Golden Snitch wings (Harry Potter)

Shortly after my last message I started a new job so this got put on the back burner. I just took a look at what still needs to be done. Shouldn't take more than a few hours to fix the art and rebuild stencils. I'll give it a go in the next few days. I'm once again dealing with new job possibilities, but I'll put this back on a front burner.

I spent a little time and did some of the art changes. I changed the wings a little. They have a point and a downward angle before coming to a point at the tip. I noticed that when looking through the pictures again. The base of the feathers was also changed. I don't think it has the right curve to it, and I'll likely change it again. Here's what I have at the moment...

4.jpg

5.jpg

Nice catch! Never noticed these details. Looks pretty accurate to me. Were you planning on doing a run of these along with a snitch itself, or just the wings?

Nice catch! Never noticed these details. Looks pretty accurate to me. Were you planning on doing a run of these along with a snitch itself, or just the wings?

There was at one time a plan to make the body of the snitch as well. I think that's going to be more of a pipe dream at this point. I did make a small forge and played with molten aluminum for a little bit. Brass takes much higher heat to melt. I'm not going to say absolutely no, as I may use a week of vacation and get inspired again, but for the foreseeable future, it's just going to be the wings. I may have another wing in the next few days. Today and tomorrow are my days off from work. I'll see what I can get done.

I have Zlurpo's bronze snitch, so only the wings would be nice already. I should be able to attach them to the snitch with some non-permanent glue...

How about if someone connected the wings to tiny spherical neodymium magnets that attached to hidden magnets in the "wing sockets" of the snitch so that they could rotate freely and even be removed if desired?

(I have nothing constructive to add to this)

Time for an update that isn't really an update. I've been building a device that will make etching larger pieces easier. I've gone through a few versions in the last month with varying degrees of success. I just finished another one last night, and have sent out some pieces to be made in case the newest version doesn't work the way I want it to. Once significant progress on that has been made, I'll post an update.

As far as this being a sales thread, there is an interest thread within the pages here somewhere, but this has never been a sales thread. I apologize if it was taken that way. I'm just trying to make some wings.

Time for an update that isn't really an update. I've been building a device that will make etching larger pieces easier. I've gone through a few versions in the last month with varying degrees of success. I just finished another one last night, and have sent out some pieces to be made in case the newest version doesn't work the way I want it to. Once significant progress on that has been made, I'll post an update.

As far as this being a sales thread, there is an interest thread within the pages here somewhere, but this has never been a sales thread. I apologize if it was taken that way. I'm just trying to make some wings.

TDP - Glad to see you're still working on this! I was confused too by the post about this being a sales thread???

D3adrock - Using small spherical magnets is novel idea, but I can't think of a way to actully secure the rib of the wing to one. A "bead" shaped magnet would be ideal. It seems though that magnets are harder than drill bits, and I've never been successful in trying to drill one. EDM would be a possibility, but $$$.

ATL

Oh god, this is gorgeous! How did you manage this kind of detail on the wings if you don't mind?
amazing job! (y)

eethan

Somewhere in this thread is a link to a very well done brass etching tutorial by TheDarkPope . Follow that religiously.
3 FeCl etched.jpg

Each wing is a pair of interleaved brass etchings, silver plated (I used Plug-N-Plate by Caswell), clamped together, and soldered using silver filled paste. I used transparencies printed on an ink jet printer, LED "black lights" from Home Depot, resist, a laminator, and mg scale from Amazon and had better results with muriatic acid/hydrogen peroxide than with ferric chloride.
4 Plated clamped and soldered.jpg

:) I like the cat...

Each wing is a pair of interleaved brass etchings, silver plated (I used Plug-N-Plate by Caswell),

How did you like that Caswell kit? I've been thinking of getting a couple of those for various projects and was curious about your thoughts on them.

How did you like that Caswell kit? I've been thinking of getting a couple of those for various projects and was curious about your thoughts on them.

Serenity

I initially purchased a copper kit with the 4.5 volt wall-wart supply, and just a bottle of the copy-chrome solution. I used this for plating the booster on the OWK light saber (years ago :(). It worked very well. I then bought the brass solution for a Felix Felicis stand, and although it went on well, within a month or two it started green oxidizing. It wasn't pretty... I recently bought the silver kit which has a lower voltage (1.7 volt) supply just for the snitch wings. It applied very easily - I was amazed, but it does have to be polished before it'll shine. My advice would be to make sure that whatever you're plating is really, really clean before you start, and wear gloves to avoid fingerprints and getting the solution(s) on your skin.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back