Star Wars Door Frame Build

dbetters

Everyone,

I am looking around for a Star Wars door frame build. I am decent at putting things together and building, but I am not so good at developing plans from scratch. We are looking to build a door frame that echoes the frame around Darth Vader and Obi Wan as they are fighting in A New Hope. This frame will be mounted to a parade float. I am looking for plans to build the frame out. I am attaching a bad Photoshop sketch of what we're trying to accomplish. Obi Wan and Vader will be live. Sound from the scene will be playing throughout the parade route. Any help???
Float Concept (Smaller).jpg

Are you after a star wars inspired frame or a copy of the actual frame from the film?EPIV_Kenobi_Vader_Fighting.jpg It looks pretty straight forward. will you be making it all by hand or are you after a CNC kit to just assemble? You can find a local laser/water or CNC company near you.

Are you after a star wars inspired frame or a copy of the actual frame from the film?View attachment 833029 It looks pretty straight forward. will you be making it all by hand or are you after a CNC kit to just assemble? You can find a local laser/water or CNC company near you.

I am after a Star Wars look but not necessarily an exact replica. Since the float will be moving at a walking pace on a trailer. I'm looking for ideas on how to create the two-way facade. The characters have to be seen from both sides of the street so the "door" like the photo that you included has to arch over top of Obi Wan and Vader. I will be making it all by hand.

I don't think people would mind if the blast-door frame is in front or behind of Obi-Wan and Vader. After all, in the movie there are camera angles from both sides of the door.
By not having them in the gate, it would be easier to have diagonal beams that would help with supporting the frame and provide a more authentic look.

My local 501st Legion garrison had Death Star walls made from boxes of MDF with wood beams as reinforcement. Built by one man in a small garage using primarily a table saw, but I think he must also have had a handheld jigsaw and hole saw (very wide drill bit). Then those were puttied and then painted with regular wall paint and that was done by multiple people.
The translucent white plastic was signage from when a nearby pizza place had closed down: the old print was on the interior side so it was not visible... The walls were heavy and bulky though but if your doors are on a moving trailer and subjected to wind then some heft might not be a drawback.

If this is not already for the local 501st/Rebel Legion then I suggest that you contact them. They might have local members that have built something similar, and may possibly be willing to lend you manpower in return for "disposing" of the doors after the parade.

If you send me photos and exact dimensions ( as close as possible ) of the trailer, I'll do the drawing for you it shouldn't take more than a day.
and then you can say you had someone who worked on star wars design them. just don't time them it was the terrible last jedi :wacko

If you send me photos and exact dimensions ( as close as possible ) of the trailer, I'll do the drawing for you it shouldn't take more than a day.
and then you can say you had someone who worked on star wars design them. just don't time them it was the terrible last jedi :wacko

SERIOUSLY? That would be so helpful! I will get some pictures today along with dimensions. I really can't thank you enough. And for what it's worth, I enjoyed the Last Jedi :) Thank you so much!

Thank you so much. Was able to get out to get the dimensions and pictures. I am uploading pictures with dimensions on them as well in feet and inches.

The plan would be to screw down some wooden pallets inside of the trailer to make a deck just about 4 inches below the metal walls. The gate on the trailer will be removed. Thank you so much!

Trailer:
Length 12'3"

Width 6'5"

Height from bottom of wheel to top: 42"

Height inside walls from platform to top of side walls: 1'10"
Trailer 1.jpgTrailer 2.jpgTrailer Inside.jpg

untitled.954.jpguntitled.953.jpgView attachment float door.JPG if this is the kind of thing your after I can brake it down and turn it in to construction drawing. it can all be done with a jigsaw, table saw, nail gun or screw gun and I've even done it in the antiquated old fashioned measuring system america uses. (come on america your the only country in the world now who hasn't switched over) funny thing is you all buy metric bullets :) .

View attachment 833613View attachment 833614View attachment 833615 if this is the kind of thing your after I can brake it down and turn it in to construction drawing. it can all be done with a jigsaw, table saw, nail gun or screw gun and I've even done it in the antiquated old fashioned measuring system america uses. (come on america your the only country in the world now who hasn't switched over) funny thing is you all buy metric bullets :) .

This is EXACTLY the idea that I am hoping to achieve. It's perfect. Old fashioned measuring would save me time, but being that you are doing this for me, anything that saves you time is fine with me. This is perfect. Thank you!

OK I start the drawings. I don't have imperial timber stock in my computer but I can look them up. I'll try and keep everything 2 x 4 rough cut and 1/4 and 1/2 so its not too heavy or expensive

OK I start the drawings. I don't have imperial timber stock in my computer but I can look them up. I'll try and keep everything 2 x 4 rough cut and 1/4 and 1/2 so its not too heavy or expensive

Thank you, thank you, thank you so much! I will be sure to post up pics and vid as we finish it and use it. We have 30 kids marching in Jedi robes in the parade. Hopefully some of my 501st Garrison mates can make it too.

MP me with you email address and I'll send you PDFs and the E drawing . good luck with your project and post photos
PS you can make changes and free style where ever you like.

MP me with you email address and I'll send you PDFs and the E drawing . good luck with your project and post photos

Thank you so much Flimzy! I am messaging you my e-mail address. I really can't thank you enough. I will post photos and try and do some build photos too and post up. This is excellent.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you so much Flimzy! I am messaging you my e-mail address. I really can't thank you enough. I will post photos and try and do some build photos too and post up. This is excellent.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back