Custom "Junk" Saber - Finished!

tmax

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I've been wanting to do a custom saber for a while now, especially after following the awesome custom lightsaber thread on here...

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=232669

I even took a wander through the hardware store looking for potential parts for a build, but nothing jumped out at me.

We just flew back to New Zealand for the premier of Broken, the movie I wrote/directed, for 5 weeks. On that note, check out the new poster...

UpFAq4v.jpg

So this morning I'm out for a walk through the rolling countryside and as I glance down into the gutter what do I see but this beauty...

Xc5kLgV.jpg

What the heck?? Seems to be part of an exhaust system. A lot of trucks go up and down this road so something has fallen off I guess. Of course all I see is LIGHTSABER HILT!!!

Was black with soot so gave it a wash...

AJwLYfM.jpg

LxJ30YV.jpg

I8r6Joc.jpg

KD2lzuy.jpg

Next up, a sand to bring out the highlights...

Mau59Ry.jpg

6O95Gup.jpg

jKq1PxW.jpg

5YPYiIU.jpg

apZZNj7.jpg

Loving it so far! Starting collecting bits to add, don't want to over-do it but it needs a bolt or 2.

The big question is length and do I add to it. Right now it's only 19cm long, which is a little short. I mean it feels great in the hand and would totally work as a Yoda type saber, but I'm wondering if I should add some length to it. If I did I would add a grip section as I wouldn't want to mess with the top portion. It looks so good as is! Rumaging around in my brother's shed I found a BMX bike foot peg that would work well as a grip. It's the perfect diameter to add to the saber.

S8yqKgj.jpg

8Ox8fES.jpg

If I use this I'd cut the peg down a bit as its too long. I'd probably cut the hilt above the vented grill section and add the grip there. But then I'd have to loose some of the length of the vented grill as it would make too long a pommel as is. I also found the perfect flashlight to insert into the hilt, so when you turn on the switch (yet to find), it turns on the flashlight in the hilt.

Not sure if that all makes sense to you guys, but hopefully it does as I'd love some feedback on this.

Thoughts??

Last edited:
Re: Custom Saber Gutter Find!

Found bits make the best lightsabers! Looking awesome! Can't wait to see what you make of it?

Nice find!

I would not cut anything. The sections above and below the perforated part reminds me of the Obi-Wan TPM saber, so I suggest that you make the perforated section into the new grip and just add a pommel to the end.
Maybe cut parts of a pipe in a pattern and place over the perforation. Maybe use brass or copper for accent, and tarnish it to fit the rest of the look. Maybe a control box onto that?

I would also suggest adding rubber O-rings to parts where thin metal overhangs like what many prequels sabers have, if only as to make it safer to handle.

Of course add at least one button and/or LED bezel. I would suggest one button on the thick section 7 cm from the top if you don't add a control box.

Maybe LED bezels over those rivets... or just coloured round "jewels" that look like LEDs (from an arts-and-crafts store).

Last edited:

Great feedback thanks guys.

Here's how'd it look with the grip, forgive the iPhone photo-chop! Ha ha.

OvZQQe4.jpg

Obviously the grip section would be weathered to match the rest of the saber. Another plus with adding this section (other than added length) is it would gave me a place to be able to open the saber to replace the batteries for the flashlight. But still open to further input from you guys.

More gutter found parts this morning! Wanted a bolt to go in up the top where there already is part of a hole. Found this bad boy on the road...

EiWRn1n.jpg

Had also thought it could be cool to wrap wire (or thin tubing) around the vented section for an accent. Found some good old number 8 wire in the ditch. Which is kinda funny coz in New Zealand we have this thing about Kiwi ingenuity and how we can fix anything with a piece of number 8 wire. So a nice little nod to my homeland there.

rjty248.jpg

I'd spotted this old spring the other day, but left it. Today I grabbed it as it could be an alternative to the bike peg for the grip. I mean, how cool would it be if the exterior of this thing was all gutter-found items! It's a huge (and heavy) spring with the perfect diameter for a grip...

KQTtvmB.jpg

I'll give it a wash and do another photo-chop to compare.

do you live next to a demolition derby or something? lol

everything looks great. Have you thought about, instead of putting the grip section in the middle of the mesh, sliding it all the way down so have a large portion of mesh above it? it would add some of that "bottom heavy" aesthetic of the graflex saber without. you could even put the activation panel on that, so that it was near the very bottom of the saber, instead of centered. would give it a different look and feel, while still looking like a traditional saber up top.

now.jpg
How the picture you made is

later.jpg
What I'm suggesting

now that I've posted stuff from MS paint, do you feel better about your downright professional iPhone photo edit? :p

From the size of it, It looks like it’s from a motorcycle exhaust, that is looking fantastic, You need to gold plate it with 24 carrot gold, a nice 2lb block of gold should do the trick, when your out walking tomorrow keep your eyes open, you never know !!! With your luck on finding parts you need for your build, you could be gold plating it tomorrow night, what ever gold you have left I could use on mine
;)
congrats with the release of your movie

Envirosabers Inc. proud sponsors of environmental cleanup, anti-dumping legislation in the New Republic Senate, and protecting the Galaxy from litterers since 2018! ;)

Anyone else taking notice of how clean New Zealand's trash is? Those are some great photos of your walkabout finds tmax !

