TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

I think we understood what you meant. :) A cap head screw is D and it was obviously not that in any photo.

yeah i didnt want to confuse people even more :wacko "whats that crazy halliwax saying now? he thinks they used sheet rock screws to hold the grips?! yeah he's nuts"

I let this debate follow logic. In ESB the grips were coming off in the cold. The fastest way to fix on set would be self driving screws. They don't have time to waste.

Everyone assumed rivets for so long, maybe due to the tech journal, that it's what most everyone did, the TFA prop people included. So they used rivets.

Prop shop can say they were doing a faithful version, but torx looks cooler than rivets up close.

The launch bay repros clearly show signs of being assembled incorrectly and are going to get handled a lot, so the hex heads make sense if you imagine it's going to require upkeep and maintenance.

That's what makes sense in my head.

Last edited:
Lots of great info here but after 126 pages all I can wonder is why do the 2 known hero versions have different grip lengths? LOL, it bothers me to no end and I actually like the shorter grips! I wonder if the same props will be reused for EP VIII or if we will end up with another variation.

I wonder if the EP8 saber is the same as the EP 7 saber.

00505525860179-vi.png

Well unlike the time from ANH to Empire when Luke had this saber we know they still have the TFA props available to use in this case not to mention there is a lot more documentation on them. I am sure there will be variations but I would expect at least one of the hero sabers from TFA to return. I am also looking forward to seeing Luke's green saber return and what they do with that as the few pics of the one made for TFA aren't very clear. Right now I am just trying to decide if I want to do long or short grips for mine. :D

Ugggh.
Frustrating to know this prop exists somewhere, and yet yhere are only a few pics available.
Its not as though this is a prop from a 40 year old movie that was most likely misplaced or lost somewhere.

i see a double pumped rivet with the blue arrow. what i mean by this is the rivet not snapping off with the first pump and you having to take a second bite at it. pulling the rivet pin too heigh, exposing the pin

you can also say the blue arrow is the tamper proof center of the screw. but i dont believe it is because the red arrow, not only shows a deep black hole (from a single pump rivet) BUT it also has a nice crisp black circle shadow, if it was a hex head or star head tamper proof screw i dont think we would see such a crisp outline of a circle

again, i have no proof this is all based on just my judgement, and what im going by. i truly believe if we didnt have the launch bay pictures, we would have never thought of these tamper proof screws.. i think we cant confuse what we see with the "placebo effected tamper proof" screws
http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y323/lightningdan/rivets.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...A-9F3D-4A19-9870-4A40F1691AC1_zps4hi7fgqw.jpg

I agree, that photo is very compelling for the rivet argument...but then a photo like this pops up -

E2932F48-D8D1-44E1-BBA4-90FC94F0089F_zpsfyym9x9b.png

I agree, that photo is very compelling for the rivet argument...but then a photo like this pops up -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...8-D8D1-44E1-BBA4-90FC94F0089F_zpsfyym9x9b.jpg

Which is super frustrating, because the inner shadow of the... rivetscrew... makes me think it's a hex button screw. BUT, the low profile makes me think it's a rivet. That is, unless they ground the screws down, causing them to have a flatter head.. But then that makes no sense. But looking at the rivetscrews on the top/bottom definitely makes it seem like they have a flat, low profile head.

This is my take on the Rey saber and it's the same as the ESB Luke saber.

We know they used rivets on the d-ring, we have clear evidence of that. This means when they were building the saber they had rivets, a rivet gun, and tools to drill.

Why would they use rivets in the d-ring, but then use screws in the grips? It doesn't make sense.

I can see where maybe the original ESB saber had rivets in the d-ring and ANH style grips that were falling off in the snow and the grips were replaced and they used screws at first. But we have photos of other bladed stunt Graflex sabers from after the production with rivets on the clamp so I feel rivets were the preferred method.

Plus, when doing research the only Graflex saber with screws is the SWR, every other saber available (prop replicas and photos) most likely had rivets as that's what everyone else uses. I would think with the rivets in the d-ring and the available reverence they would have just used rivets.

Plus the Launch Bay sabers use screws, the 'right type' of screws, and it doesn't look like the screen used fasteners from screen shots of the saber.

Quick a question for you guys-

Ive got some TFA Roy grips on the way and i noticed that I may have a possible problem when attaching the rivets.

I have a rivet gun that has 3 different tips for different sized rivets...it seems that these tips may br too large to fit into the girp spacing for the rivets.

Have any of you had a problem with this before?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back