Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
This is the exact kind of thinking that is wrong with fandom. The fans nor the fandom is owed anything. Just because we pay for a ticket doesn't make us the heart of the franchise. We don't own it. It's not our property. From the moment Lucas put pen to paper to the moment he cashed the Mouse's check, George Lucas WAS Star Wars. He was its heart, its soul, its creator, and its judge. Now, as much as you may not like it, LucasFilm the company is the heart. Star Wars is not yours. It's LucasFilm's, and they may do whatever the Hell they want with it. THEY decide what is and isn't Star Wars. Not you. Not me. Them. Just because they decided to move on to the 21st century, while you stay in the 20th is not their fault. It's yours.

The fandom is owed everything, without the fans there would be no Star Wars. Disney can do whatever the hell they want with the franchise they paid for however without the support of the core audience it will do them little good.

You can't do what Kathleen Kennedy and other employees at LFL have done and simply say that the people that supported your franchise for all these years are simply no longer the people you make these movies for.

I'm not stuck in the 20th century and i don't want new Star Wars movies that are exactly like the old ones, i want fresh new ideas with interesting characters that exist to serve the story and are not simply there to fill some diversity quota or because of certain present day political narratives. The Star Wars universe is endless in possibility and the only thing they can come up with are terrible remakes of the original trilogy.

The problem i have is that Disney is not making new additions to the Star Wars universe, they are simply altering the universe that George created with no regard for the past 35 years of fandom. That's why what we needed were new movies with new characters for a new audience/generation, without messing with the already established characters.

This is the exact kind of thinking that is wrong with fandom. The fans nor the fandom is owed anything. Just because we pay for a ticket doesn't make us the heart of the franchise. We don't own it. It's not our property. From the moment Lucas put pen to paper to the moment he cashed the Mouse's check, George Lucas WAS Star Wars. He was its heart, its soul, its creator, and its judge. Now, as much as you may not like it, LucasFilm the company is the heart. Star Wars is not yours. It's LucasFilm's, and they may do whatever the Hell they want with it. THEY decide what is and isn't Star Wars. Not you. Not me. Them. Just because they decided to move on to the 21st century, while you stay in the 20th is not their fault. It's yours.
The only thing that fans are owed is a good movie.

And that is not happening. They are literally shoveling out unimaginitive garbage.

Here's the only thing I ask: write the trilogy before you start pumping them out. That's pretty basic, isn't it? Am I owed that? These things make billions of dollars and if they want to keep making them, then they better get good at it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The fandom is owed everything, without the fans there would be no Star Wars. Disney can do whatever the hell they want with the franchise they paid for however without the support of the core audience it will do them little good.

You can't do what Kathleen Kennedy and other employees at LFL have done and simply say that the people that supported your franchise for all these years are simply no longer the people you make these movies for.

I'm not stuck in the 20th century and i don't want new Star Wars movies that are exactly like the old ones, i want fresh new ideas with interesting characters that exist to serve the story and are not simply there to fill some diversity quota or because of certain present day political narratives. The Star Wars universe is endless in possibility and the only thing they can come up with are terrible remakes of the original trilogy.

The problem i have is that Disney is not making new additions to the Star Wars universe, they are simply altering the universe that George created with no regard for the past 35 years of fandom. That's why what we needed were new movies with new characters for a new audience/generation, without messing with the already established characters.
No, without George Lucas there'd be no Star Wars. He wanted to tell a story, that was first and foremost. Money was only good to him for telling the rest of the story he told. To Lucas, everything was his, and we should only be so lucky as to enjoy a piece of it for the price of an admission ticket. LFL under Kennedy has no allegiance to fans, and neither did George. Neither of them see the fans as a necessity. And if you ever thought different, then you've been kidding yourself. George never made SW movies for us. Ever. He made them for himself.

The only thing that fans are owed is a good movie.

And that is not happening. They are literally shoveling out unimaginitive garbage.

Here's the only thing I ask: write the trilogy before you start pumping them out. That's pretty basic, isn't it? Am I owed that? These things make billions of dollars and if they want to keep making them, then they better get good at it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Why? Because we pay an admission ticket? Please, we didn't make the movie. We didn't finance it, we didn't do anything to make SW. Remember who pays whom. We're the audience. Just because you and I like the movie a little bit more than the average Joe doesn't mean we're entitled to anything out of it.

If I owe them my money to see their movie, then they owe me a good movie to get my money.
Mmmmmnope! Sorry, not how it works.

I feel like I'm in a weird group that appreciates the so called "SJW" elements like diversity in casting but hated TLJ and was lukewarm about Solo. I really like Rogue One flaws and all, and TFA was good enough for me that I was willing to give it a pass thinking "if the sequel can follow up in a more original way then this movie will be justified" and that just didn't happen.

I'm also in that much maligned millennial demographic and would likely have a low "SWIQ", but I just want Disney to tell a good story to wrap their representation in it if that's what is important to them.

They don't owe me anything, but if they want my money, they'd better make a movie that I'm willing to pay to see. And right now, they're not. Judging from the failure of Solo, they're not appealing to anyone.

This is old news,...but I thought I'd reiterate it.

Do a search for the WORST episode of Breaking Bad

You will find "Fly"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_(Breaking_Bad)

"Fly" has been described as "arguably the most polarizing episode in Breaking Bad history", differing from most others in its slow pacing and relative lack of action. A few critics have considered it to be one of the greatest episodes of the series.

Directed by Rian Johnson

Theres a surprise

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Where do you think they get the money to finance these movies? The fans. Guess who the majority of Star Wars fans are? Not millennials or little kids. The majority of fans are people who grew up with it so yes they should AT LEAST consider them when making these. They should try and bring in new fans as well but by discounting the ones who were there from the beginning is a huge financial mistake.

If you make a bad product and are rude to your customers then they will not buy from you anymore.

Think whatever you want about the new films but insulting fellow fans by telling them that they are stuck in the previous century is the very same logic that Lucasfilm has been using to excuse their poor creative and business decisions.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back