Avengers: Infinity War (Pre-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Avengers: Infinity War

With beings like Thanos, or Warlock (though I don't think he is in this) and the Infinity Gauntlet completed?

Death is no longer a state as we understand it.

Thanos can get so complex that the purposes he serves
are so above us that labeling him the bad guy is too simple

Depends how deep into things they want to go.

The casualty count I fully expect to be quite high.

It's going to be a survivors game about who is left to witness Thano's triumph.

And then some Marvel magic will happen. ;) I'll shut up now.

That's my guess.

Isn't this a two part movie? Or did I imagine that?

They were originally Infinity War Parts I and II, but then they changed their mind and said they are independent (but related?) to each other. They won't announce the title of the next one however, making me think the title is a spoiler for Infinity war.

Absolutely EPIC. Somewhere in Hollywood everyone at the DC offices just let out a collective "well, ****". :lol

At least Marvel didnt release this the weekend Justice League opened. They've had a tendency to do things like that in the past. I actually kind of enjoy it, but it is a little like picking on the slow kid in class.

At least Marvel didnt release this the weekend Justice League opened. They've had a tendency to do things like that in the past. I actually kind of enjoy it, but it is a little like picking on the slow kid in class.

Well, they did let Netflix release The Punisher the same day so it's not like they completely restrained themselves. :lol

Isn't this a two part movie? Or did I imagine that?

Captain Marvel comes out March 2019. I wonder if/how closely it will tie into all this. Originally the second Infinity War movie was slated to come out about 10 months after Captain Marvel, but now that it has been pushed back I wonder if it will still be after or possibly before . . .

And just like that, Marvel creates a better super hero ensemble in JUST A TRAILER than DC has managed to accomplish in every film to date.

Marvel films "get" Marvel, they creatively grasp what they hold to adapt to film successfully.
Recent DC films are clueless as to what their source material is. They needlessly crap the bed.

01-button1967-MMM.jpg

The trailer does look good, but - and I'm sure I'm in the minority here - Age of Ultron and Civil War didn't do it for me.
I thought they were both cluttered and clunky and disjointed and crowded and confused.
I hope this one's better, but it looks even more cluttered and clunky and disjointed and crowded and confused than both of those combined.
I hope I'm wrong, because I never thought I'd see the day when 30 A-list actors got together to make a single superhero epic.

The trailer does look good, but - and I'm sure I'm in the minority here - Age of Ultron and Civil War didn't do it for me.
I thought they were both cluttered and clunky and disjointed and crowded and confused.
I hope this one's better, but it looks even more cluttered and clunky and disjointed and crowded and confused than both of those combined.
I hope I'm wrong, because I never thought I'd see the day when 30 A-list actors got together to make a single superhero epic.
Yeah dude youre definitely in the minority here. I still dont get why people didnt like Age of Ultron, I thought it was good. And yeah, I see the resemblence to the first one with the tons of badguys(robots, aliens) but what else would you do with a super hero ensemble like that? Usually you and I agree on most stuff, but I couldnt disagree more with the "cluttered and clunky" sentiments. You must not be a comics follower either. Cause if you were, this movie wouldnt confuse you at all. ;)

Also I really hope this dethrones Avatar for top box office. I still dont understand how that movie made so much money considering what it was.
Dessa Couldnt agree more with all your points, very well said. I personally hate Black Widows short, blonde hair. She looks like trailer trash.

Last edited by a moderator:

...You must not be a comics follower either.

I'm not. I read and collected comics when I was young, but that was almost 30 years ago.
I sold my collection in the mid '90s and haven't bought or read a comic book since.

Consider me cautiously optimistic about Infinity War.
I completely agree on Age Of Ultron. I liked Civil War well enough, but Age Of Ultron was a mess and largely forgettable. I blame that largely on Joss Whedon. I know everyone hates me for my thoughts on this, but Joss Whedon has no idea how to tone down humor to create a menacing villain like Ultron. That was the first point when it really felt like Marvel was getting a bit bloated. AOU was the first time I felt "superhero fatigue" leaving the theater.

I haven't seen a lot of the new Marvel material, but Infinity War has me fairly interested. If for no reason other than to see how they handle that many A-listers on one roll of film. If we can stay away from too much dopey humor and a blue sky beam I think I can probably enjoy it. Really what I need is to feel a bit of urgency and edginess. I need a Marvel movie where it actually feels like things are at stake. Civil War accomplished that for me and I enjoyed it, but I need something further. I need to feel like my heroes have the potential to fail, maybe even die. I hope Infinity War can deliver on that.

I liked Civil War well enough, but Age Of Ultron was a mess and largely forgettable. I blame that largely on Joss Whedon. I know everyone hates me for my thoughts on this, but Joss Whedon has no idea how to tone down humor to create a menacing villain like Ultron.

Not knowing when to tone down the humor was also my only real gripe against Thor: Ragnarok. I mean, I did thoroughly enjoy the movie. I just wish it had the confidence in itself to know when to NOT go for the laugh. A problem AoU also had and which GotG 2 came uncomfortably close to. Again, I didn't actually dislike any of those films... but I think they'd have been better with a little more gravitas (ESPECIALLY Ragnarok, which had none).

