Polyester resin seems to be shrinking.

pandabarnes

This is a continuation on my thread asking for casting advice which RogueTrooper kindly helped me out with. These parts are being cast for an e-11 blaster build.

I cast my parts, and suddenly found that when fitting the front nozzle into the barrel, the cast part is slighty smaller than the original, enough that it now rattles around in the barrel instead of fitting snugly.

I checked them against eachother, and sure enough it looks like the polyester resin i used has somehow shrunk during the curing process.

I did put a tiny bit of black pigment in there too, because I thought it would help to have a nice dark base colour, but I'll try it without and see what happens.

Anyone else had experience of this?

Thanks.

Polyester always shrinks a bit, and probably your mold too !
Epoxy has a lower shrinkage but is more viscous, and some polyurethane resins even lower, you might give that a try (also less smell :)

Exactly. Polyseter resin is junk. Always use Epoxy.

As with any resin. The more liquid you use. The more shrinkage. You should always try to lay up the parts as dry as possible. They will be stronger and less shrinkage.

I went with smooth-cast 310, happy with the results except the front nozzle which is still a little too small.

I wanted to post back re epoxy because everyone I've tried to source some from has said I can't use it because it's too exothermic?!

Not sure if that's the correct use of the word, but basically everyone keeps telling me it gets too hot for me to use at home this way.

I can prob get away with the front nozzle, but I was curious about epoxy - any thoughts?

Thanks.

I went with smooth-cast 310, happy with the results except the front nozzle which is still a little too small.

I wanted to post back re epoxy because everyone I've tried to source some from has said I can't use it because it's too exothermic?!

Not sure if that's the correct use of the word, but basically everyone keeps telling me it gets too hot for me to use at home this way.

I can prob get away with the front nozzle, but I was curious about epoxy - any thoughts?

Thanks.

Really. i wouldnt do it in the house. but i do mine in the back yard or the garage. its totally ridiculous. yes it does get hot. and can smoke if you mix up a bunch, but if your just doing a layup with fiberglass cloth or matt theres no way its going to get so hot as to start a fire. Ive been doing fiberglass work for over 20 years. as with any chemicals you of course have to be careful. ive mixed a large batch on purpose just to get it to smoke. it goes crazy for about 40 seconds then dies off. not saying to do that. if you need help with this process PM me and i can help you out. because its used everyday no need to be afraid just need to know how to do it correctly.

ThanksIEDBOUNTYHUNTER - so is the glass fibre resin what I need? I actually have some of that already.

I'm only casting tiny parts, the front nozzle on an e-11, so less than 5cm in all directions.

Thanks.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back