Veektohr's Half-builds & The Occasional Finished One - Zombie MGCs

Re: Veektohr's Flash-Bashes and Blasters (Denix Lock Frame Insert)

I actually played with sketch-up this week to try and cook up a shroud. I've been craving some shroud action but everything out there is either the Vader shroud, (which everyone makes), the shorter heiland one, (which I have), and a bunch of cosplayer/gamer uber-shrouds on shapeways that don't jive with my OT aesthetic.

I decided that since I don't have a metal shop, I'll bend my rules a little and try some 3D printed parts. Seeing the grips and extension Anubis made for his minicam custom sold me. So I hit sketchup. It was harder than I thought. I've been working with graphics programs for 20 years, but getting 3D to work right, with the tolerances needed for 3D printing... let's just say it took me a week to make a cylinder with just enough detail to make me happy. We'll see how it comes out.

Speaking of my shroud envy-- what brand IS that one you posted above-- the short chubby one? I love it!

Veektohr's Flash-Bashes and Blasters (Denix Lock Frame Insert)

I actually played with sketch-up this week to try and cook up a shroud. I've been craving some shroud action but everything out there is either the Vader shroud, (which everyone makes), the shorter heiland one, (which I have), and a bunch of cosplayer/gamer uber-shrouds on shapeways that don't jive with my OT aesthetic.

I decided that since I don't have a metal shop, I'll bend my rules a little and try some 3D printed parts. Seeing the grips and extension Anubis made for his minicam custom sold me. So I hit sketchup. It was harder than I thought. I've been working with graphics programs for 20 years, but getting 3D to work right, with the tolerances needed for 3D printing... let's just say it took me a week to make a cylinder with just enough detail to make me happy. We'll see how it comes out.

Speaking of my shroud envy-- what brand IS that one you posted above-- the short chubby one? I love it!

Sketch-up is a little obtuse. I tried it and when I saw it didn't even have a spline function, I bailed.

So far Fusion has been pretty intuitive; I'd give it a whirl.

That shroud is from a Minicam variant that I saw while trawling the bay one day. I have two now [emoji41][emoji41]. They're gonna have to go on some ugly brutes for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SethS

Sketchup = :sick :lol

You should try Fusion 360 or Blender. For something like a lightsaber shroud I would recommend Fusion, it's easier to set dimensions with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Is Fusion free, and will it make me murder my family? Cause apparently that's all Sketchup does for me.

- - - Updated - - -

That shroud is from a Minicam variant that I saw while trawling the bay one day. I have two now [emoji41][emoji41]. They're gonna have to go on some ugly brutes for sure.

i shall keep my eyes peeled. The only minicams I ever see are literally mini, like the one I already have.

Still sick AF so progress is slow. Committed to this path, though, and ground the safety off the Denix today.

MtERQCH.jpg SdJFR7k.jpg

Started up a new model for the lock-frame. End goal is to model & machine the lock-frame itself, a new working safety, and a new better looking hammer that works with it. Ideally the safety will work on an MGC too, because those safeties look terrible and could use replacing. Gonna learn a lot with this one. New curse words, for sure. Hopefully some machining, too.
p9A687i.jpg

Your builds look awesome!

Btw I live in NYC too... where is this mythical store in rochester that sells pristine graflexs?

Your builds look awesome!

Btw I live in NYC too... where is this mythical store in rochester that sells pristine graflexs?

Thanks Poly :)

They weren't found in any shop, but rather my old roommate ingratiated himself to some elderly camera collectors. There was a small amount of subterfuge involved. When the factory closed people simply bought out the stock so there are still a lot in great condition floating out there in the tri-state area.

When comparing to the real thing, keep in mind that the back of the Denix that you are modelling has a bit odd shape compared to the real thing. If you lay it next to your MGC you will see how.

BTW, if you are building Han's ANH blaster than you might want to keep as much thickness for the threaded rod as is possible. Zamak is a bit soft, you know ...

