Custom MK. III Battle Damaged Iron Man Paintup

Mr Mold Maker

Master Member
Hey guys.. I recently picked up a heavily flawed "C-Grade" casting of a MK. III Iron Man helmet, and figured I'd use it for a super heavily battle damaged look. This was just a "for fun" project and man.. It was fun!

None of the pieces fit together correctly, and the thickness of the Onyx varied from a 1/16th of an inch to about 1/2 thick in places. It took a lot of work to even get it all together.. Once it was close enough, I glued it together and did a quick and dirty fiberglass job.
image.jpegimage.jpeg

These pictures make it look a LOT better than it really was.

Step one was to sand the helmet. I started at about 100 grit to even out the surface.. I then moved onto 220, then 340.. I think. Somewhere around there. I added the battle damage before painting, but if I were to do this again, I'd probably finish the helmet first and then battle damage it.

I then used Bulldog Adhesion promoter to base out the helmet and then I used a filler primer. Once primed I wet sanded with a bit of 400 grit sand paper and I then laid down the base coat.

image.jpeg

The red used was Nissan Merlot Pearl, with a little bit of candy red sprayed on top for variation. I then used a high gloss automotive clear coat over the whole helmet.

I let the helmet dry over night, and then moved onto the gold. I used Alclad IIs Polished Brass. If you haven't tried it, gloss red makes a fantastic undercoat for gold. It gives it a beautiful shine and depth.

I then used a variety of tones and paints to "battle damage" the helmet. Shrapnel for the silver tones, Tim Gore's Bloodline for the rest.

image.jpeg

Hope you guys like it. Should look very cool with my other display pieces! :)

Looks really nice!

one question. How on earth did you get the hands on shrapnel? Every time I go to the imperial site, the order page is missing. I'd love to give it a try sometime.

Well, I'm jealous, it's epic!!
Thanks!!

Looks really nice!

one question. How on earth did you get the hands on shrapnel? Every time I go to the imperial site, the order page is missing. I'd love to give it a try sometime.

Thanks bud.

The short answer is I didn't. I have a good friend who I purchased it off of second hand. How did he get it? No clue.

Their site has never worked to my knowledge. To order you'll want to contact Samuel Perera directly. The only way I know of is through Facebook. Being perfectly honest his customer service isn't exactly up to par and I'm not sure I'd recommend dealing with him unless you'll be working on a large scale.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back