Studio Scale (:p) AT-AT

Matt liked this post :thumbsup
Trying to contain my giddiness but it's not working out so well.
That looks so perfect now, can't believe how fast you were able to do do the mods!
Excellent as always, but then what can we expect from scratchmaster J, aka the French phenom.

Thank you guys, nothing is perfect, but it's close enough I think !

My gosh that's awesome! When you say master, does that mean you're kitting it? I may have missed something posted earlier. Or group build? Just curious...

Scott, I've already made 2 molds of the head (before mods)

atatbody13.jpg

And Im going to remold the modified master and the body as well. Those are for the group working on the AT-AT (Matt, Quincy, Felix and I).
Once everyone in our group has the pulls he wants (some may want 2 or more :)) I'll see if the molds are still in good shape to sell a few to the ones interested. Keep in mind the orignal castings were awful (one of them even had a broken hull edge before it was painted and was on screen as the "hero" model in some sequence with the broken hull in close up :)).

This head is extremely beautiful and extra crisp :cool C' est pas juste, j' abandonne le modélisme (not fair, I'm abandoning model-making);)

Great work, this is coming together really well. As soon as I've finished my current build I'm going to start on the walking Revell I've been planning. It is going to take ages, but I think I've settled on a design which could work :)

Thank you :)

Some more progress.

The mold of the body is done (well mostly need to redo something on the inner mold :)).

Outer mold :

Outer shell :

Outer mold in outer shell :

I'm very happy, only a very few airbubbles were I expected they would be (they are at the same spots on the original models), I think I'll discover more air bubbles (converted into resin bubbles :p) in the castings, but nothing major.

Julien, I'm curious, are you gonna hand roto/slush cast this?

I've only ever done flat mold until now .. so I'm kinda clueless! :)

Ah .. completely missed that!! Blame it on my untrained eyes!
Thanks Joe and Julien!

I'd really need to learn how to do this, if not only to save on resin on my own casts! Is that a simple 2 parts mold that I can look up on youtube?

Judging by the 4 holes it looks like J-Man might have an inner mold. Good for replicating the exact thickness of the part.

Joe

Joe is right :)

The 4 holes are for the inner mold to get the right thickness and the inner details ! :)

Al,
I actually have a little tutorial I put together for a friend. I can send it to you if you like. It doesn't cover every single type of mold pattern but it covers the 3-4 basic two-part molds.

Joe

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back