Okay well next time your buddy shakes the tree can you think of me when he finds and extra extra one? ;)

Thanks Poly :)

They weren't found in any shop, but rather my old roommate ingratiated himself to some elderly camera collectors. There was a small amount of subterfuge involved. When the factory closed people simply bought out the stock so there are still a lot in great condition floating out there in the tri-state area.

Yeah all the shapes are off from a real Mauser. The model I'm working on right now, I built from referencing my actual Denix. No doubt it will require some fitting at the end no matter what happens. I'm really only referencing how the safety functions in the MGC. It's so simple that I think I can carry the design over wholesale. The hammer spring on the denix would get in the way as-is, but I figure since I'm going to make a new hammer anyway, I can make it so the spring sits in the opposite side so that the left is freed up for the safety mechanism. It makes sense in my head at least :wacko:confused

When comparing to the real thing, keep in mind that the back of the Denix that you are modelling has a bit odd shape compared to the real thing. If you lay it next to your MGC you will see how.

BTW, if you are building Han's ANH blaster than you might want to keep as much thickness for the threaded rod as is possible. Zamak is a bit soft, you know ...

Veektohr's Flash-Bashes and Blasters (Denix Lock Frame Insert)

I had a print made of the first model I made. This was the one I made for funsies with zero reference on hand. It's obviously wrong in many ways, but by gum I think this idea is going to work. Gotta get the new version done and prototyped now :)

0e5ebbdbaf96483ddac0568f65058c5c.jpg

One more with a real C96 hammer.

e42d6e3a069f82f421da07d5ad11d82d.jpg

Last edited:

What 3D printer do you have? I've been thinking about getting one forever-- even before I got back into saber-smithing.

What 3D printer do you have? I've been thinking about getting one forever-- even before I got back into saber-smithing.

Oh I just use Shapeways : / It would be cool to have one, but I'm not convinced I'd use it enough to justify the expense...

I just put a big order in to them as a proof of concept. I really want to use my 2-cells to make something and 3D printing could save them. I got a couple fan-shrouds, one I made in sketch-up ( I know, it's terrible) as well as the neck Anubis made for his minicam. Anxious to see how they go.

The 3D printed Graflex clamp I got looks decent from a distance after you sand and paint it. Just doesn't have any weight to it of course.

Yeah this was my first order through them. I think it's gonna work out great for prototyping this project. I'm going to have the final bits machined, though. I crave heft in my props...

I just put a big order in to them as a proof of concept. I really want to use my 2-cells to make something and 3D printing could save them. I got a couple fan-shrouds, one I made in sketch-up ( I know, it's terrible) as well as the neck Anubis made for his minicam. Anxious to see how they go.

The 3D printed Graflex clamp I got looks decent from a distance after you sand and paint it. Just doesn't have any weight to it of course.

Modeled the hammer tonight. On one side the cutouts are present to allow use of the original Denix hammer spring. On the other, it's set up to accept a safety. I'm gonna try and finish modeling everything, and get a full 3D printed prototype by the end of next week. Then I guess I'll have to hollow out the Denix... :)

X1GF0xI.png

This is a great idea ... looking forward to seeing how the prototype fits!

It seems that on a real Mauser the finish of that part doesn't quite match the rest of the frame, so you won't have to worry about trying to match the finish on the Denix if you are going the Aluminum Black or Super Blue route. Pretty cool!

http://cmrfirearms.com/images/Mauser Broomhandle Conehammer Pistol 3b.jpg

This is a great idea ... looking forward to seeing how the prototype fits!

It seems that on a real Mauser the finish of that part doesn't quite match the rest of the frame, so you won't have to worry about trying to match the finish on the Denix if you are going the Aluminum Black or Super Blue route. Pretty cool!

http://cmrfirearms.com/images/Mauser Broomhandle Conehammer Pistol 3b.jpg

Yeah that's exactly what I'm going after! I finished up the three main parts and ordered them from Shapeways. I'm thinking I'll have to do another round of adjustments after that, but once it works it should be super cool.

CK59v69.png

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back