Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

Seeing as that's the only time it's been pronounced in any licensed audio/visual medium, it's the only thing to go by! And since it originated the name, it gets to establish the pronunciation. ;)

I can't ever remember hearing the words "Tantive Four" said together out loud by a human and there hasn't been a day since I was 7 that I haven't at least thought about star wars.
If I have I seriously can't recall it. I have of course read it.

Blockade runner, I've heard hundreds of times in documentaries and personal conversations with my mates.

It's a bit like "at at" rather than "ay-tee ay-tee". and to a lesser extent "chicken walker" rather than "ay-tee ess-tee".

But then I will always say "star wars" "empire" and "jedi" :)

I think I'm your clone......every thing you've said are my thoughts too

I hate T-47's,....they're F'n Snowspeeders!!

J

Wow. Okay. Where to start? The beginning, I guess...

Call it what you will. It is a fictitious ship from a movie.

Then why is it so important that you be right and I wrong? ;):D

Up till about 2000, all the licensees called it a Blockade Runner. So please don't pretend like it's not correct, or you are some how more enlightened, because you call it by it's newer name.

I was barely old enough to register the original film when my parents took me to see it. I had the novelization and storybook and read-along audio tape. Then my parents started getting me the action figures and vehicles around the time the 12-backs became the 24-backs. I remember the Holiday Special. Then, by the time TESB came out in 1980, I had Splinter of the Mind's Eye and was collecting the Marvel comics (although Rom Spaceknight #1 gets pride of place as the first comic I ever bought). My folks had gotten me the Star Wars release of the Millennium Falcon, all the rest of my vehicles were for Empire. Novelization and storybook and read-along tape, too, plus the pop-up book and Marvel adaptation...

I'm not afraid to eat a little crow, when I have to. I hate being wrong, so I try to keep it to a minimum. It still happens from time to time (shock gasp horror!!). In my defense, I was 2 when Star Wars came out. I can't remember a time when I wasn't at least vaguely aware of its existence, but the span from Star Wars to Empire was also a period of increasing sapience on my part. I just went back and checked, since it's been a few years since I'd read the Star Wars novelization. I was... *braces* ... in error where the facts are concerned. The first instance in the outer world of the ship's actual name was the radio drama in early '81. I think I must be collapsing later adaptations in with my earlier memories. Like the manga or the Special Edition adaptation from Dark Horse or something.

That said, not quite four years after Star Wars came out does not constitute "decades". Yes, all through here, up until 1983, when ROTJ came out, Leia's ship was the only one of that type we'd seen. So yeah, the references calling it a "Rebel Blockade Runner" -- all the way back to the script (which I hadn't read yet, by that point) -- weren't incorrect, and for six years we didn't know whether it was the only Rebel Blockade Runner. Especially even though we'd never seen it run any blockades. *heh* The implication I never saw voiced (at the time) was that it had run an Imperial blockade to get the Death Star plans. I have seen it called many things. The novelization and storybook call it a "galactic cruiser". The '80s also saw it dubbed an Alderaanian cruiser, Alderaanian transport, and Corellian corvette. None of these are wrong, and none, IMO, supercede any other. But it's name is its name.

I know not everyone listened to the NPR radio drama (I recommend it), then or now, but that doesn't remove its presence or contribution. The name's been out there for over three and a half decades. I'm not "more enlightened" just because I caught it when it debuted. I just question vehement opposition from those who didn't.

--Jonah

I heard the radio drama in '81 though I don't recall how Tantive was pronounced. I've always read it as Tan-tiv but whatever.

...I hate T-47's,....they're F'n Snowspeeders!!

J

I only heard of snowspeeders called T-47s within the last few years. I didn't know what 21B was referring to in ESB but it never occurred to me that it was snowspeeders. I always figured it was some medical equipment, what else would the medical droid care about?

But if you really want to get technical, why are they called snowspeeders? They had to be adapted to the cold weather, they even had trouble adapting them to the cold. Why would snowspeeders need to be adapted for cold? In the film they're referred to as speeders.

I love these new Rogue One discussions :lol

I heard the radio drama in '81 though I don't recall how Tantive was pronounced. I've always read it as Tan-tiv but whatever.

I only heard of snowspeeders called T-47s within the last few years. I didn't know what 21B was referring to in ESB but it never occurred to me that it was snowspeeders. I always figured it was some medical equipment, what else would the medical droid care about?

But if you really want to get technical, why are they called snowspeeders? They had to be adapted to the cold weather, they even had trouble adapting them to the cold. Why would snowspeeders need to be adapted for cold? In the film they're referred to as speeders.

I think in the radio drama they pronounce it Tanti-vee. That's the first time I heard it because I also thought it was "Tantiv".

There's actually a variant speeder that was in the manual for the game Force Commander. The game sucked so bad I uninstalled it after about 5 days and I actually threw it out. I saved the pics in the manual because they were cool though. :lol I wanted to make a model of it, but haven't got around to it yet.

WeJ8oYn.png

Ditto. And Luke's response: "Well, forget the heavy equipment. There's plenty of time to get the smaller modules on the transports." Nothing about that ever indicated, to me, that he was referring to the snowspeeders he was about to lead into battle. I think the rationale goes along the lines that X-Wings are T-65's, so the "T-47" bit must refer to some other flying thing from the same company. I can see it, I admit, but in the context of the only extant dialogue the link seems forced.

Well, technically they're airspeeders. I don't know when I first ran across the term, but it was back there in the same '80s murk of pre-Renaissance Star Wars data-accumulation. Adapted to the cold, "snowspeeder" makes plenty of sense as verbal shorthand. But I never assumed that was what was on the manufactuer's ID plate. Same way the Imperial troops they were fighting on Hoth were likely just Stormtroopers in "Combat Armor, Extreme Temperature (Cold)", and not officially "Snowtroopers". Same as spacebob's Chicken Walker reference (while I've known that term forever, I've always preferred calling them "Chorus Girls").

--Jonah

Can thank the West End Games RPG for that one. Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments From the Rim. So much awesome in there. That was the introduction of the Storm Commandos, and the chapter on "leisure activities" is a goldmine of mixed drinks to music groups. One section also has Rebel SpecOps slang for various situations, tools, weapons, and Imperial assets. :)

--Jonah

Someone had a good theory that the dude on the radio misread Tantive IV as 'Tantiveiv'.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "theory" so much as "desperate grasping at straws". One need only refer to the actual source material to refute it. Episode 2, 3:30-ish. Leia ("the dude" in question) says "TAN-tih-vee four" pretty darn clearly. As many Twitter respondees, and, apparently, a nonzero number of folks here, can attest, the spelling doesn't necessarily lend itself to that pronunciation. The actor was directed to pronounce it that way. On purpose. Because that's how it's supposed to be pronounced.

As I said a bit upthread, I don't argue unless I feel the facts back me up. And in this case, this is not me relying on what turned out to be fuzzy recollection. This is me having just listened to it again to make sure. I'll re-delve into the origins of the name, but I don't know how much I'll find. There are a few Brian Daley interviews, and between them and Rinzler's Making of Star Wars, if it's not there, the answer likely doesn't exist.

--Jonah

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back