Blade runner 2049 optical viewer

Sounds like PLA which can get soft at 55-60C. PETG gives you 20C more up to 80C before it gets soft. Happened to me before in a food drier that I use to dry paint.
Rustoleum Flexidip black.

Sadly my front plate warped in the sun while curing my last layer of filler primer... just finished a 22hr print to replace it!

Yes PLA. Having made the switch from a makerbot and ABS earlier in the year I'm still learning the ropes of PLA.

Give PETG a try, perfect dimensional accuracy and easy to work with. PLA is easy to print and can be printed much faster compared to other filaments while keeping the quality up. However, I find it too hard and brittle to work with if I have to sand or otherwise modify the print. Also dimensional accuracy often needs a lot of adjustments of temperature according to the geometry of the part. And there is the low transition temperature. ABS stinks and is annoying to print larger parts with but is even more temp resistant up to 100C.

Yes PLA. Having made the switch from a makerbot and ABS earlier in the year I'm still learning the ropes of PLA.

Having watched Adam Savage's excellent one day build on this project, I'm scratching my head what he put in the hole on the front panel referenced here (red arrow)? Thoughts?

View attachment 826617

In the absence of super high-res still shots of this model, I'm just replicating Adam's close as I can.

@asavage If I could be so bold as to ask directly what you used to fill the hole in the front as indicated by the red arrow?

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_20180628_190142.jpg

Started on main part painting. I used a different method of chipping/peeling paint off the casing. Sprayed a coat of metallic pewter over both parts to simulate the colour/finish of a casted aluminium part. Then I applied mustard to the high features where I wanted the paint to be absent from eventually. Sprayed my colour over that and let dry. Then I buffed hte areas where there was mustard underneath the paint with a damp paper towel and voila! Looks very much like worn away paint without the aggressive dremelling.

Thanks. The original is actually quite bright greyish olive green in the pictures available. Also weathering will dull things down quite a bit as well. If I do another I would mix colors and airbrush. The red parts are more signal orange. The prop doesn't have a military paint job it is more a search and rescue type.

Work is progressing slowly but surely; over my lunch break today I installed some screws and the top wheel greebly.

20180704_122917.jpg
20180704_122926.jpg
20180704_122932.jpg

I think the real screws lend some authenticity to the piece.

20180713_142513.jpg
20180713_142530.jpg

More work done here and there; Friday afternoon off work so a big push to get the greeblies attached, more screws installed and the electronics run. Just need to cut the windows and wait until my battery holder arrives and then it should be done!

That part that I didn't know what it was installed in the front bottom left hole on Adam's build? I got a very similar look from a 5mm yellow LED and a small bushing I printed then hit with some Molotow marker.

Decals are done, wired the electronics up over lunch, weathered it today after dinner...

Yellow LED in front, blue status LED in back. Ignore missing sensor it fell off in transport today, must have just press fit it instead of gluing. new one printing now.

20180717_192834.jpg

20180717_192858.jpg

Then a light weathering job. Brown acrylic paint watered down, and a gentle toss in the garden for some grit/dirt.

20180717_192841.jpg

20180717_192926.jpg

Just gotta cut the windows, install then I'm pretty much done with this build. I have some PU material coming for a strap but that's on the slow boat from china.

Would be great if someone did a run of these as kits!?!?
I've been lusting after one ever since I saw Adam Savage's build.

I was just thinking the other day that this would make a great kit if the main three parts were cast out of aluminum.

Okay last update!

Got all the windows into place over the past two days. It's been a long build but worth it, very happy with how this turned out and thanks to the OP for the files!

20180720_112526.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back