Selling Painted Items?

barbquebutt

So I've been wanting to do a custom Jason hockey mask for a while. I found a couple sites that sell blanks that can be custom painted. I was going to pick one up for myself, and if I think the finished product is favorable, I was thinking about painting and selling them on spec.

My question I want to pose to the community is: Is it unethical or uncouth to sell these? Like most companies that sell Jason masks, their masks are "pulled from film molds" and the differences are negligible if there are any at all. But, I don't want to be one of those scumbags that steals others' work and sells it as their own.

So what does everyone think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as you say that you are offering a painted product of an available blank then i see no problem?

making copies of the blanks are a no no

-z

I agree with zorg as long as you don't try to pass off the mask as your own, even give credit to where you sourced it, you should be good. It would help your price point, you already have a base price without paint, so people can see where the money is going. Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I wholeheartedly agree with the above two responses. Always give credit to the source. It will in no way take away from your customization of it.

Or just offer it as a service. As in they are buying the mask from the other guys and you're offering painting services for it. Just happens that you also handle ordering and shipping the mask to you prior to painting.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back