Movies That Need a Special Edition

As much as I hate to even say it, I would love a special edition of Evil Dead 2. Wire removal (which they already did for one scene but not the others which is weird), digitally adding the ceiling to the cabin instead of seeing the soundstage, etc. I would especially love to update some of the stop motion background plates.

Especially the Ash vs Henrietta fight, which notably drops in quality and looks out of focus because of the rear projection. It really sticks out in, what is otherwise, my favorite scene.

View attachment 845040

To me, the awful SFX have always been part of it’s charm.

I would like to see "the crow uncut" with all the deleted scenes added back in. after watching these scenes I actually said "wow" and "why cut this out?". it was B.L. last movie why not go all the way on the big screen?? and I have no idea why they didn't include his "last on camera interview" to the dvd's??? it was only available on the VHS... :confused

Legend would be interesting, if only they would combine all the current versions of the film into a single one that contains all of the scenes... (the US broadcast, theatrical, and UK broadcast versions all have a different combination of scenes, and each has scenes that aren't in at least both of the others).

Superman. Fix those out of whack flying backgrounds.....and that little toy town he saves.

I would like to see a version with the deleted scenes added in like when it was originally broadcast on TV back in the early 1980's. They cut a lot of things for the theatrical version to make it shorter and when I saw it on TV some things made a lot more sense.

I would like to see a version with the deleted scenes added in like when it was originally broadcast on TV back in the early 1980's. They cut a lot of things for the theatrical version to make it shorter and when I saw it on TV some things made a lot more sense.

That Blu-ray exists, I just bought one from amazon perhaps two months ago. It wasn’t as good as I remembered, and the flow of the movie isn’t as good. The entrance into Luthor’s lair is better, but that’s about it......and the special effects certainly arent improved.

65AA49C1-7431-4759-849B-1036E31B2A0E.jpeg

That Blu-ray exists, I just bought one from amazon perhaps two months ago. It wasn’t as good as I remembered, and the flow of the movie isn’t as good. The entrance into Luthor’s lair is better, but that’s about it......and the special effects certainly arent improved.

View attachment 845719

Thanks, I'll have to get that and see if it is anything like I remember.

That version of King Kong actually aired over two nights. Either late 70s or early 80s. I was about 16 or 17 I think.

I'll never forget it. We didn't have cable or a high enough antennae to pick up the channel it was on, but my Grandmother did and she was out of town that week. So, since I had a key, I decided to take some beer and pot over to her house to watch the broadcasts. First night went fine.

Second night, turns out her neighbor knew she was out of town, saw the light and called my Dad and the cops! Luckily, my Dad arrived a few minutes before the police got there. I saw him pull in the driveway and freaked out! Ran out the front door, met him getting out of his car, explained that I just wanted to see the movie and he was okay with that. Right then the police showed up! We told them what was going on and they accepted it and my Dad and the cops all left--luckily without anyone entering the house. Not only was I in there drinking underage, but just getting totally wasted on weed.

That was a close one.......but I got to see the extended version of King Kong! :lol

A truly realistic JAWS shark is possible now.

You wouldn't get it by hiring a cheap effects company. But it's possible if a top team was on the job (and not crunched under tight cost or time deadlines).

A good SE would mean no editing changes. The directing & editing of JAWS are perfect. The movie doesn't need a single new shot. The SFX in the existing shots could use work.

I got chased out of the room years ago when I suggested this.

I wouldn't have a problem with a really well-done version of Jaws where the shark looks more real, provided it was done exceptionally well with no corners cut. AND provided that the original version was given proper archival treatment and still made available.

As I've said (here? elsewhere, for sure) I have no problems with special editions as long as you provide the home audience with a proper archival version of the original material. Personally, I want that for film history purposes.

JAWS has a few nuts & bolts that need correcting, like any pre-CGI movie. The 'day for night' scenes aren't dark enough to look like night. There are shots where you can see the shoreline too near the action. Etc.

The CGI shark issue raises a question - what do we WANT the shark to look like? The Bruce mechanical ones had exaggerated proportions. A real GW, even one 25 feet long, would have a smaller mouth/face. A slimmer body. Smaller fins. The public bought it (barely) in 1975 but today people are more familiar with real GWs.

Were Brody & Quint & Hooper battling an overgrown real GW? Or a classic movie monster like Godzilla and Frankenstein? Maybe we need two SE versions.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back