Warhammer 40K Space Marine Full Scale - New at this (WIP Breakdown)

can I ask a couple of technical questions about how you did the written word stuff on the armour? I am working on a SM shoulder-pad and am wondering what the best way will be to do embossed text without losing detail in the painting. The costume is amazing and you have definite talent especially going from the digital file to in the ceramite in that small amount of time. Also I would be intrigued to see your template for the shoulder pad as I am collecting as many as I can find in order to get one that works.

Hey guys, and thanks for the additional compliments. I've tried to send everyone templates who has asked for them. If you asked and I missed you, please just send me another IM as it was not intentional.
jediknight129: I sent you a PM. In the mean time, the embossed text on my suit, such as the "Imperator Telum" on my left shoulder plate was done just using craft foam. I got .25" foam, drew out my letters, cut 'em out and glued them on. As easy as that. I think it worked out pretty well. For alternatives though, you could possibly use things like puffy paint, wood, plasti-card, etc. The nice thing about the foam is it's cheap and easy to work with and it takes paint well, especially if you coat it in white glue or plasti-dip first.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an awesome suit! Looking at trying to build one myself. Everything seems to be more expensive in the UK though

WOW! that Armour is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Having a break from miniature gaming to have a go at new things which brought me back to this forum (long term lurker, 1st time poster on the forum),
If its not me been to bold, iv just PM you Hasenbrau.
I would love to give making my own space marine Armour a go.

Hey Awesome job. I love the idea bout the latex chaulk to fill seams. Would you mind sending me your templates as well? Also would you mind explaining more how you got your stilts to work inside your boots? Also how was your balance and mobility for wearing them? I'm trying to make a similar project and I'm having trouble planning out the stilts situation.

Hey guys, thanks for the additional compliments.

For templates, please PM me an email address you'd like the zip file sent. Also, I have two versions of the templates: Full size (my suit) and a roughly 6'6" scaled down version I made at request a while back. When you shoot me the PM, let me know which zip file you'd prefer.
endo500: As far as mobility goes, it was pretty easy to stomp around in the suit. I even danced in it at the party. Since they're drywall stilts, they're designed to be fairly easy to use and mobile, as well as comfortable when just standing still. Admittedly I found them to be a lot of fun. There's flex at the base that functions a lot like an ankle, a tension spring restricts how far they'll lean forward and back, and is sometimes adjustable. In my suit, the large portion of the shoe was just bolted flat onto the "feet" of the drywall stilts, or rather, the stilts were bolted into the feet. The toes were hinged to the large part of the foot and the shin armor with attached knee was mounted to the leg brace of the drywall stilt, all allowing for the suit's ankle to pivot with the stilts' when I walked.

All that said, be careful if you're going to mess around on stilts, obviously you could get seriously hurt just on the stilts alone, but depending on your costume plan, that could be compounded with limiting other mobility or additional weight. Fortunately this Space Marine foam build is pretty light, the heaviest components are the lower legs due to the stilts themselves. Also be sure to add traction to the "feet" of your costume if the foot pads of the stilts are no longer going to serve as such. The drywall stilts are designed with gripping, rubber traction pads. On my suit's boots I used textured EVA foam screwed into the wood of the boot.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,

I've been inactive on here for several months now and I wanted to apologize to all the folks who PMed me with kind words and Template requests. For all of you who sent messages and never heard back from me (I see there were many!), hopefully you can still make some use out of my templates. I would have liked to respond to each and everyone of you, but other projects have kept me away.

Good luck on all of your own builds and keep in mind that my templates are not perfect and that I did plenty of alteration post cutout. Also, I personally never built anything off the smaller scale set. That was made by request for someone.

If you have any questions please ask, I should be able to be a bit more active throughout the summer and who knows, maybe I can actually finish this thing!

I'm building a similar project and wanted to know how did you mount the boots to the stilts or get them to stay inside?

endo500:

The boots are indeed mounted to the stilts as well as the lower legs. On page two of this thread, around step 26 there's an image of the underside of one of the boots before I added the foam padding to the bottom. You'll see that I built the bottoms of the boot segments out of wood. The stilts themselves came with rubber foot pads mounted to hard plastic "feet" one front one back pad on each stilt. I removed the two pads on each stilt, which were held on by screws. I then aligned the stilts in the boots where I wanted them and then drilled matching holes through the wood of the boot and bolted the feet to the stilts with nuts and bolts that matched the fittings of the original stilt pad hardware.

The toes of the boots, with their own separate wood base, were mounted to the main portion of the boot with two metal hinges. The top of the toe has an internal catch that keeps it from hinging down when you lift the foot while walking around so you get a more realistic looking heal-toe action.

The Leg portion is essentially suspended over the stilt with some thin steel bar bent into shape to hold the piece in the right position, and can still be adjusted if need be. You can see what this looked like in progress in the step 27 photo. I affixed that bar to the leg armor with foam strips glued over it, essentially sandwiching the metal bar.

Luckily the scale of this thing allowed for a lot of space internally to arrange the stilts after completing the parts.

I hope that info helps. Whatever you do you'll want to make sure nothing is going to come lose or slip around and get in the way of your movement while on the stilts. Even 16 extra inches can do some damage if you trip. Good luck!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back