The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

That's true those are good for everything but the underside. I have the same issue with Red Jammer right now. Some fantastic people took plenty of shots of it at Identities, but they hardly got in focus shots of the underside. There are just so many starting points to choose from haha

I had intended to start a parts map but to be honest, don't really have the time. If someone else were to start one that would be great! I would recommend doing so in a new thread, it'll be easier to find, both now and in the future.
Would definately start a new thread and not pollute yours.

The photos of Alan Ladd's Y Wing are a good starting point as they are high res and in-focus(!). there just aren't any shots of the underside.
My thoughts exactly.

Re: The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project

I've always felt the Y Wing was just screaming out to be a two seater. In the spirit of the great Fighter/Bombers like the A-6 Intruder.
Good point. The thing I never understood is what the Y wings were going to accomplish on the Death Star as they were clearly considered either bombers or a better gun platform than an X-wing, which came along for top cover.
But the Y wings, in the end, were horribly underutilized in any of the original SW movies. You never saw them much after Ep4, and even then they became sitting ducks and nothing else.
It'd be great if the new Rogue One movie uses them as they have been crying out for representation since then...

Was also wondering if there is any good reference for the belly of Red Jammer anyone feels like sharing. I have found Star Wars Identities posts that provide great reference of most of this ship except the underside. I'm hoping to create some full parts maps for this that I would like to share for all. Been gathering lots of kit scans from here and Resin Illuminati. I can't get an account on studio scale modellers :( Been slow but steady reading threads and matching parts to discussions from here!

Don't remember where I got them but here ya go

1003452_427316957378281_1438399878_n.jpgY-wing15.jpgY-wing17.jpgredJammer.jpg

Re: The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project

Good point. The thing I never understood is what the Y wings were going to accomplish on the Death Star as they were clearly considered either bombers or a better gun platform than an X-wing, which came along for top cover.
But the Y wings, in the end, were horribly underutilized in any of the original SW movies. You never saw them much after Ep4, and even then they became sitting ducks and nothing else..

I thought they were bombers and thus more accurate than X-wing's but were also slower, and so were easy pickings for Vader and the much faster TIE FIghters. Remember Luke decides to go in even faster than Red Leader's group prompting Biggs to ask if he could still hit the target at that speed "Just like Beggars Canyon back home".

Oh and forgive me if this has been discussed before but the Y in front of the Tie, I've seen described as the Tiger Sprocket Y, but the markings on the cockpit obviously doesn't match the recent pics however the cockpit behind the Tie does, so where is the cockpit in front of the TIE from?
SW_ANH-YWing2.jpgswi-142-pg20.jpg

edit: oh never mind that's the MOM one...but wonder where the body of tiger sprocket was when they took theses pics?

179898_427316190711691_757560119_n.jpg

Last edited:
And I think I read it was a screen used model, but it seems to be described as a special one. Is it some sort of combination of broken models from the film and was built afterward? Or is it not screen used and was created specifically to tour around? Just curious where this version of the Y is from.

I think it´s special in that it is the only original ANH gold Y left at the archives, with TIE killer and Tiger sprocket in private hands and Triangles blown up. It´s the one furthest from the camera in the table shot in post 286, so it was not asembled from bits of other Ys.
I don´t know if and where it appears in ANH, but it´s shown at the end of ESB overtaking the medical frigate.

I think it´s special in that it is the only original ANH gold Y left at the archives, with TIE killer and Tiger sprocket in private hands and Triangles blown up. It´s the one furthest from the camera in the table shot in post 286, so it was not asembled from bits of other Ys.
I don´t know if and where it appears in ANH, but it´s shown at the end of ESB overtaking the medical frigate.

I believe the archives still has the ownership for three Y-wings, two screen used. The odd one is the Bill George built Y-wing used in Jedi. Pretty on it's own but different from the rest. There is also the Red Jammer, touring (whereabouts unknown at the moment, it was supposed to be on the "Identities" tour but it wasn't present in Paris a couple of years ago. Rumor says it was dropped during construction of the exhibition. Back at a repair shop in the archives?). Then there is the MoM tour Y-wing.

Maybe there is still an odd pyro left in the corner somewhere. :D

And one more reference photo of the Tiger, a bottom shot. It's from the Starlog Technical journal:

I believe the archives still has the ownership for three Y-wings, two screen used. The odd one is the Bill George built Y-wing used in Jedi. Pretty on it's own but different from the rest. There is also the Red Jammer, touring (whereabouts unknown at the moment, it was supposed to be on the "Identities" tour but it wasn't present in Paris a couple of years ago. Rumor says it was dropped during construction of the exhibition. Back at a repair shop in the archives?). Then there is the MoM tour Y-wing.

Yes, but neither the Jammer nor Bill George Y are original ANH gold Ys as I wrote, so the MoM Y is the only one left.

I visited the Identities tour in Vienna last month and the Jammer is still missing. :(

44a89b5d08c1b54287a1aff412bfb81c.jpg

So everything arrived in good order. Thanks!

Test fitting now. I will rework the acrylic and skin it with styrene as a base. Same goes for the alu tube which will be replaced with a styrene tube with a brass tube inside.

I agree that cladding the acrylic with styrene to bring it closer to 1/4" would be nice. It's a PITA that 1/4" acrylic is no longer anywhere near 1/4" thick. The manufacturer specifies +/- 10% but it is never + 10%. And now, I notice the label on the sheet calls it .238" thick, which means that -10% can make it only .214" thick! If you do clad the acrylic I would only do it on the top, not the top and bottom.

As to the Aluminum tube. I would recommend just staying with that as is since it adds structural strength as a wing "spar". Sand it first and you should have no trouble getting glue and paint to stick to it. I would recommend epoxying it into the nacelle cores (plex or acrylic) when you do the final assembly. It'll be really rigid.

From an authenticity stand point there are photos where you can see the paint scraped off the round tube on the original models and it's a silvery color underneath.

Oh, the bolts holding the mounting block to the acrylic need to come up from the bottom with the nuts on top. Otherwise the 3D printed shells may not fit correctly.
Your nacelle cores look great!

I got the armature a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for the extra blo pops Dave!

I have a question: I got the fuselage parts made in the material recommended from Shapeways. I'm having a heck of a time trying to sand out the layering grooves from the pieces. The problem is that they just don't seem to respond to sanding well. I'm thinking that filling primer might be needed, because sanding that would be easier. Any tips you guys can give?!

I mean, I can sand it with 220 grit wet/dry and it has nearly no effect.

I got the armature a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for the extra blo pops Dave!

I have a question: I got the fuselage parts made in the material recommended from Shapeways. I'm having a heck of a time trying to sand out the layering grooves from the pieces. The problem is that they just don't seem to respond to sanding well. I'm thinking that filling primer might be needed, because sanding that would be easier. Any tips you guys can give?!

I mean, I can sand it with 220 grit wet/dry and it has nearly no effect.

Look back at page 8 and 9. Dave even includes a picture of his favorite primer for doing this. I'm in the same boat just about to use the primer. The Shapeways material does not sand.

Yes! I mean No! Whether you print the shells yourself with a FDM machine or get shapeways to print them in White Strong and Flexible. Make the surface flat using a Filler Primer like the Rustoleum. The nice thing is that the majority of the surface gets covered with kit parts so is doesn't have to be perfect.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back