Zvezda 1/2700 Imperial Star Destroyer – WIP

Guns Akimbo

Sr Member
Well, after lots of hemming and hawing,scrutinizing other builds and being inspired by modelers such as Robiwon & Scarecrow Joe, both here and on other modeling boards, I finally broke open the big box that arrived on my doorstep couple of months ago and has been sitting to one side of my stash ever since.

ymBFQuZ.jpg

5L9gtuy.jpg

acdETq5.jpg

I was impressed with the parts packaging. I heard a couple of horror stories about severely warped parts from early buyers, but I lucked out here.

Fsft22r.jpg

Save for my yet-unbuilt 1/350 refit Enterprise, this is one of the largest sci-fi models I've undertaken. This will be an ISD that not a recreation of any one particular ship in any of the movies; I plan on building it out as a star destroyer that left Kuat Driveyards with very subtle differences, and commanded by a non-canon Imperial officer.

Mission statement:

• Full LED lighting, cool white. All engines will be steady on, with no flickering effects.
  • Illumination in the primary and secondary hanger bays, as well as using pre-soldered micro LED's for the accent lighting in the side trenches.
  • Assorted 3D printed parts: all engines, main hanger bay, turret emplacements, aft garbage chute and the sensor globes.
  • I'm going to try and alter the bridge module angle to match that of the studio model. The bridge face will be modified to incorporate the famous “SF” logo,mainly because San Francisco is my home town. ;)
  • Custom stand and base with name plate. Power to the model will be provided by an electrical jack concealed within the hollow rod.
  • Assorted greeblies applied with restraint to the main hull, rear engine bulkhead and trenches.Trenches will remain stock height and not raised. I plan on going about this build by treating parts of the ship as sub-assemblies, so I can concentrate on completing each as a “mini-kit.”

Last edited:
Thanks for the mention, but there are better builds than mine out there. Looking forward to your building. Sounds like you have a solid plan worked out. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Thanks for the mention, but there are better builds than mine out there. Looking forward to your building. Sounds like you have a solid plan worked out. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Thanks, and will do! Beans, I'll need that luck when it comes to drilling all those damn windows lol.

I've decided to kick things off with the main hanger, since it was the first thing that caught my eye back in 1977 when this thing lumbered overhead. I obtained some goodies from Falcon 3D and this includes a more detailed hanger, which has openings for lighting above the scallops, two smaller aft bays and some small ports in the forward corners.

yOqNYXG.jpg

nS2yis2.jpg

3aXikgD.jpg

Stock hanger cut out and removed:

WgO2Qjj.jpg

Parts comparison:

hbsY1Qj.jpg

This has to be ground flush in order to install the aftermarket part (which has its own overlapping surface detail):

XfrXgMm.jpg

Some minor greeblies will be added but I'm thinking on how to light this...leaning towards micro LED's since that would provide more uniform lighting as opposed to a large fiber optic in each scallop. I'll investigate my options. :)

say there...I've seen that link to Falcon 3D before but had never gone there. I'm thinking the hanger is a great piece to have, particularly for the lighting aspect. I went to the site and saw it, 38.00 bucks, seemed kinda stiff but I was going to get it anyway.

I ordered directly from 3D...he's also on this site (forgot his user name though). Well worth it.

More alterations...removed most of the inner walls behind the trench pieces (lower hull shown) so that fiber optics won't get guillotined lol. I left the areas where the parts key into the walls with locating pegs; there is plenty of gluing surface on top of the trench parts for the upper hull.

YOY0Pzv.jpg

X04A8cT.jpg

Gt, do you mean his replacement engine bells? Yeah those were the first things I got, and they are definitely an upgrade compared to the stock pieces. What you may want to consider is using the standard engines for now, affixing them with some temporary adhesive (canopy glue?) and later on if you decide to grab the 3D parts you can swap them out. Just a thought...

nice start, my ISD is still waiting its turn in the line-up. I have the falcon3d engine bells and they were well worth the money compared to the kit parts. subscribed

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back