Destiny <> Strange Coin

Jintosh

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
coin pic 2.jpg

I saw Adkos' Strange coin and made my own version that is brass compatible from Shapeways.
Turns out they want way too much in brass, so I ordered in Ultra Detail.

I'll do the paint and center piece when I get the coin.

Last edited:
Re: Destiny -------------- Strange Coin

Great idea getting it printed in brass.

Model looks good. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Re: Destiny -------------- Strange Coin

Yeah, the metals are not cheap. Perhaps you could split it into halves, hollow them out to the minimum thickness, have them printed in the cheapest metal (steel?) and then assemble, finish and plate them?

I'll get a prototype and paint it to my liking. And then run an interest thread to see if anyone wants it in brass. I have a guy that can cast it much cheaper in brass from a prototype if there's much interest.

Last edited:
Re: Destiny ---- Strange Coin

Sorta related, i'm thinking about making one that actually has a little phone vibrator in it so it lightly vibrates as per the description in the game (I would print it in some sort of metal based filament so I can buff it like metal) and glow in the dark paint for the win! XD Also it would turn on once it's in your hand (kinda how those weird bath duckies turn their lights on once they hit water....not that I have any of those...)

Sorta related, i'm thinking about making one that actually has a little phone vibrator in it so it lightly vibrates as per the description in the game (I would print it in some sort of metal based filament so I can buff it like metal) and glow in the dark paint for the win! XD Also it would turn on once it's in your hand (kinda how those weird bath duckies turn their lights on once they hit water....not that I have any of those...)

Wow ! That would be awesome. I'll be watching for your thread if you can pull it off.

Last edited:
IMG_1089.JPG

Almost a year later, I finally came back to this project.

This is printed in Brass from Shapeways. I aged the brass somewhat....as it was pretty shiny. The rings are a bright green nail polish. The center crystal is lime green and metal backed to reflect the light.

That looks great, and must feel really satisfying, it being metal. I've never had anything printed in metal. Do you see little print lines?

IMG_1087.JPG

Almost forgot the pic of the back.

Yes, metal is very cool. You can feel the heavy weight of this when you hold it. It is 8.1 grams. They POLISH it at Shapeways...so the exposed surfaces get the print lines buffed out for a piece like this. Other than ageing the brass, this is untouched...so you can see no print lines are visible. Recessed areas would not get polished.

That looks great, and must feel really satisfying, it being metal. I've never had anything printed in metal. Do you see little print lines?

That looks great!

Good lord, that looks amazing!

Thanks guys. :$

This did turn out well. I especially like the center crystal. Even when you look at it in the bright light, it LOOKS like it is being lit by a LED. It has that electronic glow to it.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back