TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

My guess was cost.

On that note, is there any way to decently cover up some scuffs on my 2.0? There's a small patch where the brass is starting to show from a manufacturing defect. Anyone have any clever tips?

my father knows a guy who restores all kinds of vintage door knobs. he used to do some electroplating on brushed nickel.. i dont know if that technique could help you it seemed like a huge process and I'm willing to bet the whole tube would have to be plated over again.

personally to me, nicks, scratches and a little ding doesnt hurt anyone when it comes to a star wars prop. dont forget this saber is suppose to be over 40 years old now. heck the graflex in the maz box you can clearly see scratches.

i wouldn't stress over a little wear and tear

@DINVADER posted back here an article from Cinefex about the TFA props, and they stated that the tfa grips were rubber. The PropShop ones all have 3D printing in play, not comfort of actors. So I still believe that the Blastech-TCSS grips are a good option.

Not disagreeing that they are an option. It's what I have on my TFA Graflex.;) But there are also many articles about the old sabers used in ANH and ESB that casually mention "rubber" grips, and we know that isn't accurate. And now Propshop sells replicas with plastic grips. If they extruded rubber ones for the actual movie, they could easily do so for their official replicas. 3D printing would actually take more time. So as of now, we have evidence that supports rubber, and in my personal opinion, a bit stronger evidence in support of plastic. But we simply don't know 100%.

I'm happy with my tcss grips for now because the profile is right, the bottom curve is right, and the rubber is hard enough that it's not far off from feeling like plastic. That said, they come with cutouts already in them in the location of the ESB cutouts, which is 2mm closer to the endcap than the TFA cutouts should be. I split the difference with mine, but it created a small gap at the bottom. This would be no problem if one were going for a Maz saber look, as you could just trim the top as well. As-is for an outdoor hero, it still looks fine. The small gap doesn't really stand out.

Not disagreeing that they are an option. It's what I have on my TFA Graflex.;) But there are also many articles about the old sabers used in ANH and ESB that casually mention "rubber" grips, and we know that isn't accurate. And now Propshop sells replicas with plastic grips. If they extruded rubber ones for the actual movie, they could easily do so for their official replicas. 3D printing would actually take more time. So as of now, we have evidence that supports rubber, and in my personal opinion, a bit stronger evidence in support of plastic. But we simply don't know 100%.

I'm happy with my tcss grips for now because the profile is right, the bottom curve is right, and the rubber is hard enough that it's not far off from feeling like plastic. That said, they come with cutouts already in them in the location of the ESB cutouts, which is 2mm closer to the endcap than the TFA cutouts should be. I split the difference with mine, but it created a small gap at the bottom. This would be no problem if one were going for a Maz saber look, as you could just trim the top as well. As-is for an outdoor hero, it still looks fine. The small gap doesn't really stand out.

Do you have a pic of the TCSS grip profile? Haven't seen one photo of the profile.

Just received my TFA kit from Roy this morning :D Clamp cover wasn't exactly a joy to install but it's secure and looks great! Similarly expect to bend the top bits of your vintage clamp up ever so slightly to fit the card in, but the result is one accurate clamp section :D Thanks for all your work Roy!

IMG_1190.JPG

Just received my TFA kit from Roy this morning :D Clamp cover wasn't exactly a joy to install but it's secure and looks great! Similarly expect to bend the top bits of your vintage clamp up ever so slightly to fit the card in, but the result is one accurate clamp section :D Thanks for all your work Roy!

View attachment 656426

Was there a backing to the card? and I there was, how'd you ger it off? Just recived mine.

Back to grip profile for a minute, do we have any information about what they did for the grips? Presumably they didn't use the original t-track (which was possibly cast from original for ESB/ROTJ) as the profile is not exactly the same.

It was suggested to me that they 3d printed their own based on measurements of Master Replicas stuff, which kind of makes sense as they used the bits from the Master Replicas DL-44 for Han's hero blaster in the movie. They could easily have cast the MR grips or just taken them off and used them...

Has anyone (I'm looking at you Roy :) ) modelled an accurate TFA grip profile yet?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back