Millennium Falcon parts for 3d Printing

Ok, how does one order these? I've heard that when you order from shapeways, you don't just e-mail and say you want them in 1/48 you have to give measurements. The size I would need to fit in my SMT cockpit is aprox. 2 3/8 diameter. Is that how I would order them? basically the bottoms' outer edges need to be 2 3/8 apart.

is that correct? Or do I just order it and say I need it in 1/48? There's some real cool stuff on shapeways, but have always been a bit intimidated in ordering from them.

So the answer is always more complicated than it should be. Lol. But here goes.

The files I'm providing are STEP files. These are the equivalent of "vector" images - they are resolution independent and made-up of multiple objects to create the whole "part". They can be cut-up and modified in most CAD programs and I intend and hope that people will do so - making them better over time - or doing variants - like ESB editions.

Why STEP files? A couple reasons...

Due to the surface/solid nature of the files - you could take them a part and use just the bits that are useful to you. All the buttons, toggles, LED's, levers and so-on are separate objects within the file and could be printed separate or as a whole assembly.

Due to their resolution independence - they can be scaled easily and retain their integrity. They also don't make any assumptions about how the parts will be printed. Different printers have different idiosyncrasies. Having the source files allows them to be prepped for any printer.

What you need to print them...

The STEP files need to be converted to STL files - these are triangulated meshes that can be read by a printer.

STL files are by nature, not resolution independent. They are tessellated and whatever facets are present in the file are what print. Making smooth, good-looking 3D prints is directly related how the files have been triangulated. I could just make really high-resolution meshes - but the file sizes get too big to easily pass around. My STL of the console (as seen in the renderings) is 5GB. Of course - I'm doing renderings that show way more detail than I could print at miniature scale.

Which brings us to scale...

Since scale and the amount of detail in the tessellated model and the type of printer that is being used are all interdependent, hopefully it's clear why I've done what I've done. Especially for the full scale stuff. If someone wanted to 3d print a full-scale cockpit - they could. And the STEP files would allow for that; they can be broken down into the base components and printed in bits - all tessellated at an appropriate resolution to look good at that scale.

I typically scale the STEP files to the size I want them, then mesh the model to a resolution just a bit higher than what my printer is capable of.

So now what?

Well, the reality is that even I'm still trying to figure out the best way to make all these parts. That that's on multiple levels - what detail will hold-up, what processes are best used, how the whole thing assembles.

I hope that people are taking my source files and figuring that out too (and letting me know how it goes at least - sharing their modifications at best) and we all go on together.

I know that this was sort of a long-winded non-answer. But it's where I'm at, and it's what I've done so far. And so goes the project.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
J.

PS: I think once I get in to making the kit parts it will go quicker - by nature, they are small bits, and are more easily managed. But my plan still holds to work in resolution independent formats and let the user decide how to mesh and print the files. A hypothetical scenario is someone wants to make a full scale falcon - but the original 5' falcon used a ¼" scale wankel transmission as a greeble. So you could take the kit part and scale it up 5.5x and have the right part for the full sized bird - at this point you'd probably be machining the part and not printing it - but the STEP files are good for that too.

- - - Updated - - -

MF_Cockpit-Assembled_14.246_2k.jpg

Just a composite of all the digital bits so far.

Do you have any plans to break up the components in such a way as to make it easier to light? Opaque sections fitting onto clear section so that the lights show through? Would that be hard to do?

Awesome work by the way, I can't wait to see what you do next..

Cheers

Michael

Started on the Entex Transmission. Just taking a break form control panels! Button, button, button, button button...

Definitely a work in progress, only one done so far - and only partially so at that.

EntexRotaryTransmission.254.jpg

maruska I have to thank you for your 2d plans of the 32" ESB Falcon, it was very useful to me when I was building the falcon sometime ago. (I forget were it was posted).. but very very useful..

No worries! You're welcome!They've been on the Yahoo forums for years, and my falcon site for about as many.

Glad they could help!

:)

MilleniumFalcon_FlightSim.png

Ok, so while I was waiting for my Solidworks and Alias licenses to get updated, I did a little side project. A Millennium Falcon flight sim!

Well, technically it simulates the display on the dashboard console - or my imagining of it.

It has 360+ of the known planets in the Star Wars galaxy mapped in 3D space and you can fly around and explore the whole galaxy.

The little compass thingy at the bottom always points toward the center of the galaxy (it's easy to get lost) and the planet names appear as you fly close to them.

The read-out at the top shows current heading and and speed and a bunch of other stuff - but It's all in Aurebesh, of course. So get to translating.

The controls are:

W - dive

S - climb

A - bank left

D - bank right

Q - hyperspace (of sorts)

E - brake

Enjoy!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back