"Factory" DL-44?

NorthernIndie

Jr Member
We all know Han probably made some 'special modifications' to his DL-44, as do many scallywags of the galaxy apparently. Which lends an in-universe explanation to the many variations of the weapon.

Solo: A Star Wars Story
added a another layer to the mythos of the blaster, by showing that it is part of a modular weapon system, and can be converted into a rifle. Which also explains its unrivaled power as a pistol.

But to the point of the post, I was curious if anyone ever endeavored to try making a "factory version" of the iconic piece.

I figure it would be similar to its appearance in Solo, but who knows, maybe Beckett changed it a bit himself, too.

When I watched Solo on opening day, my first though was "who will be the first to tackle this" when I saw Beckett break down the gun and give it to Han.

I've not seen the movie since, though I will pick up the Blu-ray so I can inspect this blaster a bit more in depth.

I wonder if they decided to go with this prop after the modular A-280 Cassian had in R1.

I suppose this would also lend the question of "Any of your own modifications on one?"

That is to say, if you were a Star Wars scoundrel/Rebel with one, how would YOU modify it?

I've always thought the factory version looked a lot like the Mer Son Power 5. The Mer Son is supposed to be a direct copy of the Dl-44, and since the empire doesn't really modify their blasters, the factory DL-44 would have the heat grill, the flash hider, and the antenna greebles. Han / Becket would have added the scope and the mystery knob, which in my mind would be the "power amplifier" or something.

I suppose this would also lend the question of "Any of your own modifications on one?"

That is to say, if you were a Star Wars scoundrel/Rebel with one, how would YOU modify it?

I've got a ripped apart airsoft mauser that I'm planning to work up like a modified DL-44. Give it a bull barrel along the lines of the thing Jyn carries in R1. kind of like a DL-44 that's given up being powerful at long range, for being utterly destructive, almost disruptor level power, at close range.

I'm hoping one of the creative geniuses here will make a run of the modular weapons system for the AW Custom after the SOLO DVD is released so we can accurately recreate the full Beckett version. :)

My custom Broomhandle DL-44 doesn't have the scope mount (it's a plastic frame airsoft, didn't trust it to hold the threads), with a custom bull barrel and slim flash hider. The front grill is my own design, and I added a few other mystery greeblies.

I really need to do a photo shoot for all my props.

I always thought it'd be kind of fun to do one painted white and orange and then weathered. A nice little tribute to the Rubies blaster that's been a staple over the years.

My custom Broomhandle DL-44 doesn't have the scope mount (it's a plastic frame airsoft, didn't trust it to hold the threads), with a custom bull barrel and slim flash hider. The front grill is my own design, and I added a few other mystery greeblies.

I really need to do a photo shoot for all my props.

Yeah, I'd love to see pics of the "Kovnyn" DL-44.

The broom handle mauser has that slot it the back of the handle for attaching a stock. The stock also functioned as a holster. Do we have an pics of it to compare to? They may have used that stock.

I'm using the stock's mounting hardware, but on a custom stock. Here's what we've got currently:

solo-db-dg-29-blaster-main-image_f4e604c0.jpegtopps-trading-cards-countdown-to-solo-a-star-wars-story-no-4-beckett-and-val-in-the-trenches.jpgCountdownToSolo_6_COVER.jpg

None of these show it clearly, but it definitely doesn't have the standard C96 holster-stock, nor is it derived from. Same very-general outline, but that's about it.

I'm curious about the screengrabs too - arent there a few different versions out there (on screen and marketing)?

also, that doesn't look like the hensoldt scope there!

I don't know enough about the scopes to comment (my interest has been in the Merr-Sonn version for ages), but near as I know there's only the concept art and the movie prop, as far as versions of the weapon.

Found another pic of the carbine. Here are the original and somewhat brightened versions. Lots of "mystery disc" knobs all of the the thing!
91lHZa+1NmL.jpg

dl-44_carbine.jpg

When I watched Solo on opening day, my first though was "who will be the first to tackle this" when I saw Beckett break down the gun and give it to Han.

I've not seen the movie since, though I will pick up the Blu-ray so I can inspect this blaster a bit more in depth.

I wonder if they decided to go with this prop after the modular A-280 Cassian had in R1.

I wonder if it they made it a sniper because of this

The live-fire C96 used in A New Hope was previously used by Frank Sinatra in The Naked Runner, where it also had a scope mounted to it, although the lower body was replaced. The scope and mount actually used in Star Wars were previously used in Sitting Target, where it was mounted to a Mauser M712 Schnellfeuer machine pistol: the mount in Star Wars was attached to a custom bracket on the right-hand side of the pistol rather than mounting on the left as in Sitting Target.

In other news, I took some closer pics of my Beckett Pop:

DL-44 carbine 01.jpgDL-44 carbine 02.jpg

Surprisingly good detail for something like this. There's even a slight depression along the top line where the loading/ejector port is. If this is anywhere near accurate, the receiver end of the barrel extension looks to maybe fit entirely over (and socket into the end of?) the bull barrel. There's something connecting it to the frame, using the mystery disc knob to secure. The stock definitely looks like a modern tactical version of the old holster stock, going more straight back than angled, and with the main body's lines parallel rather than flared toward the butt. Where the hinged cap is on the original stock looks to be a cushioned or spring-mounted recoil pad on this. The insets on the stock look to have more detailing in the pic of Han holding it on Mimban, but we can't see those details clearly yet. The simpler insets on the Pop seem to be sited more or less correctly, though.

All in all, it's enough for me to have gotten started on my Merr-Sonn version, since I figure there's some wiggle room between manufacturers' designs, given all the differences between the two already. ;) I might even take more inspiration from the concept art than made it into the finished prop...

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back