Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

I would honestly only be surprised if you weren't. ;)

LOL! Well more to the point I'm not a huge fan of him but I really liked TFA and honestly Star Wars is really director proof as long as the story is good. It's about the characters, I honestly don't feel strongly that the director matters as much as a more niche film.

As I've said elsewhere, I liked TFA because the PT was so sour for me, the re-establishing of the feels was needed. When JJ was announced for TFA I felt like I was in good hands. If Super 8 showed he could recapture 80s Speilberg, then I had no doubt he could do the same for SW. And he did...

But I understand the complaints too. In terms having it FEEL right, I'm fine with him doing this-- but narratively speaking... I want to know who Rey's parents are, I want to know where Snoke came from, I want to know how the Knights of Ren relate to the Jedi and Sith... and I don't want to have to read some EU book to have it answered... and JJ does not like answering questions.

There's also that whole Into Darkness movie that makes me very nervous...

Last edited:
As I've said elsewhere, I liked TFA because the PT was so sour for me, the re-establishing of the feels was needed. When JJ was announced for TFA I felt like I was in good hands. If Super 8 showed he could recaptured 80s Speilberg, then I had no doubt he could capture SW. And he did...

But I understand the complaints too. In terms feeling right, I'm fine with him doing this-- but narratively speaking... I want to know who Rey's parents re, I want to know where Snoke came from, I want to know how the Knights of Ren relate to the Jedi and Sith... and I don't want to have to read some EU book to have it answered... and JJ does not like answering questions.

Sadly, I have but only two thumbs up to give.(y)thumbsup

I wonder if they even considered any other directors or if they went to JJ first and he accepted? I think it would have been interesting to see what someone like Ava DuVernay would do with Star Wars, if she was even interested.

attachment.php

Attachments

• FXXuQUCh4dz59NMYsJGMq9H74oGZ7jH7-zlzAFShIz8.jpg
    FXXuQUCh4dz59NMYsJGMq9H74oGZ7jH7-zlzAFShIz8.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 256
I actually like a lot, if not most, of JJs films, including both Star Trek's. But TFA had such a fan film feel to it - to the point where it slightly soured my opinion of the film - I'm afraid he's going to do it again with this one, and as I've been saying incessantly I don't want more of the same, I want new and different (except creature design: can we please get a few classic aliens from the first 6 films?!?!).

Last edited:

I think Abrams' work is terrible, but hilariously Into Darkness is the only of his movies I've liked at all. (Which seems to be common -- people who like his stuff dislike Into Darkness, while people who don't like his work don't understand how it differs at all from his usual.)

I hated TFA with a burning passion, though, so I am not happy about this news.

So I guess the question now is does Han Solo move to December now too?

I'm okay with JJ, I just hope KK and the LFL story group keeps control of the storyline and keeps us away from too many loose or silly plotlines and wraps this trilogy in a manner that it deserves. TFA worked as an opening act, but JJ can't rest on his laurels to close this saga.

I am cautiously optimistic because I tend to like JJ. I don't want a rehash, and I don't think we'll get one this time other than there will be a redemption story somehow. I bet he would guarantee Luke uses a lightsaber. :)

I liked TFA initially, but it doesn't hold up over time. Just kinda, eh. The Han and Chewie parts are cool. But, it's just ANH rebooted. So, I'm not holding out much hope for 9 to be much better or unique on its own.

I have yet to see into darkness... might just have to see it tonight

Never mind, into darkness is the middle trek film, I haven't seen beyond yet

I am not a trek fan. So I enjoyed I to darkness
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if they even considered any other directors or if they went to JJ first and he accepted? I think it would have been interesting to see what someone like Ava DuVernay would do with Star Wars, if she was even interested.

I wondered about that, too. It seems unlikely that Lucasfilm/Disney would have announced Trevorrow was leaving without having a pretty good idea who was going to replace him, but it would be fun to know which specific directors they thought about.

I still get a kick out of the fact that George Lucas actually entertained the idea of hiring David Lynch for ROTJ. Talk about some crazy gusto.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back