as it cures. If it's done that way, I would also suggest thickening the base beyond the inch you are planning so that the rod can sink at least 2 or 3 inches into it or the weak spot will be where the stem joins the base.

Those are my main worries at the moment (I always worry about moulding and casting while I'm sculpting :) ), but if anyone with more experience of casting big pieces like this could pitch in with their thoughts and ideas, it could save much in time, cost, and tears later.

Leigh, when you show pictures of the full bust, words fail with me to describe how awesome a job you've done in both scale and design. To think this is your first attempt at anything like this is mind boggling.

Last edited:
Thanks guy's :)
Alaneye, the points you've highlighted are very valid & do deserve an explanation.
I have put alot of thought into the design of Bob as a sculpture.
Regarding the weight distribution concern... at present Bob weigh's 36lbs or just over 16kg inc the base. Hes mostly made of a very fragile foam mostly held together with PVA glue & a few wooden sticks, all that weight is transmitted to the base via 2 lengths of ABS waste pipe slipped inside one another & filled with urethane plastic. The majority of the weight is in the clay & the polyester filler I've used.
The head on its own weighs 14lbs or 6.3kg, the weight of the head slightly biases rearward & with the jaw attached is pretty much bang on in the middle.
A little while ago I did a test to confirm my thoughts, I placed the whole thing complete on a wooden rod to find the balance point & the weight is tranfered right through the middle into the base like this:
482+.jpg

Since then A bit more weight has been added towards the rear only.
By its design it does give the impression that if its going to go it'll go forward when in fact its more likely to go backwards.
At this point your probably thinking whats the point of this, its all going to change when he's cast :)

My current plan is to rotocast him in urethane I'll be aiming for 5-6mm or 1/4" wall thickness. Then I want to make a GRP tube with about the same wall thickness, insert it into the stand inside the casting & pour urethane around it to bond it in.
Where it inserts into the base, my plan is to cast the base a similar thickness as the rest, make a thick 6-8mm or 5/16" GRP plate with a hole in it to surround the location hole & then add more urethane to the inside of the base bonding the plate in place & thickening the base at the same time.
I've used some of this urethane on the jaw & on his face & it is alot lighter than I expected. I can guarantee he will weight a fair bit less as a casting than he does now.
I believe I can get the support from a GRP tube that I need for this. GRP in the thickness I've suggested is very strong & much lighter than mild steel even in tube form.

The moulding & casting is something I am concerned about. I have read quite a few threads on the subject, seen a few vids & asked alot questions via pm. I feel nearly confident enough to tackle this but I expect I will seek some more advise as I get to that stage. I'll be taking it a stage at a time ie I'll be focusing all my attention on the moulding stage first & once I have the moulds I'll then move onto the casting.
whilst making the jackets for the moulds I will be considering the casting as in how to mount them to the roto caster. The roto caster is something I'll also have to make, working with steel is something I'm familiar & confident with.

I hope this lot makes sense :)

& thanks for the kind words Alan :)

Last edited:
Your plans sound good and you have obviously been considering all this as you go, which is the best way. The only concern I have is in the base. Urethane is pretty strong, but is still mallable, especially when the weather is warm. This Terminator bust I have is thickly cast, but over time it sinks into the base and I have to warm it with a heat gun and pull it back up (when I can be bothered I'll probably try to put some wooden supports in).

IMG_9182.jpg

So it might be a good idea, if there is a void inside the base, to put some sort of support in there.

Al

Your plans sound good and you have obviously been considering all this as you go, which is the best way. The only concern I have is in the base. Urethane is pretty strong, but is still mallable, especially when the weather is warm. This Terminator bust I have is thickly cast, but over time it sinks into the base and I have to warm it with a heat gun and pull it back up (when I can be bothered I'll probably try to put some wooden supports in).

So it might be a good idea, if there is a void inside the base, to put some sort of support in there.

Al

I had heard that urethane can become brittle in extreme cold but it hadn't crossed my mind that it might go soft in heat.
I have an off cut from the jaw casting, after reading your reply I chucked it in the oven at 80 degrees C for 10 mins to see what happened... it did go a little bit softer but not by much, I could only get a bit of movement in the thinest parts & as soon as it started to cool it went rock hard again. Still I think I'll reinforce his upper body & head with some polyester resin soaked rope as well as the GRP tube.

Edit: or I could just foam fill him.

Thanks for the tip Alan :) (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Last edited:
I'm a fan of foam filling. Even if there are thin areas in the resin, the foam backfilling makes it nice and strong so those areas don't fracture.

Dave :)

Good luck with the molding and casting! It has kicked my but, but I'm learning with each mistake! I'm sure yours will come out perfect! Awesome build

I'm a fan of foam filling. Even if there are thin areas in the resin, the foam backfilling makes it nice and strong so those areas don't fracture.

Dave :)

I was a little unsure about foam filling at first but it does make alot of sense now. I've still got lots of homework to do before I'll be properly confident with the moulding & casting :)

Good luck with the molding and casting! It has kicked my but, but I'm learning with each mistake! I'm sure yours will come out perfect! Awesome build

Sounds like foam filling would be the way forward.

Awesome work mate, this sculpt has been a pleasure to follow so far.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back