I'm hoping, given the nature of how dangerous Thanos is supposed to be, that Infinity War will let this film have real emotional consequences -- and it appears from the trailer that it might (as long as they don't pull a Rogue One and remove all of the good trailer stuff from the final film...).

I love Ragnarok. Only a couple moments felt tonally "off" for me. My biggest problems with Age of Ultron and Iron Man 3 is that both of those should have been two movies apiece. There was too much being crammed into the runtime that needed to be told. They needed more room to develop organically, the way the MCU in general is. That, IMO, is why those felt so jarring.

And, ironically, I feel Rogue One would have been better if they hadn't killed everyone off. The rationale was lazy. "We never see them in the Original Trilogy, so they must all have died in the mission." *pff* Cassian and K-2SO and Chirrut, okay. Theirs were thematically-appropriate deaths, and worked for their character arcs. The rest felt like "body-count" deaths. Let the pilot live. We never see him again because he's doing things where Our Heroes aren't. Maybe he was piloting one of the transports in the Hoth evacuation. As for Baze and Jyn? She already had little use for the Rebellion, and would have even less after learning that Cassian's boss had put a hit out on her dad. Baze had no affiliation to them, and with Chirrut gone, his only remaining tie was to his "little sister", Jyn. They go off on their own to continue having adventures on the fringe, and not part of the Galactic Civil War.

From watching the trailer a, ah... few times, now... I never trust the sequence in which trailers show us things. We see Thanos drop the Time Stone into the gauntlet's socket, next to the Power Stone. No others in evidence. He had to have hit Xandar first, which I'm hoping we see. Thanos getting the Infinity Stones is a perfect ticking-clock countdown for the film. At least a little screen time should be given to each of the six. So Xandar first. Then the Asgardian refugees. Then Earth -- he only has those two Stones for the shots of him fighting Iron Man. This makes me wonder when he will get the Reality Stone that we last saw in the keeping of the Collector.

At first, I felt he showed up over New York first. The more I watch, the more I think he shows up in Wakanda first. There's more of a lull in the action for Bruce and Nat to reconnect, and for Bruce to be working on the new Hulkbuster suit than I think would actually happen if everyone ran from new York to Wakanda in pursuit of Thanos. This also makes sense as IW will follow Black Panther's release. My speculation, from what we were left with at the end of Civil War and what we see here, is that Vision is in Wakanda to be with Wanda, and Thanos shows up there to get the Mind Stone. Then heads to New York to get the Time Stone that Strange now apparently has with him there in the New York Sanctum, rather than in Kamar-Taj, where he left it at the end of Doctor Strange, and where it presumably still was in Ragnarok, as he wasn't wearing it.

My wonderings and speculation... I wonder if this won't be the "Infinity Gauntlet" story from the comics, so much as part of Thanos' quest for the Stones. If he trounces Our Heroes as I feel he must, he'll leave earth with four of the six. The Reality Stone is still out there somewhere. And we have no idea about the Soul Stone. @Dessa related a friend's speculation that it's in Wakanda and what allows the king to commune with the Panther Spirit. Plausible. I could see it. On the other hand, that would mean three Infinity Stones had been on Earth for centuries-to-millennia. That starts to feel unlikely. The next Avengers movie was going to be IW2, but that's changed as things have evolved. We are now getting the next Ant-Man (and the Wasp) movie later in 2018, followed by Captain Marvel's origin movie set in the '90s, Avengers 4, the probably-Venom Spider-Man film, and GotG3, before we no longer have definite projects announced.

Those could change yet again, yes. But going with that sequence as it is now, I'm curious how the evolving macro-story that saw them make Avengers 4 not "Infinity War, Part 2" is going to affect those other films. James Gunn has said that the pod at the end of GotG2 is Adam Warlock, but that he won't be in Infinity War or Avengers 4. Given his association with the Soul Stone in the comics over the years, I don't know how they're going to play that. I don't know if GotG3 will be the next stage of Thanos' quest, where he gets the Reality Stone from the Collector and Adam Warlock comes into play, and the big, cosmic clash of everybody against a nigh-omnipotent Thanos takes place -- rather than in Avengers 4. Which would mean some other massive threat Our Heroes have to deal with in that film, set between Thanos hitting Earth and the actual "Infinity Gauntlet" story (which involved the Celestials, the Living Tribunal, Nebula, and so forth -- all cosmic entities more in GotG-land than the more Earth-centric stuff). I just don't know. My sense of how they're handling the MCU is that they'll take a moment following IW to let whoever's left catch their breath and up the ante a bit more before giving us the other bookend. I like to think they've learned from the over-compressed stories they've done. Age of Ultron especially.

We'll see.

--Jonah

They were originally Infinity War Parts I and II, but then they changed their mind and said they are independent (but related?) to each other. They won't announce the title of the next one however, making me think the title is a spoiler for Infinity war.

My guess is that it'll be like ESB/ROTJ

They're stand alone, but related.

In the first one, the heroes get their butts kicked thoroughly and in the second the come back and win the battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back