Last edited by a moderator:

i freaking love it! I agree leaving the vented section as the grip and not adding anything over it. Design wise, it seems to balance well with the pommel end and the forward grip, maybe its because it was designed that way

Can't wait to see what you add as a control box or something! look up Leica or Leitz flash brackets. they have this cool trapezoidal box I'd always fantasized of using.

- - - Updated - - -

or add bars and make the vented section into a cage... youve got me thinking!

Ohhh! I can relate to this!

Here's my movie that came out last month:

Leatherface-Poster.jpg

And here's a light fixture I saw today that's totally going to get stolen somewhere around 2 Am tonight...

IMG_5516.jpg

That post came off way more ****** than I expected! I don't want to derail!

Congrats tmax for getting a movie made!

It's an exhaust baffle, probably off of a motorcycle. It really looks good so far.

Ah, that would explain the rowdy motorbike that roars up the road every morning. Ha ha!

- - - Updated - - -

I love using found items and this is looking great so far!

Thanks mate. My first "trash" build and I'm loving it!

- - - Updated - - -

do you live next to a demolition derby or something? lol

everything looks great. Have you thought about, instead of putting the grip section in the middle of the mesh, sliding it all the way down so have a large portion of mesh above it? it would add some of that "bottom heavy" aesthetic of the graflex saber without. you could even put the activation panel on that, so that it was near the very bottom of the saber, instead of centered. would give it a different look and feel, while still looking like a traditional saber up top.

Yeah I did play around with that idea and settled on cutting the mesh portion down the middle. But I like your concept. And your artwork! I've made movie clips with storyboards that look like that! Ha ha.

- - - Updated - - -

From the size of it, It looks like it’s from a motorcycle exhaust, that is looking fantastic, You need to gold plate it with 24 carrot gold, a nice 2lb block of gold should do the trick, when your out walking tomorrow keep your eyes open, you never know !!! With your luck on finding parts you need for your build, you could be gold plating it tomorrow night, what ever gold you have left I could use on mine
;)
congrats with the release of your movie

Ha ha, I didn't even mention all the empty pallet gun gas canisters that I found which I want to use to make a custom steam or diesel punk Blade Runner Blaster! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Envirosabers Inc. proud sponsors of environmental cleanup, anti-dumping legislation in the New Republic Senate, and protecting the Galaxy from litterers since 2018! ;)

Anyone else taking notice of how clean New Zealand's trash is? Those are some great photos of your walkabout finds @tmax !

Ha ha, keeping NZ green, one prop at a time!

- - - Updated - - -

i freaking love it! I agree leaving the vented section as the grip and not adding anything over it. Design wise, it seems to balance well with the pommel end and the forward grip, maybe its because it was designed that way

Can't wait to see what you add as a control box or something! look up Leica or Leitz flash brackets. they have this cool trapezoidal box I'd always fantasized of using.

- - - Updated - - -

or add bars and make the vented section into a cage... youve got me thinking!

Yeah, I do like it as is, but it's a bit short and cutting it open gives me good options for the inner workings.

Bars is a great idea. I plan to try a wire coil wrapped around the vented section. So along similar lines.

- - - Updated - - -

Ohhh! I can relate to this!

Here's my movie that came out last month:

https://www.screamhorrormag.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Leatherface-Poster.jpg

And here's a light fixture I saw today that's totally going to get stolen somewhere around 2 Am tonight...

View attachment 788396

Ah... OMG to both those images!!! Ha ha, congrats mate. Poster looks killer! Pun fully intended.

Last edited:

Ok, so another brutal photo-chop jobby...

aIZFYlp.jpg

Alright, which one does you guys like best?

TyG1YWO.jpg

Alright, which one does you guys like best?
Hey tmax ! I like Strikerkc's suggestion; as I read the perforated tube as a great place for a partial Crystal Chamber Reveal rather than as a grip. After all, you don't necessarily want your hand wrapped around all that exposed engergy and heat.

What I'd do is take the bike footpeg and use 4 sections of the knurled area (you have 4 fingers to wrap around it ;) ), along with the large unknurled area to represent your pommel, and use that as your grip. Then I'd really dirty up the patina to match the exhaust baffle. Use the bolt for a button or adjuster of some sort and maybe a real button/switch if you decide to add electronics to the hilt to make the Crystal Chamber glow. Find a bit of rod to bend into a D-Ring and fasten it through the pommel area so that you can hang it on your belt.

Ta-da! Lightsaber!

That part really cleaned up nice. When I first saw it, it really looked like complete junk, but now I'd say you definitely have the makings of a really cool custom saber. The silver bit definitely looks better than the spring to me.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back