Graflex dimensions

Sorry this might be the wrong place to post this but does anyone know anywhere I could order a replica red working button for the graflex besides parksabers? Or the best site to order graflex parts (glass thumbscrew, clamps & pins) sent to Australia? Parksabers and TCSS seems to ship to Australia at quite high prices. Cheers.

For someone who has a real one or accurate replica... From photoscaling I worked out that the main tube is actually 1-3/8" in diameter, not 1-1/2". Can I get a confirmation of one or the other?

An eighth of an inch isn't that much of a huge deal, but it counts. Ran into this with my Supertrooper Uzi-based autoblaster. Started with a 1-1/2" bit of tubing and it was too big for the front end where the barrel attaches. I did photoscaling of the other Uzi elements, did math, and determined the barrel -- and thus the Graflex -- was smaller than the conventional wisdom (and that template posted above). Based on my math, I got a 1-3/8"-diameter sink drain extension from Ace Hardware, and it fit perfectly.

I only just recently have a Parks Sabers replica on order, as that prop is only of middling priority for me, but in the meantime, this thread has come up. So I thought I'd ask, since that's a major factor in scratchbuilding -- diameter of base tube.

--Jonah

The diameter of a real G R A FL E X tube is 38 mm or 1.5 inch :)

whotkhunt ... put a WTB in the Junkyard section for a red button ;)

Chaim

Last edited by a moderator:
No offense, but photo-scaling is second to actual measurements, and countless people with actual Graflexes say it's 1.5. I have one, and I measured it with the ruler Ihave on my desk-- not exactly digital calipers, but I get 1.5"

Cool, thanks. I know photoscaling is not the most accurate approach in the world, but I was able to come up with pretty consistent results from the other parts of the autoblaster in many photos versus an in-hand Uzi body that I trust my numbers. And yet... *shrug* It's definitely a real Graflex used as the barrel, and not a resin casting, so I know shrinkage isn't a factor. So I have no idea how to reconcile the fact that a 1.5" tube is too big to line up properly on the Uzi. Ah, the joys of the hobby...

--Jonah

Guys, I'm late to the party ... I wonder if the inner diameter of a grafted clamp 38mm (1.5") or more .. It has to be a bit more than the tube's width right ?
Let me know ;)

The way a G R A F L E X clamp works is it has a lever with a screwthread inside the one sidebar, so it can open up a bit wider to slide over the upper and lower body parts if need be ... the diameter however is still 38 mm ... I just measured 2 clamps for you, FolkyPatrol :)

Chaïm

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do a Google search for "Graflex lightsaber blueprint" you should find the ANH and ESB blueprints created by Darth Saber. His stuff has been THE reference for just about all of my OT saber building.

The way a G R A F L E X clamp works is it has a lever with a screwthread inside the one sidebar, so it can open up a bit wider to slide over the upper and lower body parts if need be ... the diameter however is still 38 mm ... I just measured 2 clamps for you, @FolkyPatrol :)

Chaïm

I thought there had to be a (very small) margin between the tube and the clamp. Thanks for the note guys!
I saw the blueprint of Darth Saber, thank you, it is to realize an accurate 3D clamp

3D Graflex Clamp.png